IGNORED

Switch Outsells Wii

MrBeefy

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/452167/nintendo-switch-outsells-wii-worldwide/

It will be interesting to see if it will surpass any more consoles. Whoever said the Switch couldn't catch the Wii must have been looking at some bad data.

Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are top two games sold. According to this Ring Fit is number 10 which I find interesting.

• Like 2

Given their room for error it's likely close either direction, very very impressive as they're still 2mo out from 5 years on the market.  Unlike Wii which had started to peter out, the Switch hasn't slacked and given the lame chip shortages, people getting fed up with various antics, and looking for something different that works basically wherever and whenever, along with just the exclusives it's in a comfortable position to easily threaten the Gameboy/Color soon enough.  Closing around an about 17M gap shouldn't take too long.

I do question their figures as they're calling it an estimate.  Nintendo won't release holiday data as that rolls into their own making a story about it, if not now, when their quarter ends at the end of March.P

The best I can dig up so far is the NPD data for November reported Dec 13th putting them over 92M systems sold but it seems to be a few days short of the usual reporting time for December so who knows.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Given their room for error it's likely close either direction, very very impressive as they're still 2mo out from 5 years on the market.  Unlike Wii which had started to peter out, the Switch hasn't slacked and given the lame chip shortages, people getting fed up with various antics, and looking for something different that works basically wherever and whenever, along with just the exclusives it's in a comfortable position to easily threaten the Gameboy/Color soon enough.  Closing around an about 17M gap shouldn't take too long.

I do question their figures as they're calling it an estimate.  Nintendo won't release holiday data as that rolls into their own making a story about it, if not now, when their quarter ends at the end of March.P

The best I can dig up so far is the NPD data for November reported Dec 13th putting them over 92M systems sold but it seems to be a few days short of the usual reporting time for December so who knows.

Even if it isn't quite yet past the Wii it is really just a matter of time. Other than Europe the console hasn't had a price drop either.

Switch has a long healthy life ahead of it!  I'm sure the next gen Switch, Super Switch, Switch Pro, etc. will be backwards compatible as well.  No point in going head to head with SONY/MS in the small form factor PC box console race.  They have a pretty great niche and large niche right now! 

• Like 3

Not a fan of the Switch, but I think the fact that Nintendo has abandoned the 3DS handheld line has a direct impact to these numbers as well.

They were starting to go the Sega route with multiple hardware offerings (and spreading themselves thin), and the one good thing about the Switch is the fact that is essentially the Home Console and Handheld division all rolled into one.

Edited by Leonard Smith
  • Like 3

I would have to wonder though really how much that is really part of the impact.  I think Animal Crossing all the same would have driven those crazy numbers that it and the system moved for those willing.  I'd argue the chip shortages they've largely dodged played a good impact too because those who couldn't get the more expensive rare to find others due to shortages as much as scalper garbage people helped a good bit.  Can't find that $500 system then buy games for it?  Then get a $200-300 Switch and multiple games for the others cost alone with none.  I think the merit of the unique hardware and games it has really help drive it largely and continues to do so.  Nintendo has this happy valley to live in being a handheld where they don't have to kiss the ring of the 5 year console cycle, and at this rate at a month and a half short of 5 years with no signs of slowing they could run this out for some years yet safely.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, MrBeefy said:

Whoever said the Switch couldn't catch the Wii must have been looking at some bad data.

Nintendo seemed to lose their touch with the Wii U, and tables/phones seemed to make mobile gaming devices redundant.   So I never expected them to have another hit like the Wii again.  

16 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Not really surprised by this given the Switch just might be my favorite Nintendo console of all time. Just barely edging out he SNES though it’s VERY close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It hasn't quite passed SNES to me but it isn't far off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think accessibility is one of the keys to their sales success with the Switch, given the much-mentioned ability to go between TV and portable mode.  We have multiple Switch consoles at the house, something that wasn't really doable or heard of with more traditional consoles.

I'm not sure what my 'favorite' console of all time would be since I spent so much time with all of them.  I do think that probably hour-for-hour I've played my Switches more than any other console.

I probably have more time on the Switch of a modern system in the last 15 years or so, but going back no way I could have more time on a console than on either the NES or SNES really, probably the NES a bit more of the two.  The design of the switch makes it far more accessible to put time on it by the very nature of it.

• Like 2

Switch Outsells Wii  

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**(Ducks, leaves, runs hahahaaa)**

Although I guess for Modern systems it is probably OK.

Seriously, Look at that controller!!!!

Ya know what I like about the Switch controller?

NOTHING.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, MrBeefy said:

Maybe but it happened. I'm surprised it happened with no significant price drop yet.

They (Sony/MS/Nintendo) never do console price drops near the end of system lifespan anymore.  It's full price right up until the last few are sold from shelves in most cases. 

I find the Switch underwhelming to be honest,  we have two of them,  a regular Switch and a Switch Lite.   The Switch Lite is an utter piece of crap that had to be sent in for repairs twice in about two years time.  But the regular switch feels cheaply made,  the controller range is poor, and susceptible to drift.   Ours really only gets used for Animal Crossing,  most third party games play better on PS5

Comparing to ps5 is laughably unfair, it can barely handle properly PS4 stuff that gets the polygon/architecture scaled down enough to fit.  I do agree not on underwhelming, but checkered quality, primarily on the original model v1 and v2.  Utterly flimsy garbage plastic shell that warps cracks and chips in places from heat of all things because it's the same overly thin shit design nvidia used on their tablet (I used to have too.)  My switch fell apart bad enough before it really had failures I sold the tablet for $100, put that towards the OLED model, kept my under year old joycons(red blue) since they were barely used (my original had one die, no drift.)  My kid has a lite, she's beaten it up enough being as she is with stuff annoyingly yet it still works great so perhaps you had bad luck, or hit and miss.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The switch is closing in on the PS4 all time sales numbers. I think with the release of BOTW2 that it will possibly beat the PS2 and become the highest selling console of all time.

Also, if Nintendo is working on a Super Mario Kart 9 and/or Super Mario Odyssey 2 that will certainly be possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 9:17 PM, adamchevy said:

The switch is closing in on the PS4 all time sales numbers. I think with the release of BOTW2 that it will possibly beat the PS2 and become the highest selling console of all time.

Also, if Nintendo is working on a Super Mario Kart 9 and/or Super Mario Odyssey 2 that will certainly be possible.

Isn't it still a super long way off from PS2? How many units did that one sell?

Isn't it still a super long way off from PS2? How many units did that one sell?

PS2 155 million over 13 years 

Switch 102 million in 5 years

It’s definitely a ways off but very possible.

Especially considering the DS product line sold 154 million units. I really hope the Switch sees a good hardware upgrade when this chip shortage nonsense comes to an end.

This isn't going to be an Earth shattering revelation for anyone, but how well it sells in the end compared to the PS2 mostly depends on the Switch 2.

Assuming Nintendo keeps it thriving until the end (Unlike say the Wii), how far off the Switch 2 is down the road will be the primary deciding factor on how close it gets to the PS2. Some are interpreting Mario Kart 8's recently announced DLC plans as a suggestion it won't be until 2024. If by chance they end up right, that gives it a good window of time to close that gap significantly. 

Then of secondary importance is the expense of the Switch 2. If it's a lot more expensive or Nintendo can slash the price of the original while remaining profitable, the original just might get a couple of years of extended life as a budget offering, letting it continue to rack up the numbers for even longer. We haven't seen a lot in that area from Nintendo the last few generations, but their last three consoles had pretty well fizzled out before their replacement had even appeared.

This will be their first system in the console world that presumably is still thriving when the replacement appears since the Super Nintendo. Will be interesting to see if Nintendo takes advantage of it as a budget system or pretty much exclusively pushes the Switch 2.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

This isn't going to be an Earth shattering revelation for anyone, but how well it sells in the end compared to the PS2 mostly depends on the Switch 2.

Assuming Nintendo keeps it thriving until the end (Unlike say the Wii), how far off the Switch 2 is down the road will be the primary deciding factor on how close it gets to the PS2. Some are interpreting Mario Kart 8's recently announced DLC plans as a suggestion it won't be until 2024. If by chance they end up right, that gives it a good window of time to close that gap significantly. 

Then of secondary importance is the expense of the Switch 2. If it's a lot more expensive or Nintendo can slash the price of the original while remaining profitable, the original just might get a couple of years of extended life as a budget offering, letting it continue to rack up the numbers for even longer. We haven't seen a lot in that area from Nintendo the last few generations, but their last three consoles had pretty well fizzled out before their replacement had even appeared.

This will be their first system in the console world that presumably is still thriving when the replacement appears since the Super Nintendo. Will be interesting to see if Nintendo takes advantage of it as a budget system or pretty much exclusively pushes the Switch 2.

I’m going to bet that Nintendo strings the Switch Oled along for another 2-3 years and will continue to sell it as long as it’s still being purchased at a decent rate.

Nintendo will probably update it the same way they did the 3DS with incremental improvements every other year.

Nintendo likes to create new and interesting ways to experience technology so I would bet they have something entirely original for the Switch 2. But I also think they remember the Wii U’s failure and will be careful with their branding this time. They don’t want parents thinking we already have a Switch why do we need another one?
  • Like 1