IGNORED

Logan Paul Encased 15 Game Boy Colors In Resin To Make A Pokémon Tabletop And People Are Mad

I'm sure that with careful work, you could cut them all out and remove them from that gel. If you really needed those 15 GBC consoles.

On one hand, yeah, if they were working, it's a bit sad. On the other hand, we aren't talking about a rare item either. And it's 15 of them, not 150.

His attention grab worked, which is something he seems good at. He's some kind of a youtube heel, you're not supposed to fully like the guy. 

There's a stack of 3 of these GBCs in my closet that I'm never going to turn on again--so I'm wasting mine too. These people just want a reason to be mad, which is the theme of about 2017 onwards. They all had their chance to get one, and wow, not surprisingly they still do, except they're only pretending to care.

It's just one table. Now if everybody started making lamps and tables with handhelds, there'd be more an issue.

• Like when the hipsters were ripping apart vintage calculators to harvest the nixie tubes for their silly clocks.
  • Or the emu-bros who gutted a significant number of arcade cabinets to convert them into their MAME abominations. 

But in the long term, who knows, maybe in 50,000 years when all the rest of our stuff has decomposed, archaeologists will be thrilled that they found a slab of preserved 1990's electronics. They'll xray it and spend lifetimes worth of grant money reconstructing a working model ;) 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

His attention grab worked, which is something he seems good at. He's some kind of a youtube heel, you're not supposed to fully like the guy. 

There's a stack of 3 of these GBCs in my closet that I'm never going to turn on again--so I'm wasting mine too. These people just want a reason to be mad, which is the theme of about 2017 onwards. They all had their chance to get one, and wow, not surprisingly they still do, except they're only pretending to care.

It's just one table. Now if everybody started making lamps and tables with handhelds, there'd be more an issue.

• Like when the hipsters were ripping apart vintage calculators to harvest the nixie tubes for their silly clocks.
  • Or the emu-bros who gutted a significant number of arcade cabinets to convert them into their MAME abominations. 

But in the long term, who knows, maybe in 50,000 years when all the rest of our stuff has decomposed, archaeologists will be thrilled that they found a slab of preserved 1990's electronics. They'll xray it and spend lifetimes worth of grant money reconstructing a working model ;) 

Boy have I seen my share of defiled perfectly-good-cabs online.  Poor things.  lol

• Haha 1

Well he owns them, his choice, and his choice to be a nutless attention whore starved for looks because probably of some sad psychological issues that drives such behavior.  I'm not mad he did it, it's sad he ruined some probably working systems right?  Was it ever shown they work, or are they all doorstops he may have reshelled for some nice color?

I think for kicks, obviously needing some wiring, soldering, and some magic involved you could throw all them in there working, hit up an external power source, and a detached cart reader on the edge too like an old car tape deck and get interesting with it.  Theory (reality) you could probably link the things and have it as a playable table with detached controls having a full spread of screens, or divide it for 2 to 4P play depending how nuts you want to get.

@Reaperman Maybe so, but I'd argue perhaps not.  A table is a table and the systems aren't even being put to some use other than an art piece (which is why I hoped they were dead units) but in this case this is a bit more, they're using the individual systems to generate music.  They may not be playing games anymore, but they're being put to actual powered up service creating new media with the music that they're generating and putting out as part of that machine which is far better than being internal table art, or in the trash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The really mind bending thought...is that it could very well be projects like this that end up getting discovered a VERY long time later by future us or... other beings. Systems encased in epoxy resin like this might be the best preserved examples of our tech they would ever be able to find? 

Like finding DINO DNA in the blood sacs of a mosquito trapped in amber?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

A long time ago I made a backpack out of old Gameboys.  Sometimes I would come home and one would be ripped off even. I guarantee these Gameboys saw more of life than they would have sitting on some attic dweller's shelf. So probably the same with a table someone made.   I might gut my OG Xbox and make it a hard man purse.

You can do whatever you want with your property, but I would highly recommend to never make a "hard man purse." Or even own one. Or say those words together. Ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DJ Clae said:

Kotaku is such a high quality news source. Rather than just report the story, the author felt it necessary to scold the project's critics because the project is just fine by them, and also weighed in on NFT's.

Part of the reason I stopped reading Kotaku.  I got tired of every story being an opinion piece.

• Like 2

Kotaku's a weird one. They just popped up one day in the 00's, out of nowhere, and everybody, including existing gaming media, instantly considered them legitimate. It was weird.

Really they seem to not just feed off of, but mostly prop-up and create drama where there doesn't need to be any. They're extremely click-focused, just like most of the other "media outlets" that popped up recently. All these themed clicker-medias, including the gaming ones, aren't all that far off from Logan Paul's methods, so I guess this all makes sense.

I doubt they even really like games any more, if they ever did--it's more of a themed skin over listicles and brigade pieces, so they share more in common with the other clicker-outlets than with the interests of their intended target audience. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Honestly? I was frustrated at first but had only read/saw the headlines and didn't bother to look into it further.

Now I'm just frustrated because now that I've seen the table's end result... It's really lazy and not even very cool looking. Just seems like a lazy resin project that is among all the other silly/boring resin projects. I mean anybody can just encase a random item in resin and call it a day. The fact he incased 15 means he just has too much money to spend and waste. Supposedly it lights up, but the video attached to the article doesn't show this. 

I think my final verdict is that this is a waste of Game Boys that could have been used in better and/or more creative projects. 

I tried scrolling kotaku a few times while bored at work, and couldn't stomach it. The problem is it's not just a gaming site -- mixed in you'll find comics, super hero movies, anime, toys -- they are basically assuming their audience are all the same nerdy stereotype who must care about most of these things if they're interested in one of them. It's selling a Loot Crate culture I have no interest in.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DJ Clae said:

mixed in you'll find comics, super hero movies, anime, toys -- they are basically assuming their audience are all the same nerdy stereotype who must care about most of these things if they're interested in one of them. It's selling a Loot Crate culture I have no interest in.

Oh, I don't think all those are really written for Kotaku. If something written by the other click-brands sounds like it will play with the target, or if it can be written for more than one, it's going on Kotaku. Kotaku is currently run by G/O media, formerly gizmondo, formerly gawker. When one goes broke, generally being sued out of existance, it reanimates as something slightly different and legally distinct.

So currently you're seeing kotaku stories from:

• Gizmodo
  • Kotaku
  • Jalopnik
  • Deadspin
  • Lifehacker
  • Jezebel
  • The Root
  • The A.V. Club
  • The Takeout
  • The Onion
  • The Inventory

But they used to have several others like io9, clickhole, etc. I doubt the internet's list of subsidiaries is even close to complete.

Jezebel makes a lot of sense as to why some of Kotaku's stories/dramas felt so forced--they were crossover drama designed to play on both.

The onion is especially sad. It was such a popular little newspaper around madison until it got caught up in...this 'thing.'

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, Reaperman said:

Really they seem to not just feed off of, but mostly prop-up and create drama where there doesn't need to be any. They're extremely click-focused, just like most of the other "media outlets" that popped up recently. All these themed clicker-medias, including the gaming ones, aren't all that far off from Logan Paul's methods, so I guess this all makes sense.

There does seem to be envy between the written word sites towards youtubers who get more views than they do.  Below a lot of the drama is a desire to take the big names down a peg or two and prop themselves up.