IGNORED

Midnight Magic - Understanding the Rules and Scoring

Leonard Smith

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this has been discussed previously.  I did a noob search using various terms (Midnight Magic + Strategy / Guide / etc) and really couldn't find what I was looking for.

Midnight Magic is a recent favorite of mine, but some parts of it are a mystery as far as the ruleset and scoring are concerned.  
The manual included with the game is very basic and not of much use.  I've watched a few Youtube vids, but those aren't helpful either since it's either a long play or a self proclaimed retro gaming 'expert' who jibber jabbers about nothing of use.

I understand how the core game works.  Hit the colored drop targets at the top to increase multiplier, reach 1 million and the score rolls over, etc.  

(1.) 3 Middle Bumpers -What do the colors of the 3 bumpers signify?  They change color as you hit targets, but what does this mean?

(2.) Arrow -  What does the little arrow at the top of the screen do?  It cycles around, but I don't understand the significance.

(3.) Extra ball - the mechanism seems to be tied to successfully hitting the two loops at the top left and right...but what are the conditions to ensure that you get the extra ball?  Do you hit them in sequence (first left and then right?)

Are there any other rules and features that I'm missing here?  I enjoy the game as it is and seem to encounter extra balls and multiplier increases through normal gameplay, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge since it's a very deep (for the 2600) pinball simulation.

• Like 1

The High Score Club has played it a few times. You might find some of what you're looking for in those threads.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/55456-high-score-club-week-19-midnight-magic/

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/217154-the-new-high-score-club-s2-~-week-21-~-midnight-magic/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

The High Score Club has played it a few times. You might find some of what you're looking for in those threads.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/55456-high-score-club-week-19-midnight-magic/

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/217154-the-new-high-score-club-s2-~-week-21-~-midnight-magic/

Thanks sir.
The only item I'm really unclear on at this point is what the purpose of the 3 middle bumpers changing colors is.  

One of my favourite games for the 2600. My attitude towards most pinball games is to earn points by keeping the ball bouncing around. I don't give it much thought about how everything works. Or at least I just figure things out as I go.

For me it's all about my personal high score.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

One of my favourite games for the 2600. My attitude towards most pinball games is to earn points by keeping the ball bouncing around. I don't give it much thought about how everything works. Or at least I just figure things out as I go.

For me it's all about my personal high score.

Agreed.  
It plays surprisingly well and I feel like it doesn't get as much credit considering the platform.

That being said, I realized what the arrow does (at the top screen with the drop targets)...hitting the drop target with the arrow pointing at it, activates all 3 bumper lights.

Still learning new things about this game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

Agreed.  
It plays surprisingly well and I feel like it doesn't get as much credit considering the platform.

That being said, I realized what the arrow does (at the top screen with the drop targets)...hitting the drop target with the arrow pointing at it, activates all 3 bumper lights.

Still learning new things about this game.  

You should make a post explaining everything so if anybody in the future comes looking for answers they can find it all in one place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

....hitting the drop target with the arrow lighting up all the bumpers is in the manual....

;)

It's a good game though! And anyone playing it is a righteous dude!

Can't add anything to that!  Midnight Magic is Bad, OK ...Totally Rad to the Max!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

Wasn't there something like certain positions of the game mode switch would activate something within the game?

Yeah, the difficulty switches will turn off the middle and side ball save barriers.  You have to earn them by hitting the arrow icon at the top bank of rollovers.

This evening I finally got the 5X bonus multiplier and reached a personal high score of 1.2 million!  Yay for me!!