IGNORED

Doodling on the Odyssey²

atari2600land

I just thought I'd share my "doodling" with the Odyssey² I've done. Sometimes I make small programs that never make it past the "doodle" stage. This one involves hamburgers shooting UFOs resembling twirling bars. I may have little people to save down at the bottom, like in Defender, except this will be a fixed screen game if I decide to keep working on it.

burgers4.png.3b6def470a674e9d74ad9e01502251b7.png

To keep in line with how weird it is to have burgers that fly, each enemy will be worth 47 points. I have decided to officially give up on the basketball game because I was having trouble with some action button code. I'm thinking about having the enemy fly in from off screen and then bounce around the screen, like the ball in level 5 of ZipZap, if I continue.

This is only using one sprite: the top part of the hamburger bun. The rest of the stuff are characters, which I have to make sure they don't overlap. Or perhaps it might be interesting to have them overlap to make a visible explosion.

• Like 5

I changed a whole bunch of stuff since then.

• fries now sprites instead of characters. This really helped. But there's only one sprite left now.
  • redesigned enemy ship. It now looks like a ship instead of a twirling +.
  • enemy can now shoot. Enemy shots can kill you.

Still just a doodle though. I don't know whether or not to make this an actual game.

burgers7b.png.da4c800654e125b6653988efdbc0f1fe.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New changes to my doodle:

• Enemy ship doesn't fire constantly (at the beginning). There is a pause between each shot that gets shorter and shorter with each shot until it (is supposed to) gets to firing constantly.
  • I think I fixed the weird firing issue I had where the ship changes direction sometimes when you begin firing.

Plans (if I can make them happen):

• Title screen, of course.
  • Have little guys to save down on the ground.

I'm gonna post the ROM of what I have here so you can play with it and tell me what you think. I am wondering if the enemy ship should fire occasional things worth some points (bah's suggestion.) but not forcing the player to get them. And if you're a pirate who wants to put this on a multicart, please don't. It's not even remotely finished yet.

untitled hamburger game (Feb 15, 2022 build).zip

I had a good title screen working, but I put it in my Odyssey² and it wouldn't work. I spent all day trying to make it work, starting over again from what I had last night. And I got it working.

changes:

• Pause at game over to better indicate the game ended.
  • Game now has a title screen, even though it doesn't have a name yet.
  • You can choose which controller to play with. Just press fire on the controller you want to use to start a game with.

burger9.png.df2f6e9621b8b60991d01e7c567c71aa.png

I need to have a short name. I'm thinking about "Burgerama." I have about 500 bytes left.

Update: I put in a game over sound and made it work on a real Odyssey². After a break, I will attempt to put in people to save at the bottom. I don't know if I'll have enough room though. I'm thinking just the little man character, so just imagine this is taking place over a nudist colony.

I spent most of the last 6 hours trying to make it a 4k game. Since it's after 11p.m. here, testing on a real Odyssey2 will have to wait for tomorrow. What I ended up with works on o2em, though. We'll see... I freed up some room making it a 4k game, though. I have about 800 bytes left in the ingame bank now.

• Like 1

As it turned out, it wasn't working on a real Odyssey 2. So I went back to work trying to make it work. I think I did it. Now I must remember to never, EVER change the intro/title screen bank because it took at least 30 minutes just today to try and figure out what goes where to make it work. As a result, the game does not show the grass the first time, but does every other time it's at the title screen. It's a bit odd, but IT WORKS.

• Like 1

While laying in bed trying to sleep, I had an idea: What if I checked if a sound was playing and if it isn't then play it. And if it is and goes on and gets "stuck", shut it off so it doesn't irritate, which it does on the longer sound effect notes for some reason sometimes. I also gave preference to the ship's destroying sound. I'll finalize the sound effects when I'm not sleeping or when I get bored. These sound effects are temporary. I also made them longer and more melodic. What do you think?

burger16a.zip

• Like 1

New version. I tried to make the burger not flicker at all on a real Odyssey². This meant making its maximum height reached lower to the ground, along with some code adding when the enemy gets the guy. I also noticed I cut off the final note of the sfx, so I changed that as well. I also changed the sfx.

burgerama17.zip

• 1 month later...

I made a bunch of progress on this. Level 1 has been finished.

I decided to make levels different rivers. Level 1 is the Mississippi River and there is a turtle to not bump into. When seven enemies go by, they get faster, and after fourteen enemies they go faster still. After twenty, the level ends. Right now it just loops back to the first level.

I want later levels to be different widths.

I made some boxes to get for points. You can now move up, down, and right with the joystick.

canoe7.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to come back to this. I had a heckofa time trying to put in level 2, but eventually it did without acting like a stupid, disobeying moron, at least on O2EM. It's too late for me to test on a real Odyssey². I'm going to sleep now. This is level 2, the Nile. Level 1 was the Mississippi. This river is infested with alligators.

Some more rivers I may put in here include:

• Moon river (with an alien floating in it)
  • Arctic river (I'll have to research and see if I can find a real river name near the Arctic.)
  • River Styx. (With blood-red water,)

I thought about the Amazon, but I only have a limited color palette to choose from.

canoe8.png.0d238c9786b58f5dafcd43fb9586e640.png

• Like 1

I couldn't sleep so I checked it out. This version 8 works fine.

I made it so you only need to pass 1 enemy to get to level 2. A thing with the boxes to note is when the enemy is passed and you're canoeing to the other side of the screen, if you touch a box, you don't get points for it.

I'm also having a question: Does the score display fully on your TV screen? Mine does, but barely.

canoe8.bin