IGNORED

Worst Intellivision game is?

Rickster8

On 1/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, ZillaRUSH said:

Desert Bus sucks!!!!  Bought the cart and played it once...doubt I will ever play it again.  Drive that one into a pole.  LOL

LOL!

That's the entire point of the game, to be the most boring, dull, mind-numbingly tiring game possible.

I played it for Extra Life (24-hour live game-streaming for charity event) a few years ago.  I made it about two hours in when my controller just stopped responding and I ran off the road before I could get another plugged in. (I was even using an Inty II for the express purpose of being able to swap controllers! Just wasn't fast enough.)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:44 PM, IMBerzerk said:

That's one thing I don't do... I don't ever compare today's version to original version.  You can't.  That's apples and oranges.  

The reason I give for having such disdain for DK is that I felt after all the great games Imagic put out, and many of the titles Mattel did as well... How the hell didn't someone say...wow.. this really looks bad...no way are we allowing this!!  No title screen other than "Donkey Kong", no music and you know the Intellivision could have done it and my God...what the hell is that noise when you walk? 

But now Mr. me has answered my life-long mystery of why it was so bad... Because they couldn't stop Coleco from selling it.  And what better way for Coleco to push its own system back then??  Put out really shitty versions of games on other systems that look amazing on the system they are selling.  Marketing genius!  I thought this then, and I still think this today. 

My friend Ray had a ColecoVision and just about every arcade game for it.  His exact words to me about other games than arcade games was "what other games do I need to play other than arcade games?". 

Exactly.  Genius... Pure genius.

As I stated earlier in the thread, when writing DK Arcade, Carl Mueller discovered that it wasn't as easy to improve upon Coleco Donkey Kong as he thought it would be. The limited space on the cart no doubt limited its ability to have all four screens and most probably the reason for no title screen. He realized that because it wasn't easy, the probability that it was intentionally bad is low. Without music skills, or graphic skills, the programmer probably did the best he or she could do. What really makes me wonder is why they didn't at least make Mario look proper and why there are/were so many copies made on an obviously poorly done game? Recently, someone asked why even on DK Arcade, that Pauline is a mono coloured 'blob'. That is just a limitation of the machine. He chose to use the moving objects on barrels and making Mario look proper. 

DK_Arcade_Screen1.png

DK_Arcade_Screen2.png

DK_Arcade_Screen3.png

DK_Arcade_Screen4.png

• Like 5

On 1/18/2022 at 12:16 PM, Rickster8 said:

Actually the game glitches at the start of Day 12. This is kind of a KILL screen if you will. So if you can survive 11 days (Easy Level) you essentially win the game because it will glitch to start Day 12. A couple guys on Twin Galaxies have done it a bunch of times. I am terrible at the game, I think the farthest I've gotten was Day 8

Anyone ever figure out why that is?  It's a weird sort of kill screen and I'm interested in what exactly causes it.

I wouldn't say it was the worst game on the Intelli but Space Armada always disappointed me.  Why is everything so big?

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Anyone ever figure out why that is?  It's a weird sort of kill screen and I'm interested in what exactly causes it.

I never looked into it, but maybe I could.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I wouldn't say it was the worst game on the Intelli but Space Armada always disappointed me.  Why is everything so big?

My biggest gripe with Space Armada is that the game always ends when the Invaders land, never for running out of lives.  I hacked this one to slow them down.  At higher levels, they move so fast, you can only manage to shoot two of them before they land.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, Zendocon said:

I never looked into it, but maybe I could.

My biggest gripe with Space Armada is that the game always ends when the Invaders land, never for running out of lives.  I hacked this one to slow them down.  At higher levels, they move so fast, you can only manage to shoot two of them before they land.

Not totally true. In the higher levels when that spaceship thingee descends it will eat the barriers which takes away your protection and then the green squiggly death star bomb will destroy you. The lives go fast then unless you can shoot the red saucer... To me this is the best part of the game, playing cat and mouse with the red saucer... Just shoot the crap out of him, big points and big protection..... But if you cannot hit him and your barriers are gone then you are a sitting duck and your lives go VERY fast..... 

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 2