IGNORED

Editor/Assembler "Part B" diskette variants?

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 9:52 PM, Nathan said:

The Editor/Assembler manual says the "Part B" diskette contains "a game or application program that can be used as an example."

Perhaps this was written prior to the decision to include the game Tombstone City as the one and only example program? The E/A manual has many curious errors and/or misleading entries. Ironically, it reads like an Assembly of many individual offerings which received very little Editing.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, Reciprocating Bill said:

I recall reading somewhere that Tombstone City was the only TI-authored game actually developed on 99/4a hardware (versus 990 minis purpose built for 99/4a development). So perhaps that makes it the best candidate for demonstrating assembler development using the E/A package running on 99/4a hardware. 

I read the interview with the programmer and he said he was coding during May '81 which would mean he was using a 99/4 with chiclet keys.  I'm wondering how many times he swore.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Retrospect said:

which would mean he was using a 99/4 with chiclet keys. 

Of course you're right. I've only laid eyes on a 99/4 once, huge TI branded monitor and all, and that wasn't long after it was introduced and the 4a was a couple years away. So I've never experienced the torment of its keyboard. That and debugging the long string of copied files must have been murder. 

Was the E/A package released before the advent of the 4a, or was it strictly in-house until the 4a hit the streets with Don Bynum's imprint?  

1 hour ago, Reciprocating Bill said:

Was the E/A package released before the advent of the 4a,

I'm sure when I watched one of @pixelpedant's videos, the one about the 99/4, he stated the E/A package didn't arrive until 82?  I might be wrong I'd have to re-watch that video.

They most likely had it in-house before commercial production.  

It does make me wonder whether the programmer had levels of discomfort, or whether he didn't mind so much as at the time there might not have been too many better options.  I suppose if the E/A package he used was the same as the commercial release, it may have been looked upon as a bit of a luxury as it afforded a  full screen editor whereby the cursor could be positioned anywhere on the screen.  If on the other hand he did all that code line-by-line I think he needs a posthumous pardon.  ;) 

Edit:  Also the issue with a lot of 99/4's was keys repeating too fast.  Can you imagine if that computer was one of those, all the times it did it, and he had to press Shift and S or whatever keys it was to go back a space.  Mind you, I do sometimes sit at the emulator and type into it as though it were "real" without the luxury of copy/paste from notepad.  In 99/4 mode too just to get really gritty.  The amount of times I've accidentally hit the wrong key combination and reset it is unreal.  And I have a crappy chiclet keyboard with no tactile response too.  About the closest you could get to what he went through!  :) 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

I'm sure when I watched one of @pixelpedant's videos, the one about the 99/4, he stated the E/A package didn't arrive until 82?  I might be wrong I'd have to re-watch that video.

They most likely had it in-house before commercial production. 

Yeah, E/A didn't hit store shelves (i.e., achieve general commercial distribution) until Spring '82, though that having said, I know they had it on hand and functioning at Winter CES '82 (so January).  And if I recall correctly, the Pittsburgh UG (and maybe a couple other UGs - I don't have my notes handy right now) got a prototype demo in Fall 81. 

Both Extended BASIC and Editor/Assembler had very lengthy "debuts", to the extent that it was a long time between their first being demonstrated to the TI faithful, and their reaching large-scale production and widespread commercial distribution. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @pixelpedant:)

@GDMike I'm not sure there, I always thought it was down to the hardware not the software but again I'd be wrong.  I've seen videos of that 99/4 doing some insane over-repeats.  This was due to the keys bottoming out and registering three presses at times more.  I'd be curious to use one!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 5:52 AM, Nathan said:

The Editor/Assembler manual says the "Part B" diskette contains "a game or application program that can be used as an example."

The manual uses Tombstone City as an example, and that's the only one I've ever seen. Were others actually distributed?

My version of the Editor/Assembler manual had no mentioning of "a game or application program that can be used as an example". I'm guessing I was "out" early ?
😐

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:52 AM, Nathan said:

The manual uses Tombstone City as an example, and that's the only one I've ever seen. Were others actually distributed?

14 hours ago, acadiel said:

I've seen the TI Invaders source on disk B before.  I don't know if it was an early release or not.

Tombstone is more straight forward, while Invaders is leaning toward spaghetti.
😬

• Like 4

Once more for awareness, this is on WHTech, and if we find someone with the other variant, I'll be happy to upload it there.

https://ftp.whtech.com/Diskettes/Cartridge_Disks/Editor_Assembler/

I know that the WHTech FTP server is a mess in most parts, but we try hard to get some order into that repository. So if you are looking for disk images I'd recommend to have a look at the Diskettes folder for a start.

Maybe we need some kind of better front-end, a link collection for example.

• Like 4

Order is less important to me. Ability to search is crucial - to me. 😋

There once were a text file a the top, which was just the usual listing of directories and files. I downloaded that, and used it often to search for what I was looking for.

I haven't looked, but it there a way to "dir" (display list of files and subdirectories in a directory) the fpt.whtech.com ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

Order is less important to me. Ability to search is crucial - to me. 😋
There once were a text file a the top, which was just the usual listing of directories and files. I downloaded that, and used it often to search for what I was looking for.
I haven't looked, but it there a way to "dir" (display list of files and subdirectories in a directory) the fpt.whtech.com ?

It would be helpful to have a Webdav server connected to ftp.whtech.com. Then you could mount it as a network drive.

• Like 2