IGNORED

ADAM core for MiSTer?

timepilot

Don’t want to sound like a “downer” but the chances of that happening are slim to none. There is only a slightly better chance that an ADAM core will be developed for the CollectorVision Phoenix especially seeing as how many years have passed since it’s release only the Hannimex Pencil 2 core has been added.

So two options are available… own a real ADAM or use one of the ADAM emulators with ADAMem SDL being the best option. Seeing as you probably have your PC connected to a TV via HDMI… there ya go.

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Don’t want to sound like a “downer” but the chances of that happening are slim to none. There is only a slightly better chance that an ADAM core will be developed for the CollectorVision Phoenix especially seeing as how many years have passed since it’s release only the Hannimex Pencil 2 core has been added.

So two options are available… own a real ADAM or use one of the ADAM emulators with ADAMem SDL being the best option. Seeing as you probably have your PC connected to a TV via HDMI… there ya go.

Oh, I already own an ADAM! I just would enjoy the FPGA option, too.

Does it sound like the F18A-Mark II will be compatible with the ADAM?

I am working on an ADAM Compatible Core for a private project.
My concern is with a company such as those who produce the Colectorvision Phoenix, takes other peoples work then uses it in their product.
If you look at the history they use a modified MiSTer Colecovision and Atari 2600 core which are freely available yet they make money selling the Phoenix.[...]

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=41093#p41093

1 hour ago, youxia said:

I am working on an ADAM Compatible Core for a private project.
My concern is with a company such as those who produce the Colectorvision Phoenix, takes other peoples work then uses it in their product.
If you look at the history they use a modified MiSTer Colecovision and Atari 2600 core which are freely available yet they make money selling the Phoenix.[...]

DOH!

3 hours ago, youxia said:

Not sure who the poster is there, but I question their capabilities to create a core if they think the Mister and Phoenix CV cores are the same. I also like how he is concerned with Phoenix "taking others work and using it in their product" when that is the exact purpose of open source. Now it is completely different using open source code in a closed source project, but that is not the case.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:03 PM, timepilot said:

Does it sound like the F18A-Mark II will be compatible with the ADAM?

One of the design objectives behind the Mark II has been better compatibility with a broader array of 9918/9928 platforms, so almost definitely.  Among other things, it's a much smaller board.  So more physically compatible with more 9918/9928 systems.  Which is to say, there's no reason it wouldn't be, and some new reasons it would. 

6 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

One of the design objectives behind the Mark II has been better compatibility with a broader array of 9918/9928 platforms, so almost definitely.  Among other things, it's a much smaller board.  So more physically compatible with more 9918/9928 systems.  Which is to say, there's no reason it wouldn't be, and some new reasons it would. 

Terrific! I hope to have both of my ADAMs (one primary and one backup, in case of disaster or malfunction) outputting HDMI if I can manage it.

Have a Phoenix, and should soon have a MiSTer. I hope that I one day have an ADAM core for both of them. In the meanwhile, I've got the original hardware.

• 4 months later...

Been playing around quite a bit with the new Adam core. It's generally working well, but has a few issues. rampa069 has been great at responding to tickets. He's already resolved multiple, including one of mine which has fixed a long standing audio bug in the Coleco core. I have another issue open that's stopping The Best of Broderbund from working.

It's really nice to see someone taking the time to properly support ColecoVision and Adam on MiSTer.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, goldenegg said:

Been playing around quite a bit with the new Adam core. It's generally working well, but has a few issues. rampa069 has been great at responding to tickets. He's already resolved multiple, including one of mine which has fixed a long standing audio bug in the Coleco core. I have another issue open that's stopping The Best of Broderbund from working.

It's really nice to see someone taking the time to properly support ColecoVision and Adam on MiSTer.

Great to hear.  I've been contemplating getting a MiSTer system but really wanted decent ColecoVision and Adam cores on it beforehand.

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Great to hear.  I've been contemplating getting a MiSTer system but really wanted decent ColecoVision and Adam cores on it beforehand.

I owe a huge "thank you" to the folks who put out the ADAM core.  I don't even own a Mister yet (I have a DE10-nano, and I'm going to be buying the other pieces once they are available, but I am waiting for them to become available through the vendor I want to buy them through).  I had thought that nobody out there cared enough about the ADAM to do a core for it.  I was wrong, and I am so glad that I was wrong.

I have heard that disk/DDP writing is not yet possible.  So be it; I hope that the feature will come along before too long.  I am just thrilled with the prospect of being able to run Buck Rogers Super Game, Addictus, and SmartBASIC on my Mister (when I finally have a Mister).

Thank you to everyone involved in putting out the ADAM core.  I am very grateful for it.

1 hour ago, timepilot said:

I don't even own a Mister yet (I have a DE10-nano, and I'm going to be buying the other pieces once they are available, but I am waiting for them to become available through the vendor I want to buy them through). 

If you have the Nano, you pretty much have what you need to run Mister. The other boards provide additional functionality, but you can run most cores without anything else. The only thing I'd suggest to grab would be a cheap USB hub with a Micro-USB connector. They're inexpensive enough that you can get one now and toss it once you get a better purpose built USB hub.

6 hours ago, goldenegg said:

If you have the Nano, you pretty much have what you need to run Mister. The other boards provide additional functionality, but you can run most cores without anything else. The only thing I'd suggest to grab would be a cheap USB hub with a Micro-USB connector. They're inexpensive enough that you can get one now and toss it once you get a better purpose built USB hub.

Don't forget an SDRAM board. I'm not sure about the ADAM, but many cores will need it. I've got a 32MB which gets me 95-99% of the games/cores but get the 128MB if you need 100% (Neo-Geo and perhaps others).

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Cores-that-use-SDRAM

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

Don't forget an SDRAM board. I'm not sure about the ADAM, but many cores will need it. I've got a 32MB which gets me 95-99% of the games/cores but get the 128MB if you need 100% (Neo-Geo and perhaps others).

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Cores-that-use-SDRAM

I am going to buy the Mister Multisystem from RMCRetro in the UK.  That does the 128 MB RAM, the USB hub, the analogue IO board, etc.  It has built-in SCART (of minimal use because I am an American) and, more importantly, an adapter for composite and S-Video without lag, so that it works with Duck Hunt and other light gun games.

My only reservation was that it is incompatible with a second RAM stick, but the PSX core now works with single RAM and the embryonic Saturn core is beginning to work with single RAM, which suggests to me that a second RAM stick may never be truly necessary.

1 hour ago, timepilot said:

an adapter for composite and S-Video without lag

This works ok with S-Video, but composite is problematic - there are a lot of artifacts in many cores. There is now another ongoing attempt to get it right, but it requires special cores and other adapters.

So unless you really want the Multisystem case, it'd probably work out cheaper (and be more flexible) to buy whatever boards you want in the US.

8 minutes ago, youxia said:

This works ok with S-Video, but composite is problematic - there are a lot of artifacts in many cores. There is now another ongoing attempt to get it right, but it requires special cores and other adapters.

So unless you really want the Multisystem case, it'd probably work out cheaper (and be more flexible) to buy whatever boards you want in the US.

Are you referring to the yellow "custard" adapter?  I do not believe that they have released it for sale yet.

5 minutes ago, timepilot said:

Are you referring to the yellow "custard" adapter?  I do not believe that they have released it for sale yet.

Not sure I heard about that. The new ones I mean will include luma traps for composite and will be made to work with the cores released by MikeS1, as described in the linked thread. This regards only the composite, if you plan on using S-Video then these existing adapters should be fine.

11 minutes ago, youxia said:

Not sure I heard about that. The new ones I mean will include luma traps for composite and will be made to work with the cores released by MikeS1, as described in the linked thread. This regards only the composite, if you plan on using S-Video then these existing adapters should be fine.

A discussion of the "custard" add-on is at 19:15 in this video: https://www.rmcretro.com/videos/a-mister-handheld-multisystem-updates-behind-the-scenes-and-add-on-development-8eAgjgbZyPw

I doubt that they will release it if it is buggy for composite.  Not worth dealing with customer complaints if it falls short.

10 minutes ago, timepilot said:

I doubt that they will release it if it is buggy for composite.  Not worth dealing with customer complaints if it falls short.

It's been released like that for nearly two years by one of the major sellers and kinda swept under the carpet, pretending there is no problem. You can read this thread I linked, if the problem didn't exist then nobody would bother reinventing the wheel.

I don't know which design they are using, but I doubt it's the new one, and in any case it only works with select, specially adjusted cores (which they did not mention in the vid). So it's a fair bet this problem will reappear there.

7 minutes ago, youxia said:

It's been released like that for nearly two years by one of the major sellers and kinda swept under the carpet, pretending there is no problem. You can read this thread I linked, if the problem didn't exist then nobody would bother reinventing the wheel.

I don't know which design they are using, but I doubt it's the new one, and in any case it only works with select, specially adjusted cores (which they did not mention in the vid). So it's a fair bet this problem will reappear there.

I will reach out to Neil at RMC.  Are you quite sure that it only works with select, specially adjusted cores?  They seem to suggest that their conversion does not require special core adjustments.

10 minutes ago, timepilot said:

I will reach out to Neil at RMC.  Are you quite sure that it only works with select, specially adjusted cores?  They seem to suggest that their conversion does not require special core adjustments.

Unless they have some completely new method then from what I know it's not possible to achieve flawless composite without making changes to the cores.

Of course, "flawless" in this context means without additional or new artifcats, because composite itself on OG HW is not flawless.