IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

Well, I had a little issue today with my SC1224. the v-hold was a little off and I went to adjust it. I have made these adjustments before and trust me when I say I use kid gloves. But, even still, with the slightest turn the pot came right off the board internally. It must have been abused in the past (this is a used monitor I got in FB Marketplace some time ago). I can fix it, but I just don't have the time right now to tear down the display, unsolder the pot and add a new one. I will do this eventually, but no time at the present.

So, since I did order an ST2VGA adapter from Centuriontech some time ago just as a backup way to connect this to something (and thank God I did!) I figured I would test some monitors I have around the house. The adapter has a switch to go from "low" or "high". Low being the low and medium color resolutions and high being the high res monochrome.

First I tested an old Starlogic CRT display. This is the only CRT I have in the house other than the SC1224. I expected that to work...but it would only work with the high res monochrome mode. Then I tried my BenQ GL2460. Same thing. Then I tried an HP display I use for work. Same thing. I was actually surprised all of these can display the high res monochrome mode...but that is not what I want of course. I want color :)

Then I tested a 27inch Dell I just purchased for my wife for Christmas not expecting it to work at all. But, it DID work! All modes work...all resolutions. I am blown away that something new actually works. It even works fine with 50Hz modes. And, it has a 4:3 aspect ratio setting in the settings to allow it to display unstretched.

That being said, I flew back to Microcenter to buy another one. This is the monitor:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/638580/dell-se2722h-27-full-hd-(1920-x-1080)-75hz-led-monitor

I think the pictures speak for themselves. Sorry for the camera flash :)

I expect this monitor will work with Amiga computers as well but I do not have one to test. I am using an Atari 520STm in these pictures.

Just a heads up while they are still available!

IMG_20220106_221721.jpg

IMG_20220106_221738.jpg

IMG_20220106_223228.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tuf said:

Very cool!  Did you test mono with it as well?

I've got to hit Microcenter tomorrow, I'll pick one up and give it a test on the Amiga.

I did. High res mono works perfectly too :)

I posted this in the Amiga forums too as I am really curious to see if it does work. If so this is a real home run. Well, it already is for me at least since I have a nice BIG modern display for the ST that works. Playing Xenon 2 on this was pretty awesome I will say!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I should also add that this monitor does not loose its settings when you power it off. I am completely powering it off since I am using the surgemaster. But, when I power it on again the 4:3 setting is retained. Excellent. I know that is an issue with some displays but not this one.

Thanks for this post @eightbit I'm currently making a colour/VGA cable for my ST and was thinking I would have to

use a HDMI converter, but I recently bought a iiyama 27" monitor for my PC, it has a VGA input, it also is an AMD FreeSync

so I have my finger crossed. will report back to this post if it works.

• Like 1

Plenty of LCD support 15khz without listing it in their tech spec. 

I bought two off brand (chinese) 15" 5:4 and 4:3 new monitor last year. One is Composite/svideo/svga and the other also has HDMI and speakers. One was: Haier 15in LCD Flat Screen TV Television HL15E Factory Sealed NIB New, the other is a ViewEra V151HV 15" Black Monitor. Both bought on ebay.

22 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

Plenty of LCD support 15khz without listing it in their tech spec. 

I bet they do. But I didn't feel like hunting down a 13 year old monitor :)

It's not as easy as you think to just "find" 15khz compatible displays. I have purchased dozens of used old flat panels from Goodwills over the years and only encountered one that worked. I kind of got tired of "taking chances" and buying crap monitors I didn't need and tried to only find one of the displays listed on the 15khz wiki page. But good luck with that.

At least this is something new that you can go and buy right now and is absolutely confirmed to work!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Yeah, that was the list I was referring to. Very outdated. Good luck finding any of those displays new. Not many provide full support either. I have had that list saved on my phone during my Goodwill hunts for years ;)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I bet they do. But I didn't feel like hunting down a 13 year old monitor :)

It's not as easy as you think to just "find" 15khz compatible displays. I have purchased dozens of used old flat panels from Goodwills over the years and only encountered one that worked. I kind of got tired of "taking chances" and buying crap monitors I didn't need and tried to only find one of the displays listed on the 15khz wiki page. But good luck with that.

At least this is something new that you can go and buy right now and is absolutely confirmed to work!

Both were new in box.

And I must be the luckyest guy around because of the 7 LCD panel I have in my house, only one didn't work and none were advertised as doing so. That wiki hasn't been updated in ages. Seems it was but I don't really see any changes from the last time I checked.

Edited by Tuxon86

22 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

And I must be the luckyest guy around because of the 7 LCD panel I have in my house, only one didn't work and none were advertised as doing so. 

Indeed you are. I have tested probably around 70 or so displays ranging from 2005-present over the past few years and found ONE that worked. And when I say worked, it was not great. It would not remember the position and you had to readjust the display every time you powered on. I believe it was a Planar 17inch display although I do not recall the model #.

Dell SE2422H and 2222 are from the same series, just smaller, perhaps they will work too.

BTW, I've connected my STE to Benq BL702A monitor (I monitor that works Atarai/Amiga) with Centuriontech adapter.

High resolution is ok but in low and med resolutions some pixels are lost and there's noise.

Perhaps someone could help?

I've tested a 520ST+ but it bombs with the adapter (with a scart cable it works).

100.thumb.jpg.871382892dbe274d5112ad1c3cfe942d.jpg

101.thumb.jpg.7dc412f1c8bb6fe1e6789d80c63476cd.jpg

If your BenQ has a phase setting you can try adjusting it and see if you can correct the missing pixel issue. 

I think most of these flat panel monitors will exhibit some noise. Even this 27 inch monitor does on the black levels. Not as bad as your picture, but it is visible on mine too when the backgrounds are black. When they are not everything looks fine.

I guess nothing will be as good as a true CRT Atari monitor but I am happy I am just getting a color display period ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Philsan said:

High resolution is ok but in low and med resolutions some pixels are lost and there's noise.

Perhaps someone could help?

I've tested a 520ST+ but it bombs with the adapter (with a scart cable it works).

100.thumb.jpg.871382892dbe274d5112ad1c3cfe942d.jpg

So  @eightbit, do you see any lost pixels like shown above with your Dell?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

6 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

So  @eightbit, do you see any lost pixels like shown above with your Dell?

No, no lost pixels at all. The only issue that I can see is line interference on what should be black backgrounds. When the background is colorful (like in a game) it is extremely hard to detect. But if the background is black, yeah, its like phase lines or something.

But, I can totally live with that. I bumped the sharpness to 100% (after I took the pictures in this thread) and the crispness is superb. No lost pixels and the picture is fantastic other that the aforementioned line noise on blacks.

It does feel weird playing it on such a bug display however. I am so used to the original 12 inch monitor. I can really SEE stuff now ;)

EDIT: Just snapped a really up close of the screen with sharpness at 100%. Medum res color of course.

IMG_20220107_224839.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chri O. said:

ATARI  1040 ST/e  (USA NTSC).

Atari Falcon 030 next ?

Awesome man. I suspect you see the line artifacts on black screens like I do? It's not a huge deal to me...at least I have a display that actually works in all modes and handles 4:3 correctly. And retains the settings!