IGNORED

Amiga Video Options

Surveyor

I'm in the USA and I've just come into possession of a PAL Amiga 500. Nice computer with a Gotek, newer mouse solution, etc. I understand this is a thread-worn topic, but I'm frankly stumped as to a modern video solution. I currently own a NTSC Amiga 1080 monitor (not a 1084 or 1084S) that has faithfully served my Commodore 128 and others for years. My understanding from poring over old posts here and otherwise, it that the PAL video signal won't sync with the 1080. I tried the mono output as that was the only cord I had at the time and confirmed the Amiga is working fine as I was able to stop the rolling of the picture signal (very) briefly using the vertical hold knob on the front panel. I don't have the proper video cord to go from the Amiga via RGB into the monitor, but was hesitant on getting that as I wasn't sure if the monitor will "switch" and sync. My questions are roughly thus:

1. Assuming I get the proper cord, will the NTSC 1080 sync up and display the PAL signal properly?

2. Do I need to get a 23-pin to RGB or 23-pin to RGB to VGA, or 23-pin to component or 23-pin to RGB to something else cable and try my luck with various HD tv's I may have that might have a VGA, RGB, or component input on the rear of them?

I also have a brand-new Retrotink 5x Pro recently purchased for my other gaming needs and was trying to see if that could be a part of the solution. I do not have anything SCART related and would rather not go down that route if possible. I have seen a somewhat dated post showing a list of compatible monitors, but was wondering if someone had any recent experience. 

I'm also trying to find a modern solution for my Atari 1040STF as well. I'm going to drop a post there as well as I have the mono, high res-monitor and it works fine, but wanted color also.

I appreciate your time and appreciate any assistance! Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

1. Assuming I get the proper cord, will the NTSC 1080 sync up and display the PAL signal properly?

Other than the bottom being a little cropped, I ran PAL on my NTSC 1080 just fine.  I am not sure what problems others have had.

58 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

2. Do I need to get a 23-pin to RGB or 23-pin to RGB to VGA, or 23-pin to component or 23-pin to RGB to something else cable and try my luck with various HD tv's I may have that might have a VGA, RGB, or component input on the rear of them?

This is tricky.  You can do a direct DB-23 to SVGA cable to connect to a TV, but YMMV: the Amiga outputs 15kHz video and not all TVs can use that.  Most of the ones which support composite should handle 15kHz RGB from the Amiga just fine, though you will find it lacking.  If you have a legitimate RGB input on the TV, which will likely be via a SVGA connection, anyway, it might work.  Component video is a different signal.

Hi, There are 2 common video connections on Commodore monitors. Round DIN and 9pin. Which one do you have?

You would need Amiga RGB to DIN/9pin cable (which ever you have on your 1080 monitor). I will say that your monitor should work in PAL RGB mode.

Not many TVs will support 50Hz PAL screen, 60Hz NTSC most probable.

I have Dell SR2320L monitor, it works fine with Amiga, but you need 23pin to VGA adapter for it to work.

There is a jumper/switch you can create to switch Amiga into NTSC mode. I made one on my A500, works fine, but only in RGB mode.

I've got a PAL A1200 I use all the time here in the US, and have gone through the rabbit-hole of video output options.  The 1080/1084 work but the flicker in the PAL mode may bother you.  To sum it up quickly, get an Indivision flicker fixer - both PAL and NTSC display perfectly on any VGA device.  To me VGA is the most comfortable output option, b/c many TVs support it, you can convert it easily to other things, and you can use actual VGA CRT monitors which are the next logical step from a 1084.  Once those all die you can just use any VGA compatible LCD monitor you like.

If you want to avoid the flicker fixer, your mileage may vary.  I've had decent luck with an OSSC with DB23 to SCART adapter (it's the only SCART cable you'll need) which then outputs to either a VGA monitor or HDMI.  The OSSC does seem to have trouble auto-locking on to some of the Amiga resolution switches, so you'll have to use the remote or button on the front to select the right input mode when that happens.  I expect the Retrotink will work similarly well or better.  I've got a 2x and 5x but haven't tried either.

If you can get your hands on a Pi you can go with the RGB2HDMI solution that installs inside the machine.  You'll need to run a flat HDMI cable out the back.  Works amazingly well.  I'd use it as a full time solution but I really like using 'real' output hardware while I still can (VGA monitors).  

Hope any of it helps.

PS - I've never had good luck with any of the 15k LCD monitors.  They always look terrible.  I may have just never had the right one, but I've had a bunch.

PSS - As for the ST, the OSSC should work well with it.  If you're into mono the simple ST to VGA cables actually work well on monitors that support it (it's 640x400@71.25Hz).  I've got one hooked up to an HDMI tv that supports the mode and it looks nice and crisp.

Edited by tuf
  • Like 1

I’ve gone through the same thing a few years ago; lousy VGA converters, flicker fixers, trying to source 1084s/PVMs (and if they weren’t DOA thanks to poor shipping, keeping them up and running), etc.

That said, the Retrotink you already have, plus one of these (http://amigakit.amiga.store/scart-amiga-cable-with-audio-p-226.html) is your best, most future-proof solution.*

SCART is painless, and pretty ubiquitous as you get deeper into the retro thing.

(*there’s also PiMiga, MiSTer, etc. if you want to remove old hardware from the equation completely)

Edited by Laner

I appreciate all of the great info. After some thought, I've decided to go with a HDMI Flickerfixer ScanDoubler solution. I think I may as well get the SCART cable for my retrotink as well for a back-up as it seems to be fairly inexpensive. 

Once again, thanks for all of the well thought-out info!

I use a Dell U2410 multi-scan monitor which gives a beautiful picture, syncs down to 15 KHz., can be switched between 16:9 and 4:3, has the optional AS501 stereo speakers which fit underneath the screen, and handles all the Amiga screenmodes I can throw at it via a RGB-to-VGA cable.  I've used the Dell with both NTSC and PAL Amigas.  Plenty of these monitors on eBay.

Happy New Year!

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Edited by RobertB