fabrice montupet

SAMS and TI Extented Basic

The best solution is a paged 8K at >4000 to >5FFF memory, so this presents a single problem loading and saving SAMS.

But as 4K of it would be used for memory map of SAMS the other 4K could be used for swapping pages when something complicated is needed.

From the description of XB packer, it looks like XB programs that load assembly routines will likely overwrite the XBP loader which won't fit my purposes, although it does demonstrate very interesting capabilities.

Perhaps I could emulate some of its capabilities using a custom loader, but I need to understand how it does what it does. What are the elements that need to be saved for a program currently residing in the 24K upper memory to be preserved and later restored? I suppose I could simply copy the entire VDP and the 24K RAM to the SAMS then restore them at a later time and still have plenty of space in the SAMS for another XB program and its VDP image, but that would a pure brute force method....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

From the description of XB packer, it looks like XB programs that load assembly routines will likely overwrite the XBP loader which won't fit my purposes, although it does demonstrate very interesting capabilities.

Perhaps I could emulate some of its capabilities using a custom loader, but I need to understand how it does what it does. What are the elements that need to be saved for a program currently residing in the 24K upper memory to be preserved and later restored? I suppose I could simply copy the entire VDP and the 24K RAM to the SAMS then restore them at a later time and still have plenty of space in the SAMS for another XB program and its VDP image, but that would a pure brute force method....

You only have to copy the 16K VDP RAM and scratchpad memory to SAMS, the 24K RAM is already there in SAMS. It's just a matter of switching the proper SAMS pages.

Copying 16KB VDP RAM is fast. In the latest Stevie revision I have up to 5 TI Basic sessions and can switch between them in no time. There's nothing wrong with brute force if it's fast.😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1