IGNORED

How many of you still stuck with the 2600 during the NES years?

ZippyRedPlumber

Have You Still Played Atari in the Late-80's?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Still Played Atari in the Late-80's?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/2022 at 01:30 PM

Yeah, pretty much every store dumped all their video games in the clearance bin after the industry crash.  That was a good time to go shopping too.

The NES era saw department stores stick with Nintendo and maybe Sega, at least at first, while the toy stores were more democratic.

I was thinking about this the other day. I recall getting the Master System of Shinobi at a Kmart by Dads work; the other Kmart we sometimes shopped at, I never recall seeing SMS games there, they had Genesis games though. Sears was the same way, one had pc games - no console stuff, but in the other mall… one store was selling Ps 1 games when first released.

I wonder if this was a store by store decision.

We didn’t get a Walmart here till the summer of ‘86, it was all NES centric store. Anybody recall if Walmart or Target, for that matter, sold Sega products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I was known as "the Atari guy" at my junior high school in 1988, if that tells you anything. People were just giving me their 2600 games, because they didn't want them anymore. One guy I knew brought me a duffel bag full of carts one day, most of which I'd never heard of until then. My 7800 - the 2600 had died a couple years earlier, and my parents replaced it with the 7800 since it was backward compatible with the 2600 - got one hell of a workout that night. I had so many 2600 games at that point, that I ended up building shelves for them in shop class.

I had my issues with the NES, until I actually got the chance to try one. After that, it was all over, and ended up getting one in the summer of '89. Then came the Genesis (and Master System, thanks to the Power Base Converter), TG16 and SNES, all of which I could afford to buy games for since I was now out of school and working, but the 7800 wasn't being neglected. It was still getting played on a regular basis for years afterwards. I started scouring flea markets and bought even more 2600 and 7800 games, dirt cheap.

Eventually I had to sell everything (thanks a lot, ex-wife). Wish I hadn't, but I've managed to rebuild since then.

• Like 2