IGNORED

"ATARI AR" a new art project is looking for a master of the homebrew

kid_snz

15 hours ago, KevKelley said:

No problem. I am also a beginner but I've kind of made it a hobby the last couple years to learn and everyone here has been very helpful. I loved the concept of AR art combined with Atari and your game idea sounds like something I'd play around with. Plus the compromises can be fun and help with the creative process. I record music using old software or weird instruments and some of my favorite things came from getting around the limitations. That is why I love the Atari so much.

I was planning on messing around with this again today to see other ways to make it happen. 

Just curious. What do you need to make a AR marker? Can you keep you original design but maybe have a single black sprite located in the corner, like a signature, to make it work? How big does it have to be because you could do a quadruple width sprite however many pixels high to make it work maybe?

I'm glad to hear your story and why you like Atari so much. Based on your saying, since I just started learning batari Basic last December, when I'll be able to work more comfortably, this pandemic might be already over. Btw I really like the story of Mario's creator, where limitations caused Mario to wear a hat, a beard, and overalls :)

Not sure if this answers your question, but any image can be AR markers. In other words, the screenshot of this game will be the AR marker as my painting. And to put a QR code next to the painting, and people will scan it with their phone and open Safari or Chrome. When they point the camera at the painting in their browser, AR will be activated and Javatari will appear.

21 hours ago, Dave C said:

Aaah. Makes sense. I believe Javatari is a requirement here so DPC+ is no bueno.

And I just thought "DPC basically has all the sprites - I just throw some sprites in some DPC sample code, crib some notes from the LawnBoy conversion and there's an easy POC..."

That being said - here's a POC using DPC+

image.thumb.png.82e1d96ecbec11b247dd55f00725cda4.png

pizza-boy.dpc.bas.bin 32 kB · 5 downloads pizza-boy.dpc.bas 18.6 kB · 3 downloads

This is amazing but did not work on Javatari, but the demo that @KevKelley made worked on it with those buildings. Is this useful?

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.55.39 PM.png

Edited by kid_snz

2 hours ago, kid_snz said:

This is amazing but did not work on Javatari, but the demo that @KevKelley made worked on it with those buildings. Is this useful?

Yes since now I'm thinking about would it be just as easy to use the same kernel as @KevKelley but find a way to add more sprites. My demos above used the following kernels but both had flaws:

- DPC+ - high resolution playfield, many sprites (up to 10) but doesn't work with javatari
  -  multisprite  - works with javatari but less resolution and less sprites (up to 6)

1 hour ago, Dave C said:

Yes since now I'm thinking about would it be just as easy to use the same kernel as @KevKelley but find a way to add more sprites. My demos above used the following kernels but both had flaws:

- DPC+ - high resolution playfield, many sprites (up to 10) but doesn't work with javatari
  -  multisprite  - works with javatari but less resolution and less sprites (up to 6)

I will have to upload it in the morning but I made a Superchip Multisprite playfield on lunch yesterday but the only downside was that the ball and missiles are limited to a single pixel and the the screen is mirrored. It kind of retains what I started with and I was playing with settings but I probably screwed up something somewhere because while the playfield is higher resolution, it did something funky on the top of the screen where it made a solid rectangle in the middle and copied some of the playfield from the bottom of the screen to the top. I had kept it only because I thought I could use it for something like a display or something.

1 hour ago, Dave C said:

That makes me wonder @kid_snz were you thinking about sounds (should there be sounds)?

Most of my games have had simple beeps or boops. I am not the best at programming sound in Atari yet. I do love those classic arcade sounds though so I'd imagine a sound would be needed when you pick up the slice, deliver it, and get hit by a car.

In one of my games I liked the idea of hearing the motor of the car but it did get droning so I wanted to figure out a way to make it silent and gradually get louder when you get closer (and quieter when it goes away). I had also tried to make the car honk if you get in front of them. 

I also like the idea of making sounds when a character takes steps but since the pizza delivery is on bike not sure what that would sound like.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:12 PM, kid_snz said:

Hi I'm Shinji, Japanese artist living in New York making contemporary art inspired by 80's classic video games. You can check what I make at followings.
https://murakamishinji.com *better to see on pc

https://www.instagram.com/kid_snz/

Currently I'm working on a new project where people use my paintings as the AR markers to show Javatari on their phone screens and play ATARI games in AR. The prototype which still needs a lot of fixes works like this. Yes Javatari is actually running in it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXKAc9ULWc_/

I tried to make my own original games by learning the many resources here, but as a beginner programmer, I found it very difficult... So I decided to look for a someone has many experiences and interested in working with me.

Awesome Artwork Shinji, looking forward to seeing your creative designs! :)

There is an Artistic BASIC here that you can use to create colorful Art with minimal or no code and write games in as little as 10 lines of code.  There are programming lessons on the site and a French Art book with more details. 

There is also an Atari Art scene Party in Gdansk that is very inspirational. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dave C said:

I went through and fixed the playfield data in my sample program (I didn't realize that when I edited the resolution of the playfield I forgot to increase the size of the playfield). So using SuperChip and Multisprite it gives you a more defined playfield but also more sprites to work with and it should work with Javatari.  As you mention the downside would be less sprites then DPC+.  Another downside would be limiting the height of the missiles and balls to one pixel high.  But I think if spacing the sprites and using NUSIZ copies you can get around the limitations to make a nice look. I spaced the buildings so that you can basically place fullsized sprites in the roads and by the buildings with no flicker.  I used the ball sprite as a pizza box the player sprite can carry with them to keep with no flickering.

I was also playing around with CTRLPF and splitting the colors of the playfield, but that goes even farther from the original art that had nice solid colors. Too bad the Atari can't do three colors across.  It would have been cool to make the Italian flag. I included the .bas if you wanna play around with this.  

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas.png

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas_2.png

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas.bin

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, KevKelley said:

I went through and fixed the playfield data in my sample program (I didn't realize that when I edited the resolution of the playfield I forgot to increase the size of the playfield). So using SuperChip and Multisprite it gives you a more defined playfield but also more sprites to work with and it should work with Javatari.  As you mention the downside would be less sprites then DPC+.  Another downside would be limiting the height of the missiles and balls to one pixel high.  But I think if spacing the sprites and using NUSIZ copies you can get around the limitations to make a nice look. I spaced the buildings so that you can basically place fullsized sprites in the roads and by the buildings with no flicker.  I used the ball sprite as a pizza box the player sprite can carry with them to keep with no flickering.

I was also playing around with CTRLPF and splitting the colors of the playfield, but that goes even farther from the original art that had nice solid colors. Too bad the Atari can't do three colors across.  It would have been cool to make the Italian flag. I included the .bas if you wanna play around with this.  

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas.png

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas_2.png

PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas 5.15 kB · 2 downloads PIZZBOY_2022_01_20.bas.bin 32 kB · 7 downloads

It works with Javatari as you can check the link below! Yes the boy can get the pizza box from the pink place on the bottom.
https://javatari.org/?ROM=https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=909972

The idea of the Italian flag is interesting lol, but I want it to represent a young man hustling in the crowded streets of Manhattan haha.

Of course, I'll play with this and thank your for the .bas file!

7 minutes ago, kid_snz said:

It works with Javatari as you can check the link below! Yes the boy can get the pizza box from the pink place on the bottom.
https://javatari.org/?ROM=https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=909972

The idea of the Italian flag is interesting lol, but I want it to represent a young man hustling in the crowded streets of Manhattan haha.

Of course, I'll play with this and thank your for the .bas file!

There are plenty of New York Italians. I'm one of them despite my name being very Irish! lol

I hope you don't mind if I continue to play around with this idea. I was having fun with this and really love the concept behind it and your art.       

15 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Most of my games have had simple beeps or boops. I am not the best at programming sound in Atari yet. I do love those classic arcade sounds though so I'd imagine a sound would be needed when you pick up the slice, deliver it, and get hit by a car.

In one of my games I liked the idea of hearing the motor of the car but it did get droning so I wanted to figure out a way to make it silent and gradually get louder when you get closer (and quieter when it goes away). I had also tried to make the car honk if you get in front of them. 

I also like the idea of making sounds when a character takes steps but since the pizza delivery is on bike not sure what that would sound like.

I agree with you for at least those three things, pick up the slice, deliver it, and get hit by a car. A yellow cab honk might be really cool and people can feel the atmosphere of the non-stop city. But prob it could be a just simple random sound, like we actually hear in the city, not sure.

I expect bicycle to be in constant motion most of the time, so a small sound might be better.

What I would most like is to play the sound used in Donkey Kong Jr. when, for example, he hits the cab three times and the game is over. I looked it up and it's the beginning of a famous Bach piece, so I don't think there are any copyright issues. I'm attaching them here.

Donkey Kong Jr

J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565

Edited by kid_snz

50 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

There are plenty of New York Italians. I'm one of them despite my name being very Irish! lol

I hope you don't mind if I continue to play around with this idea. I was having fun with this and really love the concept behind it and your art.       

Of course it's 100% fine for you to keep playing around. What I'm more worried about is how I'm going to give it back to you...

Btw, you don't mind if I will post a demo play video on my Instagram? Of course I'll say that it's not something I made, but it's made possible with the help of this community. I will tag you if you don't mind.

Edited by kid_snz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

Awesome Artwork Shinji, looking forward to seeing your creative designs! :)

There is an Artistic BASIC here that you can use to create colorful Art with minimal or no code and write games in as little as 10 lines of code.  There are programming lessons on the site and a French Art book with more details. 

There is also an Atari Art scene Party in Gdansk that is very inspirational. 

Thank you so much for reaching me out!

I've actually found your site (probably from here) before and bookmarked it. It's been very interesting to me, so I was gonna contact you guys at some point.

It's really good to know about the concept of your website and it sounds really cool as I expected. It's perfect for a beginner like me and I'll definitely check it out later.

Can you tell us a bit more about the art scene in Gdansk? Is it Gdansk, Poland? Do you have any links and then I can check?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Most of my bikes squeaked when moving.

Or you can have a puffing sound from an exhausted rider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kid_snz said:

Of course it's 100% fine for you to keep playing around. What I'm more worried about is how I'm going to give it back to you...

Btw, you don't mind if I will post a demo play video on my Instagram? Of course I'll say that it's not something I made, but it's made possible with the help of this community. I will tag you if you don't mind.

Feel free to do whatever you want to do with it.  I am using it as a learning opportunity too. I spent all day trying different things with it. Like they say, "practice makes perfect!" 

I linked to your pages already from my YouTube channel where I usually post little clips from whatever progress I make on a project at any given time.

6 hours ago, kid_snz said:

I was also playing around with CTRLPF and splitting the colors of the playfield

For that flag effect did you use P0/P1 color scheme?

I was playing around with switching the PIZZBOY demo to use repeat instead of reflect. I saw some glitching, the multisprite kernel must be loading PF registers in the order it thinks it needs to load them for reflection.

I played around a bit today as well
   - made a fusion between my last demo and  @KevKelley 's layout with the square-style buildings.
   - added the ability to deliver to buildings (marked by the --- it moves over time)

The virtual collision computations are still a bit off (esp the buildings - you have to hit the marker)

image.thumb.png.283e47b9c5c76462af6b2fa3c69eb889.png

pizza-boy.poc.bas.bin

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kid_snz said:

What I would most like is to play the sound used in Donkey Kong Jr. when, for example, he hits the cab three times and the game is over. I looked it up and it's the beginning of a famous Bach piece, so I don't think there are any copyright issues. I'm attaching them here.

There is actually an online tool that can help with this:

https://www.igorski.nl/apps/slocum-tracker

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kid_snz said:

Can you tell us a bit more about the art scene in Gdansk? Is it Gdansk, Poland? Do you have any links and then I can check?

Yes Gdansk Poland! Here's a link with the history on the scene:  

sillyventure 2k21 - History

Gdansk is such a beautiful City the Silly Venture Festival is a show within a show! :) 

4 hours ago, Dave C said:

I was playing around with switching the PIZZBOY demo to use repeat instead of reflect. I saw some glitching, the multisprite kernel must be loading PF registers in the order it thinks it needs to load them for reflection

@KevKelley

I used the setting where it splits the colors between  P0 and P1. That is why the left is all green but since it is multisprite the right takes the color of whatever sprite is on that plane. It kind of looks neat but I thought weird having one half the same color. I had thought of switching P0 and P1 every frame to make the colors blend but that was too much work and I guess I'd need to keep all the multisprites on their own plane which wouldn't work cause then you'd have buildings change colors as the sprites move up or down.

I am also curious about glitching but my issues were with other things. I tried changing a NUSIZ0 register on a certain variable but it was weirdly inconsistent. Most likely I had some little quirk in my code I overlooked. 

13 hours ago, Dave C said:

There is actually an online tool that can help with this:

https://www.igorski.nl/apps/slocum-tracker

Thank you so much for this tool. I will also try to use them below.

https://alienbill.com/2600/atari-sound-forger/

https://alienbill.com/2600/atari-riff-machine/

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-music-toy.html

13 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

Yes Gdansk Poland! Here's a link with the history on the scene:  

sillyventure 2k21 - History

Gdansk is such a beautiful City the Silly Venture Festival is a show within a show! :) 

Wow it's an amazing show and I really wanna go since I finally became one of those ATARI guys last year.

people in this community may know about this expo I just randomly found recently and I might try this one first since I'm currently in the us. Has anyone ever been to this?

http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/

Btw thank you so much for sharing the info here :)

14 hours ago, Dave C said:

I was playing around with switching the PIZZBOY demo to use repeat instead of reflect. I saw some glitching, the multisprite kernel must be loading PF registers in the order it thinks it needs to load them for reflection.

- made a fusion between my last demo and  @KevKelley 's layout with the square-style buildings.
   - added the ability to deliver to buildings (marked by the --- it moves over time)

The virtual collision computations are still a bit off (esp the buildings - you have to hit the marker)

pizza-boy.poc.bas.bin 16 kB · 5 downloads

15 hours ago, Dave C said:

pizza-boy.poc.bas.bin 16 kB · 5 downloads

I am very excited about your updates every time.

This fusion with @KevKelley is amazing. The boy can carry the pizza, take it to the buildings, and the scores works. To be honest, his demo is with no flickering, but I prefer it to be there. That's because it visually conveys that we're playing an old game and can't wait see in AR. In terms of necessary features left might be the followings maybe? 
- He dies when hit by cabs
- The pretzel makes him invincible for a while

I'll continue to experiment with the map design, and I'll select the sounds for each of them from this link.

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-music-toy.html

As for the game over sound, is there any way to disassemble Donkey Kong Jr and convert the sound data into batari Basic code? It's a simple melody, so I'm sure I can make it myself btw.

I'm wondering if I should aim for something closer to the original design, or if I should take the limitations as a positive thing and try a totally new one, anyway I will keep working on it.

The color scheme will also change a lot, since it needs to be a high contrast AR marker.

Anyway have a great weekend!

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.52.29 PM.png

• Like 1