IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

Well not looking so great, all the low and medium resolutions work beautiful but as soon as I switch to Interlace on it's a whole another story.

I am definitely having issues with RGB and Interlace On mode, seems like the screen is jumping by one pixel up and down quickly.

So I guess anything about 600 x 400 looks way better through VGA.  (Or is it 600x480 VGA ?)

6 minutes ago, Chri O. said:

Well not looking so great, all the low and medium resolutions work beautiful but as soon as I switch to Interlace on it's a whole another story.

I am definitely having issues with RGB and Interlace On mode, seems like the screen is jumping by one pixel up and down quickly.

So I guess anything about 600 x 400 looks way better through VGA.  (Or is it 600x480 VGA ?)

On the Falcon I think you have TV modes and VGA modes, each with an interlace option and 80 column mode option.  If you run one of the VGA modes with interlace on/80 column mode, how does it look?  Can you tell what rate its syncing to?

Edited by tuf

RGB... While this pictures does not show the distortion I am seeing through my eyes apparently the phone can capture one single frame no problem.

Trust me this is not something you want to look at for too long.

20220108_185627.thumb.jpg.678888a6c6ce3f59b8b9fa39e533dcd7.jpg

EDIT: oh wow okay on bigger screen on the computer I can actually see it...

Edited by Chri O.

All good.  Unfortunately, this is the end of my holiday vacation... but I'll pick up one or two of the monitors next weekend and play with it.  (I have enough ST's that it's worth the investment just for those, but maybe the U2410's aren't going to be retired just yet). ;)

/s

@ParanoidLittleMan post# 44

This reminds me - there was some project of real digital video output from modded Atari ST(E) machines - any experiences with it ?

No experiences yet but I did get almost all the parts necessary except the PCB, converts digital RGB signals to HDMI, this is probably the best picture quality possible on any of the Atari computers all Pure digital: https://github.com/c0pperdragon/Amiga-Digital-Video/issues/6

There's also a 22 inch in the line that you can try:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/638578/dell-se2222h-215-quot-full-hd-(1920-x-1080)-60hz-led-monitor?rf=PDP_altSell+>+Cross_Sell+>+Cross+Sell+LED+LCD+Monitors+Broad

Although it does not advertise "FreeSync". Would be interesting to see if this one works or not.

• Like 1

I happened upon this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265460408914

It is a VGA adapter for the Amiga series machines that has "VLR" or "vertical line reduction".

Those lines in one of the auction pictures look just like the lines we are seeing while using this monitor with the Atari ST. I wonder what technology this seller is using to remove the lines? I wonder if some VGA adapter for the ST exists that can do the same thing?

Edited by eightbit

35 minutes ago, eightbit said:

There's also a 22 inch in the line that you can try:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/638578/dell-se2222h-215-quot-full-hd-(1920-x-1080)-60hz-led-monitor?rf=PDP_altSell+>+Cross_Sell+>+Cross+Sell+LED+LCD+Monitors+Broad

Although it does not advertise "FreeSync". Would be interesting to see if this one works or not.

Going by this page it looks like the 22 inch version doesn't support FreeSync.

https://www.displaydb.com/compare/dell-se2422h/dell-se2222h

Look under the Features->Cool Features section.

18 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I happened upon this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265460408914

It is a VGA adapter for the Amiga series machines that has "VLR" or "vertical line reduction".

Those lines in one of the auction pictures look just like the lines we are seeing while using this monitor with the Atari ST. I wonder what technology this seller is using to remove the lines? I wonder if some VGA adapter for the ST exists that can do the same thing?

Interesting.  That would be nice to have for the ST also. Wonder if the developer has considered it?

1 minute ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Interesting.  That would be nice to have for the ST also. Wonder if the developer has considered it?

I sent him a message and asked. Those lines are precisely what I get on the ST so I bet whatever fix he has in place with this adapter would solve the problem for this.

15 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Considering price: for same money (200 bucks) here can buy 24 inch Philips TV - 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Scart inputs. 

I am very envious. If we had the ability to get any display in the USA with a SCART connector as easily I would snap one up in a heartbeat!

Having video input on new TVs was mandatory in Europe since about 1990 . Of course because home computers, video recorders and other devices producing video signal.

Scart is just connector what has it all in one - composite video, R,G,B inputs, stereo audio input . And S-Video too . Some TVs had for instance RCA jacks - 1 for composite, 1 for audio, or 2.   I saw even solutions with optocouplers - where TV electronic was not insulated from electric power.

Now, why no newer TVs on USA market with support for old, analog video signals - NTSC in first place ? Or there are ? But no RGB input, for sure. Still, should work via VGA, because can work at 16 KHz video (hor. freq.) . 

Here to add that support for those lower scan frequencies really doesn't raise manufacturing costs. It is all in chips/firmware.

19 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Scart is just connector what has it all in one - composite video, R,G,B inputs, stereo audio input .

I think really what I mean by being envious to your SCART connection is that it accepts RGB signals. We did not have RGB here at all. We had component by the late 90's and early 2000's, but that signal is of course not RGB and we have to convert it. I am of course referring to TV's we had prior to HDMI or VGA connections like they do now.

Edited by eightbit