IGNORED

TI-99/4a severe display problems

Stig

I can see this:

E (>45) → U (>55)

A (>41) → Q (>51)

N (>4E) → ^ (>5E)

I (>49) → Y (>59)

In the empty space we have "0 0 0 ..."  which means that at every second position in the Screen Image Table there is a >30 ("0") instead of the >20 for space.

Also, the character definitions have additional dots. The space character looks like 10 00 10 00 10 00 10 00.

It suggests that the 4th bit is stuck at 1: xxx1xxxx, but it is not consistent - "TEXAS" for example is fine on the top line but corrupt on the bottom line, and some characters that should be affected are displayed OK. After it has warmed up for a bit, do you see the exact same screen as above each and every time you reset it?

I'd start by replacing the RAM chip labelled "3" in the photo on the link above and see what you're left with.

TEXAS is correct on the top line because every second character is changed, but only if the bit is not already set. That is, characters >50 - >5F will not change, while >40 - >4F will turn to >50 - >5F *if* they are on the affected columns.

So on the top line we have (T)E(X)A(S) → TEXAS

and on the bottom line we have T(E)X(A)S → TUXQS

• Like 1