IGNORED

What launch games were offered for the Atari 400 when it came out?

swlovinist

Don't take the Gamebase lists too seriously, while the creators try and get all the details correct they are done in a person's spare time and often go for content over data. That isn't me bemoaning them, heaven know's I love a gamebase and have been involved in a small way with the original Atari 8 bit one and others. These people work damn hard on them, but the collating of them is really time-consuming, so you will see the odd mistake or missing entry for say the programmer or company or in this case, year.

Also, researching dates etc via the internet often leads to confusion with websites offering different details...It's not fun doing a gamebase at times :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

On 1/18/2022 at 1:59 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

Also, the Sears games were the first third-party programs. 

Sears was pretty much a reseller, right? I wasn't aware that they actually put out any software. I was surprised to see that they actually published a number of titles.

Edited by bfollowell

43 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Sears was pretty much a reseller, right? I wasn't aware that they actually put out any software. I was surprised to see that they actually published a number of titles.

Yes, all of the titles were developed by The Image Producers / Image Computer Products. Check this interview from 33:28 to 47:35, it's a great listen:

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:42 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Don't take the Gamebase lists too seriously, while the creators try and get all the details correct they are done in a person's spare time and often go for content over data. That isn't me bemoaning them, heaven know's I love a gamebase and have been involved in a small way with the original Atari 8 bit one and others. These people work damn hard on them, but the collating of them is really time-consuming, so you will see the odd mistake or missing entry for say the programmer or company or in this case, year.

Also, researching dates etc via the internet often leads to confusion with websites offering different details...It's not fun doing a gamebase at times :)

I'm well aware of how hard the task is - I've spent many years working on similar projects. I'm currently building an Apple collection and often it did take me hours at a time to try and figure out the year for just one game, often with no decisive result. It's actually quite fun though, if you like digging through gaming history.

I consider the release year one of the most crucial data entries (if not the most important one) so if it was up to me it would take precedence over some other stuff. Wish there was more hours in the day and I could help review some Gamebases (and other sources, none of them are infallible -eg Mobygames), since they are my favourite collections.