IGNORED

WIP: Ghostbusters

Frozone212

I get syntax error in 24:

24 INPUT V$:IF V$=B$ THEN PRINT "HOLY CRAPOLA, THERE ARE A LOT OF GHOSTS IN HERE"
24 INPUT V$ :: IF V$=B$ THEN PRINT "HOLY CRAPOLA, THERE ARE A LOT OF GHOSTS IN HERE"

TI Extended BASIC needs two colons for a separator instead of the more common one.

Then syntax error in 46:

46 FOR P=1 TO 3:NEXT P:IF P>3 THEN PRINT THEN PRINT "HE'S INSIDE, QUICK, PULL!"
47 IF P<1 THEN PRINT "HE'S LOOSE, REEL HIM IN!"

46 FOR P=1 TO 3 :: NEXT P :: IF P>3 THEN PRINT THEN PRINT "HE'S INSIDE, QUICK, PULL!"
47 IF P<1 THEN PRINT "HE'S LOOSE, REEL HIM IN!"

But there seems to be a logic error there... the FOR loop will always execute fully so P is always >3 after it.

You could try randomness, if you want:

46 P=INT(RND*2) :: IF P=1 THEN PRINT THEN PRINT "HE'S INSIDE, QUICK, PULL!"
47 IF P=0 THEN PRINT "HE'S LOOSE, REEL HIM IN!"

I also got a syntax error in 22:

22 CALL GCHAR(1,13,2)
22 CALL GCHAR(1,13,CH)

(GCHAR needs a variable to store the result in, though I'm not sure what the intent is...)

Bad value in 26:

26 CALL SOUND(1000,10,0)
26 CALL SOUND(1000,110,0)

The lowest allowed frequency is 110 hz.

Anyway... I can see you're still working through it. I have one other suggestion. It's standard practice in classic BASIC programming to space line numbers by 10 at a time, instead of 1. This gives you lots of room to go back and insert lines. Fortunately, TI offers a simple command to fix up all the line numbers, just enter "RES" (for "resequence"), and it will renumber the program starting at 100 and incrementing by 10, fixing up all the hits in GOTOs and the like as well.

Good luck!

• Like 3

INCORRECT STATEMENT suggests you are using TI BASIC instead of TI Extended BASIC. Regular BASIC does not allow multiple statements per line, and it does not allow anything after "THEN" except a line number (the GOTO is implicit).

• Like 2

25 IF R$=T$ THEN PRINT "ON OUR WAY";NAME$

This line works fine in Extended BASIC but gives the "incorrect statement" error if you run in TI BASIC.

You will find XB much easier to work with. If you want to use TI BASIC remember that there are no multiple statement lines. To work in BASIC this would have to be:

25 if R$<>T$ THEN 27

26 PRINT "ON OUR WAY";NAME$

27 program continues...

TI BASIC is usually considerably slower than XB, but the main thing that slows it down is that any CALL is much slower. So far your program is only using INPUT and PRINT plus a few CALL SOUND and CALL CLEAR, so it might run almost as fast in BASIC as in XB.

You may consider Extended Basic as a standard platform on the TI. It is very widespread, and there are lots of compatible 3rd party Basic enhancements.

If I remember correctly, when I got my console back in 1982, I worked with the console Basic for 3 months before I got Extended Basic, and I never returned to the console Basic again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

You may consider Extended Basic as a standard platform on the TI. It is very widespread, and there are lots of compatible 3rd party Basic enhancements.

If I remember correctly, when I got my console back in 1982, I worked with the console Basic for 3 months before I got Extended Basic, and I never returned to the console Basic again.

Exactly. I think that's most of us.

I think Kmart has it for $79.00..better hurry

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Exactly. I think that's most of us.

I think Kmart has it for $79.00..better hurry

Ya'll were lucky ones, then.  I was on the bare console from 1984 to 1990, which pretty much encompasses my period of engagement with the 99/4A, with a brief period in 1988 when I was able to borrow an XB cart from a friend for a couple of months. The only advanced programming option I had was with the MiniMemory I picked up in 1989 for about $20, at the very beginning of my transition to the Commodore 64.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Ya'll were lucky ones, then.  I was on the bare console from 1984 to 1990, which pretty much encompasses my period of engagement with the 99/4A, with a brief period in 1988 when I was able to borrow an XB cart from a friend for a couple of months. The only advanced programming option I had was with the MiniMemory I picked up in 1989 for about $20, at the very beginning of my transition to the Commodore 64.

Amazing. To make a long story short. I moved on the C64 - after getting XB, MM, EA-manual and a 32K standalone for the TI-99/4A. And then bought the Amiga2000A in 1987 adding 2MB and 47MB harddisk (apart from MIDI, sampler, Kickstart2.04, tons of books etc.). Moved more towards the PC from 1993 and on. Oh, what memories.
?

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

So...should i add graphics or not? the facilities for doing so are damned confusing, even with the manual

If your learning... YES! Add graphics! Make it simple in the start. It will add to your skill and make you a better programmer ;)

• Like 1

The thing is, When it comes to X and Y I'm fine (drawing up and bottom left,right) but when it comes to drawing the middle of the screen, making a feasible graphical painting if you will, I have issues. If I can't see it (Use graph paper, sprite editor) then i can't use it. The TI has neither a sprite editor nor a way to see it in grid form.

29 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

The thing is, When it comes to X and Y I'm fine (drawing up and bottom left,right) but when it comes to drawing the middle of the screen, making a feasible graphical painting if you will, I have issues. If I can't see it (Use graph paper, sprite editor) then i can't use it. The TI has neither a sprite editor nor a way to see it in grid form.

Have a peek at the Development Resources thread and see if anything there helps.  I know when you were bouncing around the other 8-bit platforms here, no such thing exists in those forums so this should be extra helpful for you.

• Like 3

Still working on it. Getting real sick of the BASIC interpreter. anyway:

For next nesting... no clue what that means. All the affected lines are using Call Char, not for-next

it doesn't matter what i put, it gives the same error. I'm about to screamInside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

Edited by Frozone212
pissed off

50 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

Still working on it. Getting real sick of the BASIC interpreter. anyway:

For next nesting... no clue what that means. All the affected lines are using Call Char, not for-next

It doesn't matter what i put, it gives the same error. I'm about to scream

We can't help you if you don't help us. It is certain to be a simple error, but we need to see the code that misbehaves.

If you are using Classic99 you can LIST "CLIP", then paste the code into your post.

If you click on </> you can paste it as a program and then insert into your post

• Like 3