IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2022)

carlsson

Finally played Eschatos and Sonic Mania for the first time in a while, and I'm starting to really like Teki-Paki a lot. It's somehow my #2 most played game this week. I also tried the super easy mode in Kyuukyoku Tiger on both PS4 and Switch and got a very easy no miss on both of them with little effort on my first time playing it. Kyuukyoku Tiger is about 45 minutes and 35~40 seconds long, so although I definitely recommend the very easy mode to beginning shooters, be ready to sit there for a while. If you want something shorter and maybe even better... play Eschatos!

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 901
Kyuukyoku Tiger - 46
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 16

Switch
Get Star - 3 (estimate)
Kyuukyoku Tiger - 71
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 144
Sonic Mania - 82

PC
Eschatos - 51
Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special - 22

• Like 6

In a bit of a different direction... Still only one game, but a different one this time around.

Not sure if I'll go back to NMS any time soon.  May have worn myself out on it.  We'll see.

PS3

Dragon's Crown - 480 min (This game is deeper than I thought it would be... not as deep as the sorceress's cleavage, but I digress...  It very much seems to be one of those games that you could argue was "made for guys".  The beat-em-up gameplay is pretty fun.  I've only tried the fighter (big wide shouldered armored guy) and the amazon (big wide hipped armorless lady), and they're pretty similar.  I played the fighter for about an hour before I streamed it to see if I would be able to stick with it for a whole stream, then switched to the amazon and streamed for seven hours.  Haven't tried the magic users (mage and sorceress) or the ranged character (elfin archer) which probably play a bit differently.  There's also a dwarf who, though I haven't tried him, probably plays similarly to the fighter and amazon.  Along with the beat-em-up gameplay, there's also some RPG elements, such as leveling up and being able to change weapons and armor.  It is multiplayer, up to four players, but I played solo.  However, you can retrieve the "bones" of other players' characters (at least I think they're from other players) at various points and "resurrect" them to help you.  Honestly, there's a lot going on in the game and I think I've typed long enough.  I'll probably stream it again next week, though I'm not sure yet.  We'll see.)

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (February 28th through March 6th, 2022) on modern systems (I didn't play any classic games this week):

Browser-based:

Taonga: Island farm: 200 minutes in 14 sessions

My main game this week was, once again, Taonga: Island farm. There's another new island, but it gets into "grinding mode" (where you have to slash down many plants to progress) pretty soon, even before making any substantial progress on the island. Other than that, I've already accumulated over 90,000 gold units out of the 200,000 I need to buy the last building. On the other hand, at least two more buildings are still in construction.

• Like 6

Another primarily Switch-focused week in Modern Gaming.

Switch:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 180 minutes
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 720 minutes
Dariusburst EX+ - 180 minutes
G-Darius HD - 60 minutes
Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon - 960 minutes
Horizon Chase Turbo - 180 minutes

Pokemon Legends: Arceus - 60 minutes
Triangle Strategy - 900 minutes

World of Solitaire - 240 minutes

I had really hoped to spend more time with Triangle Strategy this weekend (it came out on Friday), but darn real life stuff kept getting in the way.  I think I'm at a point with Getsu that I'm going to set it down in favor of other games.

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 6

PS4 
Horizon Zero Dawn 803 

Xbox 360 

SSX 81

I kept going with HZD.  Still really liking it.  

The 360 is hooked up and ready to play a pretty large catalog of games I own or have access to via XBox Live Gold.  SSX is one of those games that came for free with Gold at some point, and I just wanted to give it a go.  People rave about the series, but I've never really gotten into it.  I think I've played for around 100 minutes, and I like it well enough.  I may keep going with it.  Helps that the weather outside is still cold enough to make me think going skiing or snowboarding again someday is a realistic possibility.  It has been a LONG time.

• Like 6

Another good week for gaming around here this week! I spent most of the week doing a full play through of Resident Evil: Revelations, which was my all time favorite game on the 3DS back when I had one so I finally picked up the Switch port when I saw it on sale for a few bucks on the Switch eShop last week. The Switch port plays just as great as the 3DS version, though I'll admit I did miss the stereoscopic 3D effect and the touchscreen based puzzles that are absent from the Switch release. It's still an utterly fantastic entry in the Resident Evil series even without those 3DS extras though, and I had a lotta fun playing through it again. :)

I also took the time to refurbish my Atari CX-78 trackball this week by opening it up and giving the bearings a few drops of 3-in-1 oil, since they were starting to seize up from not having been lubricated in nearly 40 years. It was an easy project and the trackball works smooth as silk now, so I put it to good use playing a bit of Millipede Trak-Ball and Missile Command Trak-Ball on the 2600. Millipede and Missile Command play just fine with a regular old joystick, but playing them with a proper analog trackball is by far the best way to enjoy those titles if you ask me!

That's all for this week, so until next time and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours :)

553156238_20210630071524_IMG_09102.thumb.JPG.7537e7c07493230e353465b2f4c22989.JPG

Ineligible (All Atari 2600)
Laser Blast - 28 minutes
Megamania - 97 minutes
Millipede Trak-Ball - 14 minutes
Missile Command Trak-Ball - 15 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 7 minutes

Browser Based
Wordle - 58 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Resident Evil: Revelations - 1,140 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,359 minutes (22 hours 39 minutes) [1,198 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Switch: 1,140 minutes
Atari 2600: 161 minutes
Browser Based: 58 minutes

• Like 6

Week 09

Top games

1. Resident Evil: Revelations (Switch) - 1140 min.
2. Lego City Undercover (Xbox One) - 1098 min.
3. GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon (Switch) - 960 min. (#1)
4. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 901 min.
5. Triangle Strategy (Switch) - 900 min.
6. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 803 min. (#7)
7. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Switch) - 720 min. (#9)
8. Minecraft (PS4) - 660 min.
9. Dragon's Crown (PS3) - 480 min.
10. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 463 min. (#4)

Top systems

1. Switch - 4920 min. (#1)
2. PS4 - 2426 min. (#4)
3. Xbox One - 1667 min. (#2)
4. iOS - 588 min. (#6)
5. PS3 - 480 min.
6. PC - 341 min. (#3)
7. Browser based - 323 min. (#7)
8. Xbox 360 - 276 min. (#9)
9. Super Impulse Tiny/Micro Arcade - 15 min.

Total 11036 minutes and 40 different games on 9 different systems, with 11 participants.

While Resident Evil 5 couldn't quite take the title last week, Revelations does this week, almost 45 min ahead of Lego City Undercover and last week's winner GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon first in third place. Systems wise, the Switch again is in a league of its own, though the PS4 does a good effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Relatively light again this time. After learning that there is a new Flowers drama CD being released in April, talking to Rikka's voice actress briefly online to tell her happy birthday on the 9th and each of us saying to the other that we're both looking forward to said drama CD (she's actually in it as two totally separate characters this time, which is interesting), and Suoh's birthday being on the 16th of this month, I think it might be time to replay Flowers again, so it will probably show up next time.

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 511
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 14

Switch
Croixleur Sigma - 5
Sennou Game Teki-Paki - 139

iDOLM@STER 2 - 3

No DLC available anymore for the 360 version, it seems, but the PS3 version comes with over $300 of DLC from the 360 version for free, so I ordered and am changing to the PS3 version instead. Too bad, as I would have preferred playing this on my more reliable and much newer 360 S. At least both versions are super common and are almost worthless in terms of monetary value.

I mentioned it over on the other tracker, but I might take a break from tracking times for a while, just start estimating everything, or only track those games where I can just make a note of the game's internal clock times for those games that do track their own times.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 6

My modern game time this week...

PS2

Gran Turismo 4 - 520 min (Streamed this one this week.  Forgot how much I hate those damn license tests.  It's hard going back to some of these older games with no analog gas/brakes.  Well, it kinda has analog gas/brakes in that the PS2 buttons are pressure sensitive.  I can press harder on the brakes and actually see on a little graph thing in the bottom left hand corner and see the red bar go up when I press harder.  The thing is though... it hurts.  My thumb starts hurting far faster by pressing harder on that button than my finger does on pulling a trigger on later controllers with analog triggers.  Other than that, the game is decent, there's still some things that annoy me...  This is the newest Gran Turismo game I have.  I moved over to the Forza Motorsport series and have enjoyed them.  Don't have the newest one of that series either, though.  I have 3, 4, and 6, but they're pretty darn good.)

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (March 7th through 13th, 2022)...

Taonga: Island farm - 10 minutes.

I only played a single session of Taonga: Island farm this week on Monday morning, after which I stopped gaming entirely because it was taking away too much of my time. My father turns 87 next Saturday and takes up more and more of my time, so some of my usual activities fell short, and I decided to stop gaming to gain more time.

• Like 5

Apple iOS:

Duolingo - 287 minutes

4A7FCCCF-0482-4FD0-B2F5-C762F32F0DDB.thumb.png.198ed367fbdfc17b451ea0e823597ae1.png

C555D5E6-EF44-4B6F-88ED-7B66BB5FCBE4.thumb.jpeg.bc11eede50204bb1695b0d3d42ac7419.jpeg
9A4C7D2E-71D8-4351-BF04-80F4ECB5B274.thumb.jpeg.d439e00a2ea490d87c31e6d8ad71fd8e.jpeg

Pikmin Bloom - 159 minutes mostly because of the community day today:

AFAB60C1-5C7B-4045-B51C-C7157E9A028A.thumb.jpeg.2c726037ecb38c18433f139ba140828d.jpeg

my current crew…

52AFAF0B-4F64-49FA-B403-9C89D6A3CA50.thumb.jpeg.3ba2ad725df46211e72bdf51374d6a5c.jpeg

Browser:

Wordle - 28 minutes

A lot of hairy situations this week.

19396019-AF34-41AC-A70C-5426DEEAB6D4.thumb.jpeg.4d10023ea96a05a502a78ce9dc9332b2.jpeg

92C65C70-113A-4DE0-AA60-8448B75EFB50.thumb.jpeg.92d03a0269d8d56fcd14ca3336a16e0a.jpeg

Nintendo Switch:

A Hat in Time - 185 minutes

The more I play this the more I enjoy it.

Beat this text adventure demo:

B7A73083-DDD7-41F9-A62A-6A77760A840F.thumb.jpeg.bfefd110477edf399aa8689970ef513e.jpeg

The amount of unique detail here is really amazing.

0F04BF56-1ACA-4392-BBB5-32997D35487B.thumb.jpeg.7db80e8d1c1474f4abf5f9a3b09e8d80.jpeg

Some good advice.

8E9158E6-C930-4F60-A218-B73A33A9F89E.thumb.jpeg.9b0b1c877021eeffc1b2eecadba4b49f.jpeg

Sounds like the writer had something to prove…

D6F8FE49-5CD1-4B75-BC38-D2AE99396DF6.thumb.jpeg.45be09e6f9a60ea281d177feea9882be.jpeg

• Like 4

All Switch this past week for Modern Tracker.

Switch:

Borderlands 2 - 120 minutes
Chocobo GP - 300 minutes
Pinball FX3 - 180 minutes
World of Solitaire - 780 minutes
Triangle Strategy - 1380 minutes

I played through some new stuff this week, the ultimately-disappointing Chocobo GP and pretty awesome Indiana Jones table on Pinball FX3.

Totally disregarding the microtransaction aspect of Chocobo GP, the parts of the game that really frustrate me are the overly stiff steering/handling and the AI of the computer racers in Story Mode (even on 'Beginner' level).  Playing through the different racers that I managed to unlock so far, there doesn't seem to be much difference between any of them in how they steer (which is to say, like concrete blocks), though some of them *seem* to drift better.  The AI is merciless and due to the game mechanics, if you get hit by an item, expect to come to a DEAD STOP and for me it pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't win that race.  That being said, once some bugs were worked out, I thought the online 64-player Chocobo GP mode was a lot of fun.  (Though at the same time it makes me sad that the online component is vastly more fun than the single-player Story Mode and some of the carts are locked behind progress in Story Mode)  

"Indiana Jones" is the latest and last table for Pinball FX3 and it's probably one of the most fun (to me) Williams tables.  Some folks may object to the $15 US sticker price, but I felt like it was worth it considering how much pinball I play (and the cost IRL for playing).  Lots to do on the table, the mechanics are reasonably forgiving, it's a high-scoring table.  I'm not sure if I'll ever activate Wizard mode on it, lol, but it's still a lot of fun.

I was able to spend some more time in Triangle Strategy and so far it's been a pretty wild ride.  For the three months of the year so far, it's been the best game that I've played personally on the Switch.  If you enjoy tactical turn-based RPGs you should definitely at least check out the demo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I'll handle these stats Thursday evening, so in case anyone yet hasn't posted (for times up until last Sunday), there will still be some time.

Thank you Carlsson! Between getting 4 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row and having to build and furnish enclosures for nine tarantulas on Monday I've been totally exhausted and completely spaced off the weekly tracker post! :sleep:

I just remembered it now though, so here's my times for the week:

Browser Based
Wordle - 20 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Night in the Woods - 260 minutes

• Like 5

Week 10

Top games

1. Triangle Strategy (Switch) - 1380 min. (#5)
2. Lego City Undercover (Xbox One) - 1137 min. (#2)
3. World of Solitaire (Switch) - 780 min.
4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 762 min. (#6)
5. Minecraft (PS4) - 700 min. (#8)
6. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) - 520 min.
7. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 511 min. (#4)
8. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 444 min. (#10)
9. Chocobo GP (Switch) - 300 min.
10. Monopoly Solitaire (iOS) - 298 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 3528 min. (#1)
2. PS4 - 1987 min. (#2)
3. Xbox One - 1593 min. (#3)
4. iOS - 938 min. (#4)
5. PS2 - 520 min.
6. Xbox 360 - 378 min. (#8)
7. Browser based - 58 min. (#7)

Total 9002 minutes and 31 different games on 7 different systems, with 10 participants.

Pythagoras is pleased this week since Triangle Strategy becomes the most played game, by a margin of four hours ahead of Lego City Undercover. On the systems list, it is status quo for the first four systems in a week with slightly less variation again.

While we don't keep any 1000 Minute Club in the modern tracker, it can be interesting to note that 301 games out of 1657 entries (18%) have exceeded 1000 minutes total gameplay. The classic tracker which has run much longer is up to 482 games out of 10602 (4.5%) to achieve the same. I'm not sure if that means modern games on average are played four times as long periods of time as classic games - my math skills might play tricks on me with that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I'm not sure if that means modern games on average are played four times as long periods of time as classic games - my math skills might play tricks on me with that one.

I'll bet that's accurate.  Modern games seem to be able to keep people's attention for longer I think.  I mean, people can still pick up something like Space Invaders and play it for hours, but people aren't as likely to pick up something like Elden Ring or Dying Light 2 or whatever and only play it for a few minutes.

• Like 1