IGNORED

Atari 2600 Made Out Of Lego

zzip

This site has a lot of great Lego retro consoles (2600, Intellivision, Coleco, NES) with downloadable piece listings and assembly instructions:

https://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_technology.html

We bought all the pieces from various Lego resellers online and constructed the Atari 2600 kit during a ZPH stream! You can see the time lapse video here:

- James

• Like 4

On 1/19/2022 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How much "real" Lego is it and how much specially tailored parts does it use?

Thomas, this is website where people post their projects to be considered for possible actual sets to be made. Quite a few projects from the Ideas site have turned into actual sets you could buy. In order for the sets to even be considered, they have to consist entirely of actual current Lego bricks and parts that exist currently that can be made into sets. In fact, the renders and photos you sometimes see for these possible submitions are done using Lego only bricks and parts. 

The point here is that everything in the proposed project would be actual Lego bricks/parts if it should ever get that far to become a set that could be purchased. 

Other projects that were originally submitted designs on the Ideas website are things like the Back to the Future Delorean (Although it was stripped down to a much more basic set on the final design that Lego released), the Saturn V rocket, The Beatles Yellow Submarine and many many more. So yeah, if a set like this was to get enough votes and support to make it to the Lego review board and they in turn agree it would make a great set to be marketed, then it could very much be a real thing to buy. There are other things to keep in mind as Lego would have to seek licensing and get approval from the current Atari and the models are always redone in the final form to be simplified as much as possible in construction and least piece requirements. But I would very likely pick up one of these if they were released as I already have the Chris McVeigh designs as well and this would be another I would have to have!

The Lego NES is pretty cool.  I saw it earlier this year in the Mall of America.  I didn't pick it up because I never was into the NES, but immediately wondered if someone might try to kick-off a 2600.  Glad they have.  Currently at 287 288 supporters.? 

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

The Lego NES is pretty cool.  I saw it earlier this year in the Mall of America.  I didn't pick it up because I never was into the NES, but immediately wondered if someone might try to kick-off a 2600.  Glad they have.  Currently at 287 supporters.? 

I actually didn't get the NES one because I'm more interested in the console model more than the extra TV and SMB game screen they added to it. Sure it is an excellent set but it would have been a more cost effective set that I wold likely have been more likely buy if it was just the NES console itself and not the TV as well. That, and the fact that I already made up Chris McVeigh's NES model is another reason I didn't jump on that one as like you, I haven't as much nostalgia for the NES as I do my Atari and Sega consoles.

@-^CrossBow^-Thanks! The Lego pieces catalog must have evolved massively since I played with it more than 40 years ago.

About the last thing I created back then was this little sports car I am still keeping (and yes, it is quite dusty). :) CarFront.thumb.jpg.10e682476c6a420a0b4c51163c9ca291.jpgCarBack.thumb.jpg.868404f21079f815b31663a715e0b712.jpg

As you can see, all standard Lego pieces from back then.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 5

On 1/19/2022 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How much "real" Lego is it and how much specially tailored parts does it use?

This is what bothers me about LEGO these days...I might be a grumpy old man but seems like less and less bricks and more "specially tailored" parts. Pretty soon they should just sell model kits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I actually didn't get the NES one because I'm more interested in the console model more than the extra TV and SMB game screen they added to it.

Couldn't agree more.  I wasn't about to spend hundreds of dollars on a Lego set.  This is what I like about the 2600, just the console, joysticks and a cart.  Good enough for me.?

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@-^CrossBow^-Thanks! The Lego pieces catalog must have evolved massively since I played with it more than 40 years ago.

About the last thing I created back then was this little sports car I am still keeping (and yes, it is quite dusty). :) CarFront.thumb.jpg.10e682476c6a420a0b4c51163c9ca291.jpgCarBack.thumb.jpg.868404f21079f815b31663a715e0b712.jpg

Love it!  Looks like the cars I would make with my Legos.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks. IIRC the "design" was inspired by the Lancia Stratos and the 1981 Toyota Celica Supra (you cannot see the lights below the front bumper).

I certainly see the Supra influence.  I always liked that car.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks. IIRC the "design" was inspired by the Lancia Stratos and the 1981 Toyota Celica Supra (you cannot see the lights below the front bumper).

As others have stated, that looks great and more in line with what we made as kids too (using available stock legos).

I'm more impressed with your car than I am with these console reproductions (especially their weird size aspect ratios, lol)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

This is what bothers me about LEGO these days...I might be a grumpy old man but seems like less and less bricks and more "specially tailored" parts. Pretty soon they should just sell model kits.

That isn't too far off the mark these days with them. I consider their Idea sets and more advanced sets really as models vs toys like I played with in the 70s and 80s. But... it is all still Lego high quality through and through. My main issue is their switch to using stickers instead of silkscreening graphics as they did back in the earlier days. Not all sets they do this, but quite a few of the Idea sets use stickers...

56 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Lego seemed to be going that direction in the 90s, having sets with large specialty parts.    These days they seem to have backed away from that somewhat.   I suppose it depends on what sets you buy though.   The more adult have mostly small parts and few special parts and can be time consuming to build.   As opposed to a kids set with special parts that can be put together in 20 min.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That isn't too far off the mark these days with them. I consider their Idea sets and more advanced sets really as models vs toys like I played with in the 70s and 80s. But... it is all still Lego high quality through and through. My main issue is their switch to using stickers instead of silkscreening graphics as they did back in the earlier days. Not all sets they do this, but quite a few of the Idea sets use stickers...

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Lego seemed to be going that direction in the 90s, having sets with large specialty parts.    These days they seem to have backed away from that somewhat.   I suppose it depends on what sets you buy though.   The more adult have mostly small parts and few special parts and can be time consuming to build.   As opposed to a kids set with special parts that can be put together in 20 min.

Yeah, I haven't bought a LEGO set for myself in quite some time. Was tempted by the Voltron set but at $375 it was just too much for something I "kinda" liked lol.

I have bought a lot of sets for my kids though (LEGO Friends/etc) and yeah, some of the sets definitely fit that description "kids set with special parts that can be put together in 20 min" some are a little more complex but the special parts run heavy...almost reminds me of the snap together Gundam model I bought recently :)