IGNORED

Atari STM1 mouse problem

Papalapa

Until now I was succesfully using my Commodore Amiga mouse with an adapter in my Atari 1040 STF. Recently I get a second-hand STM1 mouse, and once received I found that one of the encoder shaft supports was broken. It has been not complicated to repair it, but now I have another curious problem:

On the repaired shaft axis the cursor only moves in one direction, that is, if I move the mouse to the left, the cursor in the screen moves to the left, but if I move the mouse to the right, the cursor also moves to the left. What can be the cause of this problem?

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1065.JPG

18 hours ago, Chri O. said:

I fix one Mouse by replacing IR emitter on the encoder wheel.

You can use your cell phone camera to see if the IR emitter works properly.

You're right, using the cell phone camera I have seen that one of the IR emitters is not working. What sounds strange to me is that only one IR emitter is damaged and the second one is working, and as you can see in the diagram both are in serial configuration so, if one of them is in open circuit , the other should not work.

Anyway, what kind of IR emitter can I use? Unfortunatelly the diagram has not any part reference nor model...

Mouse STM 1.png

22 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

possibly a short to 0V at the junction between the two TX diodes ? that way the top one would work, the other off

Thank you for the suggestion, but I already checked this and also re-soldered some solder points in the PCB without success. As the plastic parts have also some minor defects and the mouse cover are like new, finally I decided to buy the  Tim Lenke's conversion kit to improve the mouse movement and avoid future mechanical problems.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:11 PM, snarkdluG said:

Just start your camera app on your phone and point it at the IR source (LED/emitter).

You could check it on your remote control for your TV for example. You will see it flashing when you press a button. 

That's right, but I do not know why the iPhones at home are not able to see the IR emitting. I succefully tested a Nokia, an HTC and two different Samsung phones without problems, but the iPhones 5s, SE and 7 at home do not show the light ¿? I alss tested the IR remote of my SAT receiver with the same result.

56 minutes ago, Papalapa said:

That's right, but I do not know why the iPhones at home are not able to see the IR emitting. I succefully tested a Nokia, an HTC and two different Samsung phones without problems, but the iPhones 5s, SE and 7 at home do not show the light ¿? I alss tested the IR remote of my SAT receiver with the same result.

Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know that. 

EDIT: Apperently some iPhones has a filter on the (back) lens. But front camera should work. 

Edited by snarkdluG

• 2 weeks later...

OK so i used a phone camera to check the LEDs on an STM1 i have that doesn't move left/right

And sure enough i can see all 4 LEDS emitting a purple coloured light

So does this mean the LEDS are ok? and there is something else causing the lack of left/right movement?

On this particular mouse i have changed the cable and caps and still the issue, no broken solders or tracks

What else to look at apart from changing the chip and testing resistors?!