IGNORED

Forti sound card

hloberg

found the manual to the Forti sound card. can't find the disk that is supposed to come with it. anyone got one as a .dsk?

also, does anyone actually own one and used it? and have anyone made some music disk.

I'm adding a music section to TI99resources and want to add this and the sidmaster.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hloberg said:

found the manual to the Forti sound card. can't find the disk that is supposed to come with it. anyone got one as a .dsk?

also, does anyone actually own one and used it? and have anyone made some music disk.

I'm adding a music section to TI99resources and want to add this and the sidmaster.

@FarmerPotato knows: 

...lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mizapf said:

if there is an original (working) disk, I'd also be interested. I emulated the card in MAME, but could not thoroughly test it because the only disk that looked like the original disk was broken.

here are the notes and 2 demo disk @FarmerPotato posted. I haven't tested them yet since I don't know 4th.

Downloads.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DuaneAL said:

I have never heard any recordings of forti output.  Is there a resource where I could listen?

if you're familiar with MAME setup use the Forti card as a device. 2 demo .dsk is couple post up on this thread. there are in forth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never seen the real FORTI card. I got the software at a Lubbock users group meeting (1984) but somehow failed to copy both sides of the disk. 

my disks are:

the TI FORTH Demo (graphics) which included 3-voice Bach “Little” Organ Fugue in G Minor.

And half an (early?) FORTI disk, that plays 12-voice Chariots of Fire (badly, on stock console) and Ricercar. The third piece, and big chunks of the source on side 2, were not copied. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mizapf said:

When I load FORTI, I end up in a TI FORTH screen with blinking cursor. Do I have to load some screen?

attach Forti

use chariots.dsk

E/A 3

run DSK1.Forth

after forth starts type: 59 BLOAD

after load type: PLAY

seems to work with all sound channels.

attached is disk for those who don't have it.

oddly the forth disk doesn't seem to work on the HSGPL setup but does work on plain TI-99/4a MAME.

CHARIOTS.dsk

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, hloberg said:

Yes, unfortunately, it's on a 720K diskette, and I don't currently have a PEB system up and running, yet.  It may also take some time to find, as I haven't bothered to sort them, yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

How do I work with the second disk (FORTI-Card-MISC-RMS-01.dsk)? This is the one that drops me off at the TI FORTH prompt.

hmmm, "RMS" is me, and this is a compilation I did ~2 years ago.

I think I have just put MISC .tifiles together there where I thought it´s for the Forti card...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi All,

I am helping my long time friend Peter from Filefair and redrawing his MiniPE system that he was selling in Australia back in the late 1980's. He like me has had their TI equipment either broken, lost or stolen, though some his detailed PCB boards and masks are still intact and I found I still had a basic TI99/4A as a spare. 

Peters MiniPE System had:

Forti compatible Sound card
Disk Controller + 3.5in Drives x3
Pio + RS232x2 + 32k

At the time we had a working Midi interface and were working on the DSR, and was looking at adding Midi and possibly the SID chip to the MiniPE Sound card.

Moving forward to now, as his all schematics were lost, I have been reverse engineering his work and redesigning his unique system so it can be available to the TI community again. I have been working on a Ternary computer for a number of years and decided why not make it be interfaced with a controller of some sort. I found the Raspberry PI Pico as the best option for me, then thought a TI99 could be just as good as it already had a -5V line in both the side port and the cartridge port, this was necessary for Ternary logic. As speed was not an issue with my designs a TI99 would be ideal.

Here are the some of the things I have been working on, they are all prototypical at the moment and need careful testing. 

ATMusic Card            TI Forti compatible Music card (**Sid Chip)                    80%
TIBoB                       TI Break Out Box, 32 lines in, 32 lines out + 16 bit bus  90%  
TIMultiCard               SPI, I2C, USB + (**SD card or Ramdisk) + Midi +VGA    5%
AT Disk                     Disk Controller + 3.5 disk + (**SD card)                      60%
AT PIO-RS232-32K    Pio + Rs232 + (**Usb + Midi)                                      60%
TI-Ternary                Full Multiple Logic Ternary Gate Controller                      20%
TI-MINIPEB              holds 5 MiniPE cards, powered,(**USB/SD)                    90%

** possible additions

All these cards can stack vertically on each other and horizontally on the a MiniPEB bus box. 

I thought I would reach out the guys at Atariage as I have received my first prototype, the AT Music Card, see the pic below. 

I will be in need of a fair amount of added software and hardware (EA RAM XB etc) to get started on some of the software portion of the work. I will keep you guys posted on a new thread when things start cooking. I am still pondering, designing and deciding on how to approach many complex issues.   

Thanks, regards Arto. 

P1000557.JPG

Edited by Artoj
  • Like 12

@Artoj Welcome!   That is a very ambitious project.  I take it that the connectors are the 44-pin side port bus? And that board looks to be a 100x160 Eurocard size?

You may already have it, but there is a tremendous amount of 4A hardware/software documentation on Thierry Nouspikel's website

I've re-implemented most of the software. So far nobody has come forward with the original disks, and all I've ever had is 1/2 of an early version from 1984. 

I have prototyped a FORTI peripheral as a sidecar, in the TIPI form factor.  Additions that I made include: modern headphone amps, stereo phono jacks for line out and headphone, 3.579MHz oscillator, optional 1/2 or 1/4 clock, and a DSR ROM for BASIC support.  Left and right stereo channels have 2 sound chips each. One of the chips on each channel has the clock divider option.  I wasn't interested in 4 channel output (and there is no space to cram in 4 more jacks).

FORTI-2 was my first project, which was going to be all digital.  But my interests have gone in other directions involving vintage sound chips and analog effects. 

The prototype has one output channel busted (for some reason) and problems with the PAL.  So I use a dev board to write bytes to it + lots of bodge wires. 

• Like 7