IGNORED

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard in $67 billion deal

Albert

Looks like Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/18/22889258/microsoft-activision-blizzard-xbox-acquisition-call-of-duty-overwatch

Here's the official press release:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

This will certainly bolster their Xbox Game Pass, which is already quite good. And Microsoft now owns Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, among other interesting things.  Doesn't look like they are kicking Kotick to the curb right away, but I doubt he'll last long.

..Al

• Like 4

To be honest when I saw this it took a moment for me to register this as real. Could they really be making another huge acquisition after the Bethesda deal less than a year ago? The answer was yes, I suppose.

Putting my feelings about Kotick and the company's culture aside, frankly I'm pretty indifferent since I don't play any Activision games beyond their 2600 library. I feel like most of their major titles are going to remain multiplatform, like Minecraft.

It seems like the deal isn't going to close until June 2023, and Activision will remain independent until then. I'm in full agreement that they need to get Kotick out of there as soon as they can, though even with him gone it's going to take a lot to address the major issues with the company.

12 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

Well, they may be able to make World of Warcraft fun again with a new direction. Eh, I'd like a consolized version to play on my 4k 65" TV.

I was joking about this with a coworker today. :)  I starting playing in Burning Crusade and left around Legion, I think it was.

5 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I was joking about this with a coworker today. :)  I starting playing in Burning Crusade and left around Legion, I think it was.

I still play it, but I'm not liking the latest expansion, even though I loved the story leading to it. Some of the best cinematic made. 

I just made a new toon this weekend and I'll try again to go through it. There's already a leak of the next xpac which is supposed to lead to a reset of the world of Azeroth.

• Like 1

Let's hope Microsoft is interested in giving the world a new Activision Anthology.

At least one can dream. Activision's current fare holds little interest to me personally, but I'd love to see the corporate winds shift where they'd again bring out a collection of some of their past glories.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 6

Huge for Microsoft.  Unlike Bethesda, ActiBlizzard has 400 million players (GamePass is great but only has 25 million subscribers).  They bought this for the content and the customers and this could really make GamePass explode.

I heard some interesting commentary from Bloomberg talking about how they were surprised that something like this hadn't happened sooner.  If you follow the trends, the entertainment money comes with lots of varied content (Netflix, HBO, Disney+) and video games may have simply been a bit late to see the content consolidate around a few distributors.  

Once the AntiTrust aspect gets worked out, I would expect for Amazon, Sony, Apple or even Netflix to make a move on Electronic Arts.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Creating monopoly power is never good for the consumer. Especially with Gamepass and the death of physical media.

The Anti-Trust aspect will be examined for sure on this deal.  I also wonder if EA will reconsider the close relationship between GamePass and EA Play . . .

This deal has all kinds of things that make you think.  Apparently, Nintendo is "only" valued at somewhere around $70B - makes you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just because you have the money, doesn't mean that everything is for sale.

Or well, if you have INSANE amounts of money, perhaps it is. Now if Nintendo is valued at $70B, I don't know how many X that value someone would have to cough up to convince the owners to make it shift hands. $200B? $350B? $500B?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

Huge for Microsoft.  Unlike Bethesda, ActiBlizzard has 400 million players (GamePass is great but only has 25 million subscribers).  They bought this for the content and the customers and this could really make GamePass explode.

I heard some interesting commentary from Bloomberg talking about how they were surprised that something like this hadn't happened sooner.  If you follow the trends, the entertainment money comes with lots of varied content (Netflix, HBO, Disney+) and video games may have simply been a bit late to see the content consolidate around a few distributors.  

Once the AntiTrust aspect gets worked out, I would expect for Amazon, Sony, Apple or even Netflix to make a move on Electronic Arts.

I think this is the play they're making. Huge stable of content, long tail of service-subscriptions to dribble it out to customers. Games and entertainment have changed a lot and buying a disc to play a game hasn't exactly worked in the old record-store way for a while now. 

Hopefully there will still be plenty of room for smaller studios to innovate and create, despite this consolidation. 

Also, Candy Crush and World of Warcraft under the same roof! What could POSSIBLY go wrong. 

• Like 3