IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2022 (Season 15)

carlsson

Typical week with the typical Toaplan games and a few random extras. I really do need to sit down and properly learn Hellfire, Out Zone, and Tatsujin.

FC/NES
Gradius - 10
Sky Shark - 7

G/MD
Slap Fight MD - 213
Sonic 1 Mega Mix (ROM hack) - 5
Sonic 3 Complete (ROM hack) - 44
Zero Wing - 35

arcade
Hellfire - 16
Out Zone - 19
Tatsujin - 17
Thunder Force AC - 25
Zero Wing - 15 (estimate)

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (May 2nd through 8th) on classic system:

Arcade:

Frogger - 11 min. in 2 sessions

Galaga - 16 min.

Commodore 64:

Galaga (Arlasoft) - 95 min. in 6 sessions

Gateway to Apshai - 24 min.

Pac-Man (Arlasoft) - 26 min.

My main game this week was Arlasoft's C64 conversion of "Galaga" - not to be confused with the PET version that was subsequently converted to the C-64! This is a fairly new one with much better, muilticolored graphics. It's still not 100% accurate, however, but it's closer to the arcade than any C64 version before it, including the music. Until yesterday, it was available to play on their homepage, but it seems that they removed it from there today.

Coming from there, I tried the arcade version of Galaga as well, which is still smoother and also harder. I also did two more rounds of Frogger, but still didn't get any farther than before. 

What actually lead me there, though, was Arlasoft's conversion of Pac-Man to the C-64, which also has been done before by Atarisoft, but this new one has the correct maze proportions and scrolls. The sound could be a bit better though, and I think the speeds of the game are slightly off as well.

While on the C-64, I also played Gateway to Apshai which I didn't do back in the day when it came out. Much of the time here was taken to read the instructions, and then I didn't even complete the first game, but turned it off after losing 3 of my 5 lives.

• Like 6

PC (DOS)

Blood: One Unit Whole - 26 mins

PC Engine:
Dragon Saber - 58 mins
Soldier Blade - 24 mins

Coryoon: Child of Dragon - 15 mins
Air Zonk - 15 mins (I was showing a friend some PC Engine games over Discord so I was using an emulator. I was showing him Air Zonk and noticed how different it was to the Japanese version that I normally play)
PC Denjin: Punkic Cyborgs - 23 mins

SNES:
Pocky & Rocky 2 - 25 mins

• Like 6

NES

RC Pro-Am 131 (for the NES HSC)

I managed to finish all 24 unique tracks AND spell NINTENDO 3x without finishing 4th.  In the process I got my highest score ever on a game that I've been playing since 1988!

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/328987-games-beaten-in-2022/?do=findComment&comment=5054757

• Like 6

I think my survival in the 2600 HSC is in jeopardy after this week. I am kind of hankering to play an RPG or something at this point. Which I have done a bit this week… more than usual coming on the modern tracker.

Atari 2600:

Gravitar - 300 minutes. My best game took just shy of three hours. For one game.

6189B864-A140-43EE-984A-D3EB56AA3DA0.thumb.jpeg.c6b0037c4ce5af533279aedc0f53c21d.jpeg

Super Breakout - 180 minutes. Couldn’t keep up with the pack on this one.

E7E7C5B8-1227-45EE-9D95-E385FC28407B.thumb.jpeg.3d43ebb4ede092c0a46caa9bdef111d1.jpeg

Milton Bradley Microvision:

Block Buster - 20 minutes. My standby desktop diversion.

Sega Master System:

Rastan - 20 minutes. It really looks like the Game Gear version blown up. I bet the Game Gear was the original port. Still excellent fun.

Sega Genesis:

Bimini Run - 30 minutes. A really unique free-roaming mission-based boat shooter. I suck.

3B9A2A02-B6BC-4EDF-BB68-BA8B62E41CEB.thumb.jpeg.655e2e4277f47ced3e174dc065d4f4f6.jpeg

Tiger R-Zone:

Millennium Falcon Challenge - 30 minutes. Three run throughs, two on video, for May the Fourth.

Remember, Luke…

E94F1C0A-02E2-4B48-A177-E3B13CC057D4.thumb.jpeg.66086aea4101231a6e19a4fcfc962210.jpeg

Always.

EDIT:

EEK! I’m taking my daily arcade for granted.

Discs of Tron - 10 minutes.

Tron - 25 minutes.

Not much progress.

• Like 4

This week I played:

Beyond the Beyond for Playstation - 188 minutes

Pokemon Red Version for Game Boy - 289 minutes

Progress:

Beyond the Beyond - I continued my file from months ago going from arrival at Zalagoon, recruiting Tont then getting the Moon Crescent from the bottom of the pyramid below the Tower of Arawn.

Pokemon Red - I finished making it through Vermillion City, made it over to Celadon City defeating the gym there and am now trying to get enough coins for Porygon at the slot machines.

• Like 6

Arcade

Bubbles - 30 minutes

Frogger - 8 minutes

Ice Cold Beer - 20 minutes (EM game, probably not valid for this list, but a 'desert island' game for me :) )

Joust - 8 minutes

Mr. Do - 10 minutes

Rally-X - 10 minutes

Robotron 2084 - 20 minutes

CoCo2

Demon Seed - 22 minutes

Commodore 64

Empire Strikes Back - 20 minutes

Munchkin 64 - 45 minutes

TRS-80 Model 1

Donut Dilemma - 20 minutes

image.thumb.png.9546579d6093ab611eb1a04ee40f889d.png

image.thumb.png.81aecbfa79b081cd07f7b969073b5b0b.png

image.thumb.png.b7e07ba0c1353247bb2efb86bf9ff7db.png

• Like 6

20 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Air Zonk - 15 mins (I was showing a friend some PC Engine games over Discord so I was using an emulator. I was showing him Air Zonk and noticed how different it was to the Japanese version that I normally play)
PC Denjin: Punkic Cyborgs - 23 mins

That is curious, as Punkic Cyborgs and Air Zonk for the duration of the tracker have been counted as one entry. I also visited Hardcore Gaming 101 which has some screenshots. While they look slightly different, it doesn't strike as two significantly different games. There was a separate entry for PC Denjin in the tracker that I think arrived there by mistake, so I combined all three into one entry for the time being. We can absolutely split them, and possibly go back through the years to tell which times were for which version.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, onlyinajeep said:

Ice Cold Beer - 20 minutes (EM game, probably not valid for this list, but a 'desert island' game for me :) )

Yeah. If we're not counting physical pinball machines, I suppose we shouldn't count physical pachinko or other electromechanical games as well, even if I'm surprised that Taito in 1983 would publish a such arcade game.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, carlsson said:

That is curious, as Punkic Cyborgs and Air Zonk for the duration of the tracker have been counted as one entry. I also visited Hardcore Gaming 101 which has some screenshots. While they look slightly different, it doesn't strike as two significantly different games. There was a separate entry for PC Denjin in the tracker that I think arrived there by mistake, so I combined all three into one entry for the time being. We can absolutely split them, and possibly go back through the years to tell which times were for which version.

Well no matter... it was a large enough difference for me to notice something was off. lol

• Like 3

I dunno. From what multiple pages mention, it seems the Japanese version is more vulgar and immature (poop and nipples) than the combed down Western version (heh, going from punkic cyborgs to politically correct), perhaps a few cut scenes that differ. It hasn't been played that many times here so I could track it back in time and split times.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I dunno. From what multiple pages mention, it seems the Japanese version is more vulgar and immature (poop and nipples) than the combed down Western version (heh, going from punkic cyborgs to politically correct), perhaps a few cut scenes that differ. It hasn't been played that many times here so I could track it back in time and split times.

I'm not saying you have to split it... just that I noticed the difference pretty clearly. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah. If we're not counting physical pinball machines, I suppose we shouldn't count physical pachinko or other electromechanical games as well, even if I'm surprised that Taito in 1983 would publish a such arcade game.

Would you be more surprised about a Taito licensed remake in 2022. :)
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/taito-ice-cold-beer-remakes-are-on-the-way

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's the summary for Week 18, running from May 2 - 8. We logged 3231 minutes of eligible play, playing 55 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Gravitar (Atari 2600) - 300 min. (#7)
2. Pokemon Red Version (Game Boy) - 289 min. (#4)
3. Slap Fight MD (Genesis) - 213 min.
4. Beyond the Beyond (PlayStation) - 188 min.
5. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 180 min. (#1)
6. Aardvark (Atari 2600) - 177 min. (#9)
7. Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki MetaFight) (NES/Famicom) - 154 min.
8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 151 min. (#5)
9. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Genesis) - 141 min. (#3)
10. R.C. Pro-Am (NES/Famicom) - 131 min. (#6)

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Gravitar (Atari 2600) - 300 min. (PN#3)
2. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 180 min. (PN#1)
3. Aardvark (Atari 2600) - 177 min. (PN#4)
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 151 min. (PN#2)
5. Galaga (Arlasoft) (Commodore 64) - 95 min.
6. Munchkin 64 (Commodore 64) - 45 min.
7. Reactor (Atari 2600) - 42 min.
8. Bubbles (Arcade) - 30 min.
8. Scramble (Arcade) - 30 min.
10. Pac-Man (Arlasoft) (Commodore 64) - 26 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 - 874 min. (#1)
2. Genesis - 468 min. (#5)
3. Game Boy - 334 min. (#3)
4. NES/Famicom - 302 min. (#2)
5. Arcade - 270 min. (#6)
6. SNES - 265 min.
7. Commodore 64 - 210 min.
8. PlayStation - 188 min.
9. TG-16/PC Engine - 135 min.
10. Game Gear - 47 min.

The past week was even, no game obtaining more than 9% of the total minutes. Gravitar just barely takes the title ahead of Pokémon Red Version. A whopping 6 of 10 entries on the main list remain from last week. On the pre-NES list, it is a three platform battle between the 2600, C64 and a few older arcade games, which generally is won by the Atari 2600 as also can be seen on the systems list.

We have two new members in the 1000 Minute Club:

#486 Gravitar (Atari 2600) - 1292 min.

#487 Frogger (Arcade) - 1001 min.

It means Frogger on the PlayStation (2013), Atari 2600 (2015) and now Arcade (2022) are part of this club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Atari 8-bit:
Bandits - 20 min.

A little more than detection limit, but at least I'm back with some classic gaming. Fun game with some variation, last seen in the HSC in September 2017.

Note that I might have to delay the stats a little this week as I'm having a board meeting on Tuesday and band on Wednesday. It also means nobody needs to feel rushed to get their reports in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this past week (May 9th through 15th) on classic systems:

Atari 2600:
Fallpit - 63 min. in 3 sessions

This week I played several games of Fallpit on the Atari 2600, which is a new homebrew game based on Pitfall, but structured differently. You could call it Pitfall 1 1/2 if you will. Like in the original Pitfall, there is no scrolling and only two levels, but they are both underground, and like in Pitfall II, there are only 8 screens horizontally. After that you go through a door into the next round. You get your usual ladders and enemies which seem to be lifted from both Pitfall games, but some also may come from other games. I think it's a nice variation on the Pitfall games, and it reminds me of the time back in the day where I was fantasizing what games could be like on the freshly released Intellivision console... like there were different levels you could only reach through several tricks, for instance, by climbing up the swinging vine you could reach the treetops where you could also play and jump around, or after several "normal" screens, one screen contains a house, and if you enter it, you find it's a bowling alley where you can now play Bowling. Exit it again, and a few screens further you would find a helicopter which you can enter and then play something similar to Choplifter. And so on... sadly, no real game was that varied, at least not back then.

• Like 5