IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

On 2/25/2022 at 5:27 PM, Tillek said:

Ah, so they have them back in stock.  (The Mayfield Heights store had some, but I was out of town and when I got back, all out.....)

I ended up getting some of the SE2722HX ones and they seem to be the same from what I can tell.  I do prefer using it to the old CRT for my BBS too.

We still  have to manage to get together someday... We're the only two ST BBS SysOps in NE Ohio after all!

Im in how about dinner this week? I will pm you.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, groppo91 said:

Hi I am in UK and have just ordered the SE2722H monitor, what cable will I need or can anyone recommend one for connecting a 1040STE to the monitor? I take it the monitor does not have speakers either so any advice would be much appreciated. 

Get one of these: https://centuriontech.eu/product/st2vga-r4/

It'll have an audio output for speakers or whatever.

Maybe consider the Best Electronics cable. It is good quality and includes a Color/Mono switch and audio breakout (of course more expensive than the adapter above).

Best Electronics Second Generation ST Multi Sync adapter cable.  

I am using these Sony speakers.  They are very small, have a 3.5" wired audio plug and fit under the monitor.

SRS-M30

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

6 hours ago, groppo91 said:

Hi I think because I have an ste it already has two mono rca outputs for speakers. Would it be best to just get a VGA cable with an Atari end? If so any recommendations on where to get one? 

Just ignore the audio plug on the adapter and use the stereo output of the STe.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, eightbit said:

I have had that list saved on my phone during my Goodwill hunts for years ;)

I still do and found three at Goodwill in maybe four years.  Still, I'd prefer a new monitor with HDMI as well so thank you for this post!

Edited by Airshack

11 hours ago, Airshack said:

I still do and found three at Goodwill in maybe four years.  Still, I'd prefer a new monitor with HDMI as well so thank you for this post!

... and I thought I was the only one.  Of course, I had a tendency to buy the cheap ones anyway just to see.

And ended up with a ton of them that I never even tested.

... which ended up back at Goodwill this past January after the "purge".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, groppo91 said:

Okay so I bought the SE2722H monitor and set it all up but find I can only select high res monochrome. Did I do something wrong?

If that's all your cable supports, I'm guessing you're stuck.  So lets start with that... what ST to VGA cable/adapter are you using?

The cable on the original Atari color and monochrome monitors had different pinouts to the monitor.  Years ago I had a multisync monitor and built a cable with a switch in it the allow me to use either the color pinout or the monochrome pinout.  This still works.  I believe there were 3 or 4 pins that needed to be switched.  I don't have the multisync monitor any more but have used the cable with a VGA capable monitor or a VGA to HDMI converter.  If you have an old Atari monitor cable you could cut it in half and add a VGA plug to each end with one set-up for color and the other for mono.

23 hours ago, Irata 008 said:

So did anyone from nz or aus try this out?  

I see we can buy the Dell 27 “ at Jbhifi in nz for $299. 

https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/computers-tablets/monitors/dell/dell-se2722h-27-full-hd-monitor/395888/

I'm in Aus and can confirm it works nicely - got one from JB Hifi back when this thread was first posted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckrabanyule said:

I'm in Aus and can confirm it works nicely - got one from JB Hifi back when this thread was first posted.

I bought one of these when the post was first made... but it is still in the box!  Have we actually had any luck confirming that FreeSync basically equals MultiSync?  I have a few I could test with...

2 minutes ago, leech said:

I bought one of these when the post was first made... but it is still in the box!  Have we actually had any luck confirming that FreeSync basically equals MultiSync?  I have a few I could test with...

Freesync lets two compatible devices adjust their refresh rates in real time.  There's a number of adaptive sync standards (FreeSync, G-Sync, etc).  It's meant to reduce tearing in modern video games by scaling the refresh rate to match what the card outputs.

Multisync simply refers to a monitor that can synchronize to more than one (fixed) scan rate.  NEC trademarked the term back in the day b/c their monitors supported multiple scan rates.

Scan rates and refresh rates aren't the same thing.  Technically I suspect all monitors today could be considered Multisync as they all support more than a single horizontal and vertical scan rate.  Sometimes we get lucky and find modern ones that can support scan rates low enough for vintage resolutions.

13 minutes ago, leech said:

Can't say it's been confirmed yet, but most things people are throwing at it seem to work.

The only issue I've had was when I tried running an ST off HDMI by going from the ST => VGA => HDMI (trying to use an HDMI switchbox).  No go on that.

1 hour ago, tuf said:

Freesync lets two compatible devices adjust their refresh rates in real time.  There's a number of adaptive sync standards (FreeSync, G-Sync, etc).  It's meant to reduce tearing in modern video games by scaling the refresh rate to match what the card outputs.

Multisync simply refers to a monitor that can synchronize to more than one (fixed) scan rate.  NEC trademarked the term back in the day b/c their monitors supported multiple scan rates.

Scan rates and refresh rates aren't the same thing.  Technically I suspect all monitors today could be considered Multisync as they all support more than a single horizontal and vertical scan rate.  Sometimes we get lucky and find modern ones that can support scan rates low enough for vintage resolutions.

Well, very recent monitors, I would agree.  The vast majority of LCD screens are stuck at 31khz/60hz, and look crap if you are not using a divisible resolution to the 'native'.

Granted I should just stick to CRTs for old computers.  Sure some things like the MiSTer can fake things like scan lines, but for original hardware I love old CRTs!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, tuf said:

They only had 1 of those adapters in stock btw, so hopefully you grabbed it.  I've got the Best cable also and much prefer the adapter.

Too late, I got the last one :) after seeing this post from @tuf , didn't know it existed, it arrived in 5 days, not bad from

EU to UK given the problems some have had since the UK left the EU.

Works fine in mono mode, still have to check on my Freesync monitor to see if the colour works too, my monitor has

a small headphone socket for sound, so again this will make the connection easy.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ochen said:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/coupons/N=5+549384/?cm_sp=multi_category-_-coupons_offers_-_-deal-center_top-deals_main_9_2_0&promo_name=multi_category&promo_id=multi_category-coupons-offers&promo_creative=coupons_offers&promo_position=deal-center_top-deals_main_9_2_0

I think most of the free crap coupons at the bottom will work with this too. You will have to add item to cart.

Tried the noodle cup set and the bacon grease container worked. (edit) not at the same time.

Edited by H454