IGNORED

One player Super Challenge Football?

Random Terrain

I love the simplicity of M Network's Super Challenge Football for the Atari 2600, but there is no one player variation and that sucks French fried monkey feet. I like how easy it is to program each guy and I'd rather play Super Challenge Football than any of the football games that are available now on various systems. I don't want or need 50 billion ways to program each guy and I don't want to use controls similar to what the Space Shuttle has when all I want to do is have a little fun.

Has anyone made a one player version of this game yet? If not, I know one of you programmers could figure out a way to do it even if you ripped out the guts of another football game and merged it with Super Challenge Football in some way that only you can figure out. Thanks for your help.

I was thinking about this thread. Is this more of a hack and less of a Homebrew since it's not an original game, or is it a Homebrew since it could require a nice little chunk of original programming?

If it fits more under the "Hack" category, maybe this thread should be moved there.

It probably is more of a homebrew, since it would be such a substantial change.

You're in for a very tough time though...I'm not even sure if a super football uses chips, or glue logic, or what, but it probably doesn't have a program that it loads and runs, it's probably all a bunch of transistors that 'do the right thing'...few people here know anything about that kind of stuff.

Frankly, it'd be easier to port it to gameboy, and do a one player mode from that...

• 4 weeks later...
just play tecmo bowl  :P

From reading the following page, Tecmo Bowl just has plays that you choose from, you don't tell each guy what to do:

http://www.nesplayer.com/reviews/tecmobowlr.htm

Quickly programming each guy is why I like Super Challenge Football. Choosing from a handful of plays is not the same and too much like real football.

• Like 1

It probably is more of a homebrew, since it would be such a substantial change.

You're in for a very tough time though...I'm not even sure if a super football uses chips, or glue logic, or what, but it probably doesn't have a program that it loads and runs, it's probably all a bunch of transistors that 'do the right thing'...few people here know anything about that kind of stuff.

Frankly, it'd be easier to port it to gameboy, and do a one player mode from that...

Heh...you know, for some weird reason, I thought you were talking about those old handhelds, changing that . All my comments are about porting that. Duhhr.

Anyway, re: that run the other way to catch the defender...if you removed that you'd want to make sure that defenders are a bit faster than the guy with the ball...

Heh...you know, for some weird reason, I thought you were talking about those old handhelds...

I just went back and added, "Atari 2600" to my original post like I should have from the beginning to make it clearer for future readers of this thread.