IGNORED

Adventures of Tron Update

knievel1

30 minutes ago, knievel1 said:

A improvement on the M Network game for the 2600. 

Jumping to get the icons is screwy and the movement could use some improvement. 

Not that I know of. No one has attempted to “fix” it as the E.T. game got a fix. As an AtariAge HSC expert at this game, I can say that the collection of the bits and riding the solar-sail is just a matter of coming in contact with them at the apex of your jump. With a little practice at this on the beginning levels, you can get it down pat.

I don’t think a disassembly exists for it, so modifying the code to allow easier bit collection might take a little work. You would likely need to pause the game in Stella (or set a conditional break on the RAM location that contains the score), and determine how the game determines you hit the other object.

http://www.bjars.com/disassemblies.html

• 3 weeks later...

They're about equal to me. Deadly Discs is deceptively simple-looking. As in a lot of great games, already-familiar elements are combined in such a way that the overall experience winds up being very original.

The player's ability to "freeze" the enemy projectiles for a couple seconds upon teleporting, regain a color's worth of strength after clearing a wave, and recall his disc from the air in mid-flight all add depth that isn't immediately apparent.

But I agree with you that Adventures is a solid game. Both are a lot of fun, and even addictive, once you take the time to really get into them and figure out all of the nuances and idiosyncrasies, as with most games on this awesome console.

(Admittedly, I'm such a massive Tron fan that I'll be automatically biased toward any game that includes elements from the movie!)

I don't know if it was anything to do with a promotion, but I bought this game on eBay a couple of years ago primarily because it came with a joystick based on the stick from the arcade cabinet - translucent blue plastic, circular base that the cable winds into when you rotate the stick, and a single trigger instead of the traditional button-on-the-base.

Still haven't actually played the game now my 2600 is back up and running. Should pull it out of the cabinet over the weekend, I guess...