IGNORED

[RELEASE] RASTER Music Tracker, v1.34.00

VinsCool

Vins , are you fishing for compliments?

You know, you did some precious job with all your RMT additions and corrections. 

Somedays I though "how the heck is it possible to spend so much time for developing all this ...

Heck, you even caused me to do some assembler coding ;)

No need for you to put yourself down. 

It was clear from the beginning , that those RMT hacks will always be limited, as the tracker misses essential tracker features.

But the results have become a lot better , and it is now easier to show what's possible.

A lot gaps have been closed. 

Thanks for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

I must first say that I really appreciate how understanding you are, and I feel really thankful for being part of the community!

I also must apologise about the way I worded my last post with the RMT 1.33 BETA release.

I was absolutely burned out from all of this, and the last minute decision to make a new release with the bittersweet feeling of posting unfinished work made me feel pretty sour.

That combined to the really unhealthy amount of work I had thrown myself into for the last 2-3 months, it really had taken a toll on my sanity, and it was clear from that moment I really needed to take a break and stay away from my computer for a few days.

I just want to make sure I didn't make anyone worried, I am doing okay, I needed to cool down for a little while, and like I said, my next priority is to work on some music for a project, which was quite literally the reason I ended up rushing coding the whole SAP-R/LZSS/VUPlayerLZSS as hard as I could to get things to a functional state before anything.

If it wasn't from that, I probably wouldn't have made so much progress in the first place, and I definitely wouldn't have gained all the experienced I got from all of this.

So in a way, it was a pain for a gain, and I really couldn't tell how much this makes me happy, because I know this will all pay off soon.

About RMT and the current things that are unfinished or broken: updates will still come, that is definitely a priority when I get to go back to this after a break.

Unless there are really critical bugs I missed, I may not go play in the code for maybe a few weeks, depending what I am up to.

So if you try out RMT 1.33BETA and find anything bad like a crash or an important bug to deserve an immediate fix, please let me know!

I am aware the amount of experimental programming and the aftermath of re-organising almost all the code was going to break something, and at the moment I think I caught most issues.

Being only 1 tester through the entire development is very likely to make me overlook many details, so I could not guarantee everything known to work in the last version will still work right now!

For now... there's a soundtrack (+LZSS without all the frustrations related to that, thanks to RMT 1.33BETA!) I want to work on, and this will be my priority for a while.

I've made everyone wait after my music for long enough... but I think my reason was totally justified, in this case! ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Big update!

RMT is now open source!

https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker 

Contributions are welcome!

For new release starting from v1.34.00:

https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker/releases

A big, big thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Future updates will become a much less stressful and complicated process I believe, since I will no longer have to worry about keeping everything I was editing private :) 

Thanks to Bob!k and Fandal who have agreed to let me put the sources online, and thus the legacy of Raster's work is preserved!

Thanks to Mathy for helping with the communication, and ivop for helping me set up the repository with helpful advices

And most importantly, thank you to everyone who believed in me, and allowed me to work on the project!

I think this would never have been possible without the dedication and hard work that originally spawned from a very crude .exe hack, which has then become something entirely different when I first received the permission to edit the original sources, and release new versions in the meantime.

Enjoy!

- Vin

• Like 12
  • Thanks 16

What if RMT didn't need to be so limited, and could instead become incredibly smooth?

This is just part of the UI and graphic rendering improvements I am working on, but I think this will be well worth the efforts soon!

Also this is a really nice tune so enjoy!

I still have plans for improving the binaries exports code and re-introducing an improved 6502 ASM RMT routines for it, but that will be for later.

Each thing will have the time I can find for them :) 

• Like 10

Damn, just found out about your work and tested it on some of my Pokey Tracks. Some sound way clearer and more "like they should". Amazing work, just here to say "thank you" big time. 

Will surely give the new version a go for future tracks ❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Triace said:

Damn, just found out about your work and tested it on some of my Pokey Tracks. Some sound way clearer and more "like they should". Amazing work, just here to say "thank you" big time. 

Indeed . Vins did all to optimize the correctnes in the octaves. 

2 things still were missing.

1) The Tracker that allows to manipulate POKEY actively.

2) Some emulation that resembles the wave production 100% to the real thing. 

A perfect base for further development ist given now.

As long as this isn't , I'm still presenting "passive programming" of POKEY.

This time some "SID" style Bass, some "chippy" main voice and some Arpeggio channel. 

Let's see, if somedays this type of soundcreation will get "normal to every musician" :)

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 10:55 PM, Triace said:

pssst... haha

On 7/3/2022 at 11:46 PM, VinsCool said:

Big update!

RMT is now open source!

https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker 

Contributions are welcome!

For new release starting from v1.34.00:

https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker/releases

A big, big thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Future updates will become a much less stressful and complicated process I believe, since I will no longer have to worry about keeping everything I was editing private :) 

Thanks to Bob!k and Fandal who have agreed to let me put the sources online, and thus the legacy of Raster's work is preserved!

Thanks to Mathy for helping with the communication, and ivop for helping me set up the repository with helpful advices

And most importantly, thank you to everyone who believed in me, and allowed me to work on the project!

I think this would never have been possible without the dedication and hard work that originally spawned from a very crude .exe hack, which has then become something entirely different when I first received the permission to edit the original sources, and release new versions in the meantime.

Enjoy!

- Vin

btw. thanks and I fully appreciate and wonder how you improved and learned Windows C# coding... me stuck to 6502/65816 still.... :D 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I guess I'd better step it up on cataloging those distortion 4 two-tone modes ...

It actually would be "a step it"  down ;)

The used PWM allows that "fine pitch vibratos" and "volume control" that is far better than just the 16 volume levels.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 8:59 AM, Heaven/TQA said:

btw. thanks and I fully appreciate and wonder how you improved and learned Windows C# coding... me stuck to 6502/65816 still.... :D 

Thanks!

A lot of trial and error was involved... A lot of errors were produced during that journey :D

But with enough dedication I managed somehow to learn C++ along the way, so It think this was worth it! Hahaha!

On 7/17/2022 at 10:34 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

I guess I'd better step it up on cataloging those distortion 4 two-tone modes ...

Just wait for the next commit/version, as well as the updated POKEY plugin incorporating the most recent improvements from Altirra.

Can't wait to make the "POKEY Explorer Mode" fully toggleable through the Debug Mode I have been adding to RMT ?

• Like 5

In other news while I have been busy for the last couple days with real life stuff mainly, I still managed to find some time to work on RMT and have been able to incorporate a few improvements as well as a few bugfixes since the video preview of the other day.

- Fixed the 'jumpy/unstable' playing line in "follow" mode, a bug I know was a thing since forever as far as I could tell.

- Rewrote a large portion of the TRACK/SONG drawing function to allow greater flexibility in the display routines, note that currently this looks virtually identical to before, since most of the changes are internal, and intended for greater customisation later, including the "smooth scroll" code I have added in the process.

- Added more tuning code that now displays accurately Distortion 4 pitches, tables coming sometime later (thanks synthpopalooza for the initial work for helping me identify the patterns I needed for calculations

- Like I said above, a "debug mode" is in the work, which is mostly more infos displayed on screen, and could be toggled from settings

- A "POKEY Explorer Mode", which is intended to recreate most of the functionalities of the namesake tool created by ivop, and will become incredibly helpful to track down patterns for creating new pitch calculations formulae, as well as generating new tables in the future.

None of what I mentioned has been yet commited to the repository, but this will come soon, I promise this will be worth it ;)

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

In other news while I have been busy for the last couple days with real life stuff mainly, I still managed to find some time to work on RMT and have been able to incorporate a few improvements as well as a few bugfixes since the video preview of the other day.

- Fixed the 'jumpy/unstable' playing line in "follow" mode, a bug I know was a thing since forever as far as I could tell.

- Rewrote a large portion of the TRACK/SONG drawing function to allow greater flexibility in the display routines, note that currently this looks virtually identical to before, since most of the changes are internal, and intended for greater customisation later, including the "smooth scroll" code I have added in the process.

- Added more tuning code that now displays accurately Distortion 4 pitches, tables coming sometime later (thanks synthpopalooza for the initial work for helping me identify the patterns I needed for calculations

- Like I said above, a "debug mode" is in the work, which is mostly more infos displayed on screen, and could be toggled from settings

- A "POKEY Explorer Mode", which is intended to recreate most of the functionalities of the namesake tool created by ivop, and will become incredibly helpful to track down patterns for creating new pitch calculations formulae, as well as generating new tables in the future.

None of what I mentioned has been yet commited to the repository, but this will come soon, I promise this will be worth it ;)

For some reason, this forumsoftware needs the feature to "Autolike" ...

I'd activate that to all of your posts. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

RMT now is open source.... What you PPL think about to share instruments? I think it could push the creativity of musicans, like the ST-xx sample-disks did it in the 90's. 

Imho this could have be done since first RMT release, but did not happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pps said:

Imho this could have be done since first RMT release, but did not happen. 

The point is that it is not possible to do a "general instrument" for any tune, yet.

This is what I'm calling "passive programming" . 

If a Tracker supports all features to make things 100% stable, any Instrument could be created for every "musical" purpose.  

• Confused 1

I have the habit of recycling my instruments all the time personally. That is part of my style of sound design I think.

Feel free to borrow the instruments and/or mediocre song ideas, unfortunately those came to nothing, and I failed to compose the music for a game, so here's the remnants of ideas that could have been.

Make sure to look for all the subtunes and hidden patterns left in the modules, there are many scrapped idea that were buried much earlier in their creation, sometime in the same module there are more than 1 "complete" song.

Also those are all meant to run in the PAL region, but the same instruments will work just as well in NTSC, because that's the region I have designed most of my instruments after all.

Happy tracking!

And... sorry for deceiving anyone looking forward my original music.

I tried :3

sketch 71 v14.rmt sketch 72 v2.rmt sketch 73 v1.rmt sketch 74 v1.rmt sketch 75 v4.rmt sketch 76 v6.rmt sketch 77 v3.rmt sketch 78 v4.rmt sketch 79 v2.rmt sketch 80 v6.rmt sketch 81 v3.rmt

• Like 5

I finally started some real work with RMT 1.34 (music for somebody else's intro), and I stumbled upon a problem. The tuning dialog doesn't seem to work. If I select a different temperament, the ratios stay the same. Nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong or is this an unforeseen bug?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ivop said:

I finally started some real work with RMT 1.34 (music for somebody else's intro), and I stumbled upon a problem. The tuning dialog doesn't seem to work. If I select a different temperament, the ratios stay the same. Nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong or is this an unforeseen bug?

If you mean visually, as the fractional ratios displayed, this is normal, the code simply doesn't exist yet.

It's currently displaying the Custom temperament values only.

If you mean in the sound, this is very much not normal, and most likely because I forgot a thing in the Tuning Dialog code.

It *should* work for both "Test" and "Ok", as far as I remember, I didn't really put a second thought into the Tuning code as soon as I was able to get the "Test" and "Reset" buttons to work in the Dialog Box.

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

If you mean in the sound, this is very much not normal, and most likely because I forgot a thing in the Tuning Dialog code.

It *should* work for both "Test" and "Ok", as far as I remember, I didn't really put a second thought into the Tuning code as soon as I was able to get the "Test" and "Reset" buttons to work in the Dialog Box.

Yes, also meant the sound. The test button does nothing, and neither does OK. That's a pity, because of the harmonies, I was very interested how Lullaby would sound in a different temperament.