IGNORED

So excited that tomorrow I get to go into my friends attic for his Jaguar stuff

The Helper

I am going to so video this.  Tomorrow my buddy is going to dig out his Atari Jaguar collection from back in the day that has been sitting in the attic for I do not even know how many years.  I know he has the Jag and CD plus tons of games and also some other classic game goodness not for this forum.  I am freaking so excited to open this Atari Jaguar time capsule tomorrow!  All of his stuff is going up for sale in the future outside of what I cherry pick LOL, just saying!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if the attic is insulated at all, or if the game items have been subjected to wild temperature swings they'd likely get in an uninsulated space - and if so, how long they were up there and whether the items all still work.  I have a large uninsulated storage area in my house that I'd theoretically like to use to hold game stuff but I can't bring myself to do it because I feel like it would degrade the condition too much / destroy stuff like CDs or fragile internal components, make paper manuals and plastic console shells brittle, etc.

Edited by sirlynxalot

59 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

Just curious if the attic is insulated at all, or if the game items have been subjected to wild temperature swings they'd likely get in an uninsulated space - and if so, how long they were up there and whether the items all still work.  I have a large uninsulated storage area in my house that I'd theoretically like to use to hold game stuff but I can't bring myself to do it because I feel like it would degrade the condition too much / destroy stuff like CDs or fragile internal components, make paper manuals and plastic console shells brittle, etc.

During time when wife was bleating incessantly about lack of space, I schlepped bunch of carts and non-Atari consoles into attic, where they were subjected to winters of temps in minus-teens and summers of 100-degree heat and insanely high humidity. Everything came through unscathed.

I certainly no not recommend doing so, however!

Edited by Editorb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

All my stuff was or is in an uninsulated attic that sees pretty extreme highs and lows and only gets whatever climate control leaks through the insulation, and none of it seems the worse for wear…

• Like 2

I don't know yet.  He was only able to find the Jag and the Jag CD.  No power cords or connectors just the units.  The box with the other stuff is still buried somewhere.  I do not know the condition.  The Jag and the Jag CD were caked in dust but otherwise looked in good shape.  Going back soon to try and look for the other stuff and clean up the Jag and CD and use my cords and power to test it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

My thought as well,  my attic is frigid in the winter and hot in the summer,  I'm picky about what I will store up there and what goes into the basement which is less subject to temperature extremes.

I wouldn't subject anything I cared about to the temperature extremes of an attic. 

I'd probably put a Jaguar CD up there --- oh you say they're rare and valuable now? Well in that case, I wouldn't put them up there, either. 

Good luck with the JagCD. Might want to adjust your expectations accordingly with the quirks and limitations of that system. 

• Like 2

I’d never again store my consoles in the attic (although years ago, I did). But I’ve kept all the game cases and some controllers in sealed resin bins in the attic for years,  sometimes bins within bins, and I can’t tell any deterioration. I bet the inside of a parked car is far hotter than the average attic.  Humidity and moisture are the worst destroyers.  Direct sunlight also harms various surfaces.  Magazines I kept in my house integral garage, in a cabinet, are ruined.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Basements flood, in places they never used to, like where I live. No amount of heat or cold or atmospheric humidity will destroy like liquid water.

True,  but in my case I'm built on a hill with a garage door leading out of the basement, so it would take a Noah's Ark-type event for my basement to flood more than an inch or so.   I don't keep valuables on the floor.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zzip said:

True,  but in my case I'm built on a hill with a garage door leading out of the basement, so it would take a Noah's Ark-type event for my basement to flood more than an inch or so.   I don't keep valuables on the floor.

If it does occur, be sure to take two copies of each Jag game to the upper levels before setting the house adrift.

• Haha 5