IGNORED

Interactive Fiction Typing Games ?

ATARIeric

anyone here into those interactive fiction games ? (TYPING GAMES) does anyone have them for there 8bits ? ive been playing with a windows version of IF type games

maybe there are discs/carts with those type of games for the atari ?

what do i know

if any games exist for the 800/ 800xl id like to know the names

:)

thanks in advance

eric

Do you mean text adventure games??

Where you type commands to move through a narrative, collecting objects, talking to characters, navigating environments??

If you do then yes the A8 has a HUGE selection from the likes of Adventure International and Infocom - just search any of the A8 software archives...

sTeVE

ahhhhhh hah, when i was 11 in 1979, i couldnt remember what those games where my uncle was trying to turn me onto, all i know at his job, i use to fiddle, couldnt even tell you if it was an atari or apple, and he is no longer with us, so i never had a chance to get familirized, what did i know, i was out riding bike all the time :)

thanks alot, a whole new dimension in my atari gaming :) what a feeling!!

eric

Do you mean text adventure games??

Where you type commands to move through a narrative, collecting objects, talking to characters, navigating environments??

If you do then yes the A8 has a HUGE selection from the likes of Adventure International and Infocom - just search any of the A8 software archives...

sTeVE

the A8 ?

Was there ever written a 8 bit program to design your own Interactive fiction games like the kind written for Infocom? I remember such a program for the Atari ST and my friends and I would create such games, have everyone critique them and then make changes based on the feedback.

It was fun to do that and I learned an appreciation for the amount of work that must have been necessary to program a game like Zork I or Enchanter or a Mind Forever Voyaging.

There were creator programs such as TADS and STAC on the ST that were good.

Inform is probably a good bet for starting with, it has some good documentation and example files plus many user submitted sources in the Interactive Fiction archives. Plus the compiler can be built on numerous platforms and its interpretors run on even more :)

Regards,

Mark

PS: A Mind Forever Voyaging and a few others use a Version 4 interpretor which the A8 doesn't have. It maybe possible to extend the V3 to V4 but the changes might be too much work (e.g. the addressable range has been doubled and so all of the internal pointer work has to changed)

@Dude- AFA 8-bits go, I used a great book back in the day, Jack Hardy's "Adventures w/ the Atari", to make text games. The book has type-in listings for games in PILOT, Atari BASIC & Microsoft BASIC II. The best part was the Creator & Interpreter, used together to build your own text games. You built your game in 5 parts; the longest dealt w/ typing your room/location descriptions, & if your game had 50 locations you had LOTS of typing to do! You could put in monsters, special rooms, & items you could carry.

I still have/just played my games last weekend. If anyone also has their own, I'd be willing to trade & play...

sounds cool,   my game would have alot of pimps and whores with cursin,  

;)

I can see it now....

You are standing at a street corner. There are alot of pimps and whores and cursin. What do you want to do?

>Go North

You are standing at another street corner. There are alot of pimps and whores and cursin. What do you want to do?

-Bry

You arrive at the rundown section of the old warehouse district. There are a lot of baggage people who are keeping their meager possessions in shopping carts. Possible exits are back towards the south, north to a all night drinking bar, and west to a coin operated laundromat that is open 24 hours, 365 days a year. The laundromat appears mostly deserted except for 2 young kids playing Pong and a lady who appears to be their mother close by putting clothes into a dryer.

On the ground in front of you is a electronic book with the friendly words "Don't Panic" clearly visible above the screen. The book appears to be functional although worn out from years of use. There is also a fish bowl with some sort of unique fish swimming inside the bowl.

There is also a towel on the ground with pink polka dots on the floor.

> Your response?