IGNORED

ADAM core for MiSTer?

timepilot

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Unless they have some completely new method then from what I know it's not possible to achieve flawless composite without making changes to the cores.

Of course, "flawless" in this context means without additional or new artifcats, because composite itself on OG HW is not flawless.

I reached out to Neil at RMC Retro.  He clarified that the Super Video Custard (the yellow SVideo/Composite box for the MMS) is a completely new design of their making that does not require special cores.  It does all of the work in hardware in the cart.

7 minutes ago, timepilot said:

It does all of the work in hardware in the cart.

Like I said, I doubt it is possible for this to work properly in composite, because of MiSTer's intrinsics, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I've asked them about it in the forum, it'll be interesting to see what they say, seeing as there is an ongoing development regarding this elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, youxia said:

Like I said, I doubt it is possible for this to work properly in composite, because of MiSTer's intrinsics, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I've asked them about it in the forum, it'll be interesting to see what they say, seeing as there is an ongoing development regarding this elsewhere.

I do not yet have a MMS or a Custard cart to test, so I personally cannot confirm.  However, I was holding off on buying an MMS until I could find some way to reliably play Duck Hunt on my composite CRT.  This appears to do this.

Truth be told, aside from light gun games that require a CRT to function at all, I have no interest in playing video games on a CRT.  I love the clean, crisp, precise graphics on a modern HDMI screen.  If I could play light gun games without a CRT, then I would never go back to one.  But for the sake of Duck Hunt, I want to find a way.  And this appears to be that way.

41 minutes ago, timepilot said:

If I could play light gun games without a CRT, then I would never go back to one.  But for the sake of Duck Hunt, I want to find a way.  And this appears to be that way.

That's fine, if you only want to play Duck Hunt you wouldn't probably notice these artifacts and I think NES core is actually OK (not all cores are affected equally).

I just mention it for the record and the sake of other interested parties.

As a general proposition, any issues of CRT vs. HDMI aside, I have to say that I am amazed by how much the Mister can do.  And, as a guy who has actually been annoyed for 25 years by the fact that I simply cannot get a rising flying knee kick on Double Dragon II for the NES to consistently execute properly on an emulator, and having likewise been annoyed by occasional input interruptions and lag across all sorts of emulators and on all sorts of computers, I am really excited by the prospect of being able to play all of these systems without lag and with near-perfect replication.  Whether one calls it emulation, replication, or something else, I am just thrilled to have it.  And, once they finally get the MMS boxes back in stock, I will have it.  The addition of the ADAM core patched the one missing component that I needed for it to cover all of the bases most important to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...