hloberg

Forti sound card

Posted (edited)

found the manual to the Forti sound card. can't find the disk that is supposed to come with it. anyone got one as a .dsk?

also, does anyone actually own one and used it? and have anyone made some music disk.

I'm adding a music section to TI99resources and want to add this and the sidmaster.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hloberg said:

found the manual to the Forti sound card. can't find the disk that is supposed to come with it. anyone got one as a .dsk?

also, does anyone actually own one and used it? and have anyone made some music disk.

I'm adding a music section to TI99resources and want to add this and the sidmaster.

@FarmerPotato knows: 

...lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

if there is an original (working) disk, I'd also be interested. I emulated the card in MAME, but could not thoroughly test it because the only disk that looked like the original disk was broken.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mizapf said:

if there is an original (working) disk, I'd also be interested. I emulated the card in MAME, but could not thoroughly test it because the only disk that looked like the original disk was broken.

here are the notes and 2 demo disk @FarmerPotato posted. I haven't tested them yet since I don't know 4th.

Downloads.zip

• Like 2

As I recall it was a redo of the theme to Chariots of Fire.

Wonder what someone could do with the AxelF demo and four tms9919's?

Heck, I'd settle for two sound chips, so we could do games with left and right speakers.

• Like 2

I have never heard any recordings of forti output.  Is there a resource where I could listen?

22 minutes ago, DuaneAL said:

I have never heard any recordings of forti output.  Is there a resource where I could listen?

if you're familiar with MAME setup use the Forti card as a device. 2 demo .dsk is couple post up on this thread. there are in forth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never seen the real FORTI card. I got the software at a Lubbock users group meeting (1984) but somehow failed to copy both sides of the disk. 

my disks are:

the TI FORTH Demo (graphics) which included 3-voice Bach “Little” Organ Fugue in G Minor.

And half an (early?) FORTI disk, that plays 12-voice Chariots of Fire (badly, on stock console) and Ricercar. The third piece, and big chunks of the source on side 2, were not copied. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I load FORTI, I end up in a TI FORTH screen with blinking cursor. Do I have to load some screen?

48 minutes ago, mizapf said:

When I load FORTI, I end up in a TI FORTH screen with blinking cursor. Do I have to load some screen?

attach Forti

use chariots.dsk

E/A 3

run DSK1.Forth

after forth starts type: 59 BLOAD

after load type: PLAY

seems to work with all sound channels.

attached is disk for those who don't have it.

oddly the forth disk doesn't seem to work on the HSGPL setup but does work on plain TI-99/4a MAME.

CHARIOTS.dsk

• Like 1

after playing with the Forti, it makes me wonder where they were going with it. it could been hooked up to a keyboard, that might been interesting. could have turned the TI99 into a glorious square wave disco machine. :)

On 1/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, hloberg said:

Yes, unfortunately, it's on a 720K diskette, and I don't currently have a PEB system up and running, yet.  It may also take some time to find, as I haven't bothered to sort them, yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How do I work with the second disk (FORTI-Card-MISC-RMS-01.dsk)? This is the one that drops me off at the TI FORTH prompt.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

How do I work with the second disk (FORTI-Card-MISC-RMS-01.dsk)? This is the one that drops me off at the TI FORTH prompt.

hmmm, "RMS" is me, and this is a compilation I did ~2 years ago.

I think I have just put MISC .tifiles together there where I thought it´s for the Forti card...