IGNORED

SD2IEC and Warpspeed?

eightbit

43 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Ideally in the 21th century there would be a consensus on the most effective fastloader, and then pretty much everyone would stick with it, allowing various devices to handle it.

I expect the availability of less expensive and more capable micro-controllers with supporting software well before reaching any kind of consensus.  For fast-loaders, and probably other items, the facts of cost, availability, and preference come into play.  Besides, a consensus artificially and arbitrarily limits the openness of the environment.

If the SD2IEC cannot or will not support some of the lesser fast-loaders, then perhaps a Pi1541 can do it, or some other device which can provide a similar level of functionality.  I rather like the wild west approach to our hobby :)

Yeah. I was about to write something about the price point but removed that part of my previous post. I suppose that the cost of human labour is a bigger part of the total costs than the parts themselves which prevents prices to drop much.

The Pi1541 is interesting. I thought it would be a full emulation and no compatibility issues but every now and then I read indications of the opposite. Perhaps the emulation simply isn't 100%?

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

The Pi1541 is interesting. I thought it would be a full emulation and no compatibility issues but every now and then I read indications of the opposite. Perhaps the emulation simply isn't 100%?

Out of curiosity, is that the project mission, to be 100% compatible?  As we have found with the TI-99/4A and the FinalGROM99, there are plenty of unknowns regarding compatibility between modern and legacy tech which can crop up previously unnoticed.

Honestly I don't know, but I presumed that maximum compatibility would be within the aim since it already tries hard enough to emulate the drive. I mean if the goal was to make a Pi shuffle standard files like e.g. 64HDD did back in the DOS days, not even half the amount of work would be required. Actually already back then there was a project for a cycle exact PC emulation, but it required too much CPU (probably several hundred megahertz worth of Pentium) and the PC would not be able to do anything else but busy wait so it never went much beyond proof of concept.

• Like 1

It still amazes me how nothing available even today can touch the Ultimate II in terms of compatibility and that is already 10 years old. I have found nothing that comes close. I have tried hundreds of applications, games, you name it on the UII and the compatibility appears to be exact to using an actual disk/cart/tape. Amazing device.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, carlsson said:

I'm looking forward to your results. I understand that the original AR was based on SS but based on the SD2IEC README, it seems that the 1581 fastloader may have been added in version 6, perhaps a little earlier. Note that in order to use the SD2IEC with Action Replay, you need to download a 1581 ROM and issue the command XR:1581.ROM and then XW to store it permanently to get file-based M-R emulation.

These test with the Super Snapshot will be a while. I seem to be suffering some failures with the trusty old C-64C. Best laid plans of mice and men......

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RangerG said:

Thanks for the answers. I’m hesitant to open up the machine and put in Jiffydos, but it seems like that may be the only way.

You can run the JiffyDOS (and any other kernal variation) with an EasyFlash 3, and you don't have to open the machine.

(EDIT: Nevermind, I see you are talking about the 128- there is no solution to that, I don't think).

Edited by R.Cade

12 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yes, it does IIRC. I no longer have a C128 with Jiffy but I recall using it with the SD2IEC back in 2014 on a C128 and that did indeed function as expected.

Confirmed.

6 hours ago, RangerG said:

Thanks for the answers. I’m hesitant to open up the machine and put in Jiffydos, but it seems like that may be the only way.

Go whole hog, man. It is very easy to install. I hate putting switches and holes into my computers -- fortunately the original ROMs are in JD mode when the switch is not present, but I cannot tell you about newer ones.  Anyway, this is relevant because my wires broke off and I just never used my 128 without JD and never had any problems.  Given the SD2IEC works with JD, I would not expect problems here, either.

• Like 1