IGNORED

xasm webpage os online

Heaven/TQA

Thanks for pointing us to this one Karolj,

it looks very interesting. I would try it some more if I hadn't already done so much code using Atasm (and notepad!)

It has some nice features:

-Being able to not produce address headers is well handy... the 5200 guys could like this assembler too.

-The Psuedo code should speed development, but you soon end up with stuff that is very un-6502! (Fine if you know a few other languages though I guess)

No direct illegal op support? Not hard to create a macro though I suppose.

Fox sure must be a very busy person. This assembler project might also explain why we haven't seen too much of Vector yet!

Wow, this does look pretty cool. It's been years since I've done any 8-bit development, but a nice PC-based cross-compiler that I can use in my favorite editor would make for some pretty fast work.

Is this page new? I see that xasm has been through many versions (and is now up to 2.4 "final edition")..

..Al

hi guys,

yes. we use this assembler for years now... the history is very easy:

all western guys (me included) used MAC 65 or Atari assembler compatible stuff... most polish coders (which were far more productive in 90s) used an assembler called Quickass which is very strange compared to "standard" development tools...

so but noone codes anymore directly on the machine. most use PCs, EMUs and crossassemblers.

so FOX started this project (maybe because he is studing computer science) to be backwards compatible to quickass on atari 8bit... but as he is one of our main coders he has of course build his very own stuff to speed things up, esp. when coding demos which are HARDly optimized.

after years past by he included as well XBOOT which comes very handy as it generates automaticly an ATR image with your code AND puts an LOADER as well on the disc image. used with the /P option is far more interesting because this professional loader switches the atari OS completly off so nearly $ff00 ram free for coding...

i have put the assembler online on my webpage http://www.s-direktnet.de/homepages/k_nadj/main.html since 1999 but now fox has done official webpage... give it a try! it is really cool stuff!

fox is coding right now vector, does java stuff, codes & helps in Atari800win (as he knows the machine perfect) and we are preparing new mega demo (pssst... shit i have signed with taquart an NDA )

so quite a lot of going on in Taquart... and of course most of us are study and i am the oldest one which has a real job, as i am senior product manager...

cheers, karolj

ps. no... i havent got code genie work with xasm...i mailed foxy...

Heaven,

I'm really enjoying toying with XASM - its pretty easy to convert over ATSM and TASM stuff - the hardware register abbreviations are a bit odd at first - but I'm sure it will become second nature soon :-)

I have gotten Code Genie to work perfectly with XASM now - it was very rock yesterday afternoon - but I ended up just declaring a PATH to XASM in my AUTOEXEC.BAT (yes XP still uses that - so much for progress!) and its all wonderful now...

Looked at the TP source - intresting - I've not really gotten a grip on the FOX Kernal yet - any "deconstruction" would be great

sTeVE

the hardware register stuff is really "cryptical" but once realised how it works...very easy...saves time...

you mean the "sta ^1a" stuff which will be assemled to "sta $d01a" and "sta ^4e" will be "sta $d40e" i actually don't know why the hell he has invented this stuff...maybe it was "quickass" standard...

really bad thing in converting old sources to XASM is the "DC.B" stuff which has to be converted to "DTA b(a,b,c)" but maybe in new version 2.4 he allowed the "DC.B" directives...

re his kernel routines... i have no clue either... you know i am coder no programmer i don't care right now how it works... it is more important that it works...if you know what i mean...

happy coding, karolj

ps. the timepilot source is not optimised...be warned...

Hi all,

Now I don't think that hw regs abbreviations are as cool as when I invented them. But they may have a purpose: in 5200 there're same chips, but at different locations (e.g. POKEY is at $e800). I can easily implement an option to compile for 5200, which could help in porting 400/800/XL/XE software; if someone's interested.

Please describe your problems in using Code-Genie.

Hvn: you've forgotten that I participated in the CC65 project (or are you not aware of it?).

Welcome, Fox,

Like your stuff a lot

I'm sure the 5200 guys would find this assembler useful - any features that would help make a rom have got to be good.

Never tried creating one myself (not even for an emulator) so I don't know what would help. (Cafeman/Calamari/Old Guru, what features are missing that would be useful for creating carts?)

Chris

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Sheddy ]