IGNORED

Chip’s Challenge ported to SNES and Genesis/Megadrive

jgkspsx

Has anybody played this new(??) port published by John Roo of Quest Arrest fame?

https://www.destructoid.com/chips-challenge-console-port-snes-genesis/amp/

It looks reasonably well done. The Lynx and Windows versions will always be the real thing to me, but it’s cool to see it being offered to people with other consoles.

It is apparently shipping now:

I gotta say, I have not seen an unofficial Genesis box design that looks decent, and this is no exception. The US SNES version is the only release that seems to have decent packaging.

Did Epyx somehow escape from the gravitational pull of Atari?

EDIT: the music seems pretty intolerable. The title music seems to be passport.mid with very poor instrumentation choices, and the level music sounds like something from a Tiger LCD handheld :( 

• Like 4

I know someone who recently got the Genesis version.

He finds the port really good:

- good graphics even though the main character looks different

- good sound except the music between levels

- he finds gameplay better than on the Lynx

But the physical release is crappy, the cart doesn't fit easily in the console, manual and box are cheap, etc.

So he would have preferred a digital release, or the game published by a more professional company.

• Like 1

I've wanted to try this game for a while, but no Lynx. I see that there's some remake (?) of it on Steam and it's free, so I might try it there, but I'm always looking for excuses to buy games for my favourite home console.

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I gotta say, I have not seen an unofficial Genesis box design that looks decent, and this is no exception.

Even these?

71LX7vZyTL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.e67b4f5201b69a69eedc5551ea1caee9.jpg

^ well, not licensed by Sega, so I suppose it's unofficial in that way, at least, but that's some damn tasty box art either way, even if it's just recycling artwork from 30+ years ago

NA_Orig_Box.png?v=1545130302

JP_Orig_Box.png?v=1545130054

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I know someone who recently got the Genesis version.

He finds the port really good:

- good graphics even though the main character looks different

- good sound except the music between levels

- he finds gameplay better than on the Lynx

But the physical release is crappy, the cart doesn't fit easily in the console, manual and box are cheap, etc.

So he would have preferred a digital release, or the game published by a more professional company.

That sucks. What system is it? If it doesn't fit properly in a Genesis or PAL MD, hopefully it fits in the Japanese MD, as I think the cart slot is a bit larger there to accommodate the larger Japanese cart size. 32X might work, as well. Retrode 2 + ROM cart time, perhaps? I need to get a Retrode 2 eventually, but I keep forgetting and it keeps going out of stock every time I remember.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

It was on itch.io but it seems to have been pulled down: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?35110-Chips-Challenge-MD

Yeah, the black grid style boxes look good. I meant the red stripe boxes but apparently failed to say that. Why these companies feel obliged to put text there is beyond me. It would look better blank.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

It was on itch.io but it seems to have been pulled down: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?35110-Chips-Challenge-MD

Yeah, the black grid style boxes look good. I meant the red stripe boxes but apparently failed to say that. Why these companies feel obliged to put text there is beyond me. It would look better blank.

Oh, yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a red box one that I like. This one exists, but it's kind of for PS4, so yeah.

StreetsOfRage4PS4CE.png?v=1584394744

The blank Switch one looks very strange, however.

StreetsOfRage4_SwitchCE.png?v=1584394839

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, jgkspsx said:

Has anybody played this new(??) port published by John Roo of Quest Arrest fame?

https://www.destructoid.com/chips-challenge-console-port-snes-genesis/amp/

It looks reasonably well done. The Lynx and Windows versions will always be the real thing to me, but it’s cool to see it being offered to people with other consoles.

The windows version is crap. Lynx version is really the only one that was ever good. In fact one of the handful of games on the Lynx that's worth playing today.

I'd like to have the rom for the SNES and Genesis versions. I imagine they are better than the Lynx one. 

Edited by Class316

That's a shame.  I don't see how it would do much harm considering fans would still buy the game, and those looking to just check it out likely either would buy if they liked it, or would never have in the first place either way for being cheap, pirates, or both.  His loss...until someone leaks it.  I never understood the dual immorality of pirating only being good, if its old, if it's from a company, but not if it's something new and not made by a third party developer.  Seems double dealing and two faced but whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I never understood the dual immorality of pirating only being good, if its old, if it's from a company, but not if it's something new and not made by a third party developer.  Seems double dealing and two faced but whatever.

I mean, homebrew development and publication is extremely financially unrewarding, so losing chunks of that already tiny pie to piracy would be pretty depressing. On the other hand, $25 is a lot to ask for a new version of a game many have played to completion decades ago. If it were me I would have left the rom up for $10 or something. Maybe the publisher didn’t want the competition from roms…

• Like 1

I don’t personally think any real harm is done when software that is entirely unavailable legitimately to modern players is “pirated”. Sony and EA and Microsoft and Activision and so on are sitting on a dragon’s hoard of IP and software that they care nothing about but won’t let anybody else have. If the only way to play something is to pay gobs of money to an eBay seller who had nothing to do with making the game, well, screw ‘em.

• Like 2

Personally I pirate most everything, new and old. Movies, tv shows games, whatever. I don't care. Especially movies and tv shows. I don't want them to see a penny from me. 

But I don't get how people say that paying $400 for a rare game from ebay is moral whereas downloading it free and playing it on an emulator or flash cart is immoral. That $400 does not go into the pockets of the game company. How about this, instead of paying $400 for (say) an old Sega Saturn game on ebay, download the game for free and buy $400 worth of current games from Sega.

Edited by Class316

Actually, I don't download stuff because I think it's wrong (even though I think it is, but I wouldn't use the word 'immoral'; it's obvious it doesn't hurt that much most of the time). It's just because when I get too many games/movies available, I tend to play/watch none of them. And it's true for compilations and mini consoles with a lot of games included, unfortunately. ?  But when I buy a game, even for cheap, I tend to make the effort to actually beat it.

The thing with piracy is while it's indeed no big deal if one person illegally downloads a movie or a video game, when a lot of people do, it's starting to be a problem. And many gamers tend to blame others for pirating while doing it themselves, so who should be "allowed" to do it? In my experience, people who pirate the most are precisely the ones who could actually afford to pay for that stuff - well, at least it has been like that before, but not as much nowadays since Internet (and thus piracy) is more widely available.

Also I find weird to refuse to pay to watch movies, because it sounds like you're not enjoying what you're watching anyway. I'm glad to pay for the films I watch because I enjoy them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Class316 said:

Personally I pirate most everything, new and old. Movies, tv shows games, whatever. I don't care. Especially movies and tv shows. I don't want them to see a penny from me. 

But I don't get how people say that paying $400 for a rare game from ebay is moral whereas downloading it free and playing it on an emulator or flash cart is immoral. That $400 does not go into the pockets of the game company. How about this, instead of paying $400 for (say) an old Sega Saturn game on ebay, download the game for free and buy $400 worth of current games from Sega.

That has been my ever growing attitude about it since 2012, but at the same time @roots.genoa is dead on the money too.  Too many games, stolen or legit, you play NOTHING or damn near it.  It's like the gamers version of ADHD in overdrive.  Your mind races as you flip from listed title to listed title, then you don't play shit, or you play it for a few minutes and largely onto the next if that hurdles return doesn't stop you cold then and there.  When you buy (even a bootleg) you are physically invested, you download free and easily dismissed.  I don't agree with him on if you can afford it don't, I did it for years off and on because explicitly I could not.  When I could I had 100s of games per system easily in many cases, but as shit went nuts in 2012 into the utter exploitation madness in the last couple of years now, affordability is a joke.

Because of that I'm with class there, fuck em, burn it down.  If the developer won't post the game for sale, for loan/rent (like Switch Online), or as a freebie (like Blizzards classics downloads I mentioned buried on their site now) then ARR matey.  I'll happily pay the developer, but I'm not going to pay some twatwaffle who got lucky and had the stuff for years or took advantage of a sucker to then turn around and try and inch the average pay another 10% higher than the last shark.  The makers see none of it, they're just basically scalping and deserve nothing.

I like his idea entirely though in my case I'd rather give Nintendo and some third party via GOG/Steam (or eShop) that $400 worth of money as it keeps them profitable and rewarded for their work than some greedy dick on ebay who did nothing but type a few things, maybe took an image(or lazily used stock), and threw it in a bubble bag laughing all the way to the paypal bank.  I do this now even, bought a NeoGeo Mini, bought an Astro City mini, I buy ACA Hamster releases, investing in Evercade releases now too, have NSO which has the rentals on that too.  The right people are getting what they deserve.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Just to return to the topic, though, we’re talking about an in-print, affordable piece of homebrew software made by an independent solo developer and published by an independent small publisher. It’s not hard to see the harm that pirating their work causes.

I understand what you're saying, but bottom line is, if it can be played it can be copied. There's no way around that. 

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going to hell for buying Slap Fight MD on Tuesday. Hopefully it gets here soon. Surugaya is pretty slow about actually shipping stuff once you buy it. At least Yuge's new company got some licensing cash from Sega for the MD Mini, which I did buy, and I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't show up on the Toaplan Arcade Garage some time this millennium once M2 finally gets to Slap Fight. Been waiting for the M2 ShotTriggers Toaplan releases for over 2 years now...

• Like 1