IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog is now on C64!

jrhodes

Actually in one of the Swedish speaking FB groups I'm part of, a fellow asked yesterday for a provisional interest in a REU replica. I'm sure there are other hardware people around the world reasoning the same way, now that REU may have become a desirable thing to have for use, rather than just a collectable. So far he doesn't know about price point, probably in the $50-100 range.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrhodes said:

Sonic has been updated to version 1.1 now.

Grab it from CSDb.

This is interesting:

Added C128 detection and user choice to disable 2MHz acceleration, as it won't work with actual CBM REUs

Anyone have technical details on this?

On 12/22/2021 at 1:21 PM, carlsson said:

Actually in one of the Swedish speaking FB groups I'm part of, a fellow asked yesterday for a provisional interest in a REU replica. I'm sure there are other hardware people around the world reasoning the same way, now that REU may have become a desirable thing to have for use, rather than just a collectable. So far he doesn't know about price point, probably in the $50-100 range.

I'd pay $100 for a modern (and compatible) REU...

• Like 1

I've been playing this on my C64 using the 1541 UII+ REU as well as 1581 emulation complete with JiffyDOS - It's simply brilliant!

Being able to load the .D81 at JiffyDOS speeds directly into the REU is fantastic as it's so much faster. I haven't tried loading the game off the SD2IEC, however a real or emulated 1581 with JiffyDOS is as fast as the SD2IEC anyway and I'm not too sure if the game is SD2IEC compatible.

Hat's off to the developers. It's great to see the REU finally being used to it's maximum potential, the scrolling in eight directions is just so smooth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Hat's off to the developers. It's great to see the REU finally being used to it's maximum potential, the scrolling in eight directions is just so smooth.

Thanks. It's actually not eight directions, but any direction. Eight direction scrolling is not some kind of gold standard, it's just barely better than two directions and one direction.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2022 at 5:42 PM, carlsson said:

Here is some plans of a REU project:

https://garrettsworkshop.github.io/GW4302/Docs/index.html

That is great, thanks! 

I am really surprised that an REU clone was not released already to be honest. The only options currently for people to actually experience these games on real hardware are with either the (now) super rare REU expansion or a 1541 Ultimate II....or emulation of course. 

I see all of these GeoRAM adapters online readily for sale, but they are not REU compatible. I don't see the point...just to use GEOS?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I see all of these GeoRAM adapters online readily for sale, but they are not REU compatible. I don't see the point...just to use GEOS?

Initially I would assume, but I have seen various programs around which are geoRAM compatible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bjonte said:

It’s just another type of memory expansion. There’s nothing GEOS-specific with it really.

The primary difference between geoRAM and a Commodore REU is DMA -- the former lacks DMA.  This made the geoRAM less expensive, but slower, than an REU back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Received my repaired C64 from Ray and was able to test this tonight. Works awesomely. This is much smoother than I expected. It's really a showcase game. But, I chose "compatible load"....which took FOREVER.

The Ultimate II has an option for saving REU memory. I wonder if I load the entire game into REU and save it if I will be able to fast load back into it in the future. I have to read more on the REU features on this cart.

EDIT: Apparently that is exactly how that save feature works. I am going to have to endure loading this again and then saving the REU memory to file. From there it should load in a few seconds the next time I want to play Sonic :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

Ohh, and I forgot to add since I had mentioned I needed repair if anyone was curious. My RAM started "disappearing". The old breadbin was reporting 1988 basic bytes free :)

Turns out the MT ram in this unit is trash and Ray removed all of it and replaced it with some magic "modern" RAM. According to him this RAM replacement should outlive both him and me! 

Now...back to Sonic!

• Like 2

Well, being kind of new to the REU (using it with the UII, but same as the real thing) I did not realize one thing. You need a way to load the contents of the REU :)

So, I can load the whole game into REU and save that loaded information. But a loader is going to be required in order to load it back from the REU.

I only realized that while messing with Nuvie player and other movie player stuff. In those cases you load the .reu file into the REU memory and then launch the accompanying loader to run it. 

This game needs an REU version (what I mean is a .reu file and loader) ... or just a loader and leave it to the end user to save the game to REU memory after loading the disks like I did. Having that would cut the load time from minutes down to a few seconds.

Unless anybody knows of a generic way of running contents written to the REU?

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...