IGNORED

Atari VCS operating system won’t update. Help!

DoesItMatter

Out of curiosity, for those experiencing this issue, have you tried creating a new account? Since using the Guest account seems to at least get to the Dashboard, and the issues Atari was having with the authentication tokens a while back, I wonder if it is possibly something to do with the account on the server. Just a guess... but, if Windows works on the machine it suggests it might not be hardware and since so many people are running the newest update without issue, I wonder if the account could possibly be a piece of it.

The other things I would consider would be any kind of network security like firewalls. Has anyone experiencing this problem had an opportunity to try the VCS on a different network?

1 hour ago, stirrell said:

Out of curiosity, for those experiencing this issue, have you tried creating a new account? Since using the Guest account seems to at least get to the Dashboard, and the issues Atari was having with the authentication tokens a while back, I wonder if it is possibly something to do with the account on the server. Just a guess... but, if Windows works on the machine it suggests it might not be hardware and since so many people are running the newest update without issue, I wonder if the account could possibly be a piece of it.

The other things I would consider would be any kind of network security like firewalls. Has anyone experiencing this problem had an opportunity to try the VCS on a different network?

With my case:

1.  I tried to create a new account and was able to log onto the console - just like when I used the GUEST account and my initial account.  However, in all cases when you try and launch an application, or download something from the store you get "Waiting for download" and a progress bar that never moves.  The download then eventually times out after several minutes (with no error code or message displayed).  While this is going on, the console itself idles it's fan up and down about every 30 seconds.  At the end, I have a console that is now essentially a "brick" - I am unable to run ANY games or apps.

2.  I thought about the network firewall as well.  Couple of things I have tried:

2.1 After flashing the console, after reboot the system was able to connect to the server and download updates over WiFi.

2.2 I connected the system via Ethernet without any change.

2.3 I connected the console to a WiFi hotspot via my phone, again no change.

I am at 35 days and counting without a solution.  So frustrated with Atari and their inability to solve this in Tech Support.

1 hour ago, atari_bubba said:

With my case:

1.  I tried to create a new account and was able to log onto the console - just like when I used the GUEST account and my initial account.  However, in all cases when you try and launch an application, or download something from the store you get "Waiting for download" and a progress bar that never moves.  The download then eventually times out after several minutes (with no error code or message displayed).  While this is going on, the console itself idles it's fan up and down about every 30 seconds.  At the end, I have a console that is now essentially a "brick" - I am unable to run ANY games or apps.

2.  I thought about the network firewall as well.  Couple of things I have tried:

2.1 After flashing the console, after reboot the system was able to connect to the server and download updates over WiFi.

2.2 I connected the system via Ethernet without any change.

2.3 I connected the console to a WiFi hotspot via my phone, again no change.

I am at 35 days and counting without a solution.  So frustrated with Atari and their inability to solve this in Tech Support.

This is exactly the problem I’m having after manually flashing the OS.  Before that point I couldn’t even create an account or do anything.  Either way, I still can’t play any games or do anything with my VCS.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, Tinman said:

This is exactly the problem I’m having after manually flashing the OS.  Before that point I couldn’t even create an account or do anything.  Either way, I still can’t play any games or do anything with my VCS.

I have noticed today that if I now connect via a Hotspot on my phone, that it appears that the console is starting to connect again.

Does anyone know if this also works for them?  If so, then it may point to an issue with a setting on the router.  Strange, since this seems to have come with the latest OS Update.

20 hours ago, RadiATIon said:

Can you test to connect with your original account, go to change your username and activate the pin to enter in the dashboard? Give it a try. 

I can log into the unit with either account and check things like software and BIOS status, etc.  It's just that you can't access any applications or stuff from the store.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, atari_bubba said:

In my case, I can't get Chrome or ANY application to download or run on the console.  It is basically a brick for me at the moment.  Are other apps working on your console - like VCS Vault?

Most of apps the are downloaded work like the recharged games I own. VCS Vault works. Chrome, Antstream, AirConsole and others do not work.

• 6 months later...

I've attached a photo of the screen I keep getting after my VCS restarts. I flashed my VCS with the latest update, but when it gets to the blue update screen, it installs the available updates, restarts the system, then does it all over again. It's a never-ending cycle. 

How can I make this stop? This is ridiculous. I can't get past the updates. Anyone else had this problem?? 

20220810_163858.jpg

1 minute ago, RadiATIon said:

I have already encountered this problem. This was because I was leaving a USB stick with Grub or refind on it. Have you installed any of these multiboot solutions?

I had the problem with a grub stick.  I wondered if it was booting an older kernel triggering an update.   Once I booted Atari OS without the USB stick, it sorted itself out.

Does refind have the same issue?  I thought it detected the latest kernels at boot time?

28 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

I have already encountered this problem. This was because I was leaving a USB stick with Grub or refind on it. Have you installed any of these multiboot solutions?

I used the Atari OS image that a tech support rep sent me with the latest update from March. I used Rufus to do it on my USB stick as the instructions directed me to. 

1 hour ago, DoesItMatter said:

I used the Atari OS image that a tech support rep sent me with the latest update from March. I used Rufus to do it on my USB stick as the instructions directed me to. 

Did you install any alternate OSes, or have a bootable USB inserted when you boot the system, or change anything in BIOS around boot settings

If not, then maybe something went wrong during the reflashing process and that needs to be done again

I am having trouble also with the VCS updating. Everything was fine until I started getting the "bearer token" error.  I re-flashed and that did not work. I could not sign to my account and I could bring the "Store". Everything was blank. I sent an email to the VCS Support and I was soon given an URL address to a newer OS image file. I downloaded and flashed it. Then I had another problem. The VCS came up as usual and I was able to choose the language and the network. That went okay, but when it came to the update scree (light blue background), it would go through motions like it was updating and then reset itself. Then it would do the same thing again and keep on doing it as long as I did kept letting it do it. It would even do it even if I was not connected to the network. I cannot figure out just what happened. The guy from Support was going to turn it over to Engineering. Anyone have any ideas?

17 minutes ago, Atari Nut said:

After flashing... did you choose a wireless network first?  If so, you may want to flash again and try using an ethernet cable the first time you boot it up.

Yes I did choose the wireless network first. You are correct about the ethernet cable because it is now working and I cannot understand just what happened. I flashed again and choose the wireless network, but I noticed something different. In the upper right corner I always had a WIFI symbol, but but this time I had an ethernet symbol. I was so happy when everything worked, but I still cannot figure out just what I did to get it working.

• Like 1

I think I may know just why things started working. I use my VCS to load WIN10 and there is a program called CCleaner that I use. It reported that there were 4 devices that needed updating and I updated them. hat this It was soon after that I started the VCS. Could be that  this updating, this fixed the problem with the VCS.  

35 minutes ago, superatarian said:

I think I may know just why things started working. I use my VCS to load WIN10 and there is a program called CCleaner that I use. It reported that there were 4 devices that needed updating and I updated them. hat this It was soon after that I started the VCS. Could be that  this updating, this fixed the problem with the VCS.  

This is exactly the issue I'm having right now. I posted a thread about it a few days ago. 

So are you saying that all I need to do is flash again, then connect via Ethernet instead of WiFi? 

12 hours ago, DoesItMatter said:

This is exactly the issue I'm having right now. I posted a thread about it a few days ago. 

So are you saying that all I need to do is flash again, then connect via Ethernet instead of WiFi? 

Well it worked for me. After you boot the VCS up and you choose your network, look in the upper right hand corner and see what symbol is there.  If it looks like a key that is the Ethernet and you should be fine, but if it is the WIFI symbol then you may not be be. I updated the driver for the Realtek Ethernet via CCcleaner. The things started working. I do not know how things got screwed up, but it probably happened whil I was using the VCS to run Win10. I am VERY careful about what I do to the network settings while I am running Win10. I told the VCS Support Team about what happened to me and was told there soon will be an update that will fix this problem. Good luck...