IGNORED

Any of you guys Apple 2e fans?

Mock

Just curious...thinking about a project and wondered if anyone else had a 2e or was interested.

There are no good 2e sites around and I just purchased apple2e.net and was thinking about doing a site for it. Would like to find a few 2e people to consult on a few things...

mock

I never owned an Apple computer of any kind but wanted to ask a general question. Given the age of Apple disk drives, do most of you program on a real Apple floppy disk drive or do you program on an emulator and then create a floppy version of your software?

I only ask because I figure at some point, floppy disk drives for the Apple II series of computers will begin to break down and it will be harder to find replacements.

That is also part of my concern for not yet getting an Atari 800XL computer because most of the really cool software was floppy disk based and I worried that if I did get a floppy disk drive, it would break after heavy use due to the motor's age.

I'd much rather use my accelerated Apple IIGS than an emulator anyday. Outside of 3.5" floppies them selves failing I've never had any problems with drives. I have yet to have a 5.25" floppy go bad.

Anyway, I have a RAM disk setup on my IIGS(what better way to make use of an 8MB ram card?)....I set it to the size of the disk I have an image of...then I decompress the image to the RAM disk and boot the computer to the RAM disk... I have a SCSI hard drive on my IIGS which is loaded with disk images.... There is a utility for loading DOS 3.3 games from a hard drive on the IIGS.

Other than the IIGS I also have a couple Apple //c's...... It's very difficult to trade Apple II stuff...no one ever seems to want it.

I still play and collect for my Apple II. In fact, I just picked up a sweet AppleColor composite monitor for $4. I don't use emulators, it's just not the same experience for me.

I've never had any problems with 5.25" floppys or disk drives. I'm suprised by the level of abuse a 5.25" floppy can endure and still be functional.

BTW, what is apple2e.net?

I paid $10 for an Apple IIe, two disk drives, and a monitor, and I haven't missed a cent. I actually have it set up behind me (I usually don't like keeping older systems out in the open, but I really don't have a box big enough for this thing, I should put a cover over it).

I'd love a classic Apple IIe site, just make sure you put up ROMs, or at least the IIe version of Space Quest, which I can't find anywhere.

Agreed.. I'm an Apple //e fool, since me and my //e go way back (to 1984).. granted I was a little snot-nosed kid when I got one, but hey, ya gotta put down roots somewhere.

Anyone who is at ALL interested in Apple 2 stuff should check out the wonderfully maintained UseNet ACSA2 FAQ page, which contains nearly every answer to any question you should have about anything:

http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs1START.html

This includes how-tos for setting up a serial network with your PC using a SSC, allowing you to create actual working Apple //e disks from the disk images contained on Asimov, Ground, and others.

rpm

I'd like to take it in the same sort of direction that AA has gone in for Atari...not exactly like AA, but in that direction...all of the sites out there now are pretty much old school looking sites that are not the easiest to follow. I have found a few great FAQ's along the way, but many link to sites that are no longer around...I'd like to put everything under one roof with a forum setup like they have here at AA (I already run several Forum based websites and have done so for many years now...so I know how to do all of that)...main thing is I would like to make a place where everyone can go for just Apple 2e stuff and find images, roms, or whatever...files and how to's...and if I could get 100 or so good people together to work on a few projects and share info...then I'd be happy and consider it a success.

I like the idea of the magazine and news article archives...stuff you can't just go out and find very easily.

A game list with scans like AA has would be nice and a link to the image or rom or whatever on that page. (I know-I know - copyright blah blah blah).

I dunno...I'd like to just make a nice non-profit home that is easy to find whatever it is you are looking for so that people can enjoy the old 2e's some more....but I want it to look modern and not old school...there are enough old school sites already.

anyone else have any input? :?

As long as Asimov has been around, I can't imagine any major copyright problems...

Of course, AA has great lists of console games. I haven't counted, but there are a LOT of Apple disk images. LOTS of games and programs...

I once downloaded the whole Asimov site and started to go through it to "clean it up"..

OMG!! That is a LOT of work.. I'll get back to it one of these days.. :-)

There's something like 4000 files there. It's not all games, and alot of duplicates, but still..

And that'd be a LOT of screenshots!! ;^>

desiv

Have you checked here? It looks like it's (Space Quest 1) there.  

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/unsorted  

You mean spquest? Downloaded it, either my computer isn't reading it and I'm looking at an old image I've had, or that's a different game, because I can't find anything on my emulator that resembles SQ1.

You mean spquest?

No, above that, in the CAPs section, it says:

Space Quest 1 - Disk 1 - Back.dsk 140 KB 4/20/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 1 - Front.dsk 140 KB 4/20/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 2 - Back.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 2 - Front.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 3 - Back.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 3 - Front.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 4 - Back.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

Space Quest 1 - Disk 4 - Front.dsk 140 KB 4/23/2002 12:00:00 AM

I figure those are your best bet... But then again, I haven't tried them..

My Apple //e is right here, but I have to hook the serial cables back up, and haven't gotten around to that since rebuilding my PC..

Good luck..

desiv

Apple IIe is where i started my computing life, well, vic 20 really, but I never touched it again once the IIe arrived. Wings of Fury was played all day long, i so wish someone would do a new release of it, just inmpoved graphics, if they changed the gameplay i would shoot them.

once one downloads the dsk image of games for the IIe, how does one get them unpacked and put onto 51/4 floppies?

I am thinking of getting a IIgs, I know where i can get a IIe, but if the IIgs can run IIe games, i'd rather have that machine. another question, the old apple joystick, that has the two orange buttons, will that work on the IIgs?

Anyone ever thought of getting that old apple joystick to work with current computers? that would be great, I like that controller a lot, and still like it more than say my saitec cyborg, the current controllers are just too big and bulky, the old apple IIe controller was just the right size to hold in your hand, with the thumb right on the top of the stick.

I found a great IIe emulator for OSX, its awsome.

Ah, Apple II. That's what I grew up with, until about 1990 when I discovered PC gaming. Back in high school I collected vintage computers (odd hobby for a teenager, eh?) and my Apple collection was easily the largest part of it:

Apple ][

Apple ][ Plus

Apple //e

Apple /// (yes!)

Laser 128EX (Apple clone, //e & //c combined capability)

Unitron (Apple clone, ][ & ][ Plus capability)

Timex Sinclair ZX-80

TI 99/4A

And others I'm probably forgetting.

I sold the Apple ][ after discovering its motherboard wasn't original, I sold the /// because I was an idiot, and I sold the Unitron to a guy in Japan. I still have the ][ Plus (my very first computer); it sits in my entertainment center, next to boxes full of classics like Boulder Dash, Galaxian, Miner 2049er, Night Mission Pinball, H.E.R.O., Congo Bongo, etc., as well as the Apple ports, made by Atarisoft, of Ms. Pac-Man, Burgertime, Centipede, Defender, Stargate, and others. I play it at least once or twice a week.

I've never met an Apple II emulator that I really liked, so yeah, I still do my Apple stuff on the real deal.

Really? How could you not like Applewin? That emu is one of the most perfect ones around to the point I even use it as a screensaver at work. Works right out the box too. :) I swear to god when I set it to monochrome green I'm not on my 2003 pc anymore, but rather on an Apple 2e :P

download.php?id=1653