IGNORED

Quick question on Wii remote pairing

ClassicGMR

I'm going to have to look into it. I don't know if I can "unpair" the remotes as I haven't looked too far into the menus yet. Was just hoping someone already had this happen and knew what to do because Google isn't my friend on this particular question. :)

Looks like I have to dig! :)

On 1/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, ClassicGMR said:

I'm going to have to look into it. I don't know if I can "unpair" the remotes as I haven't looked too far into the menus yet. Was just hoping someone already had this happen and knew what to do because Google isn't my friend on this particular question. :)

Looks like I have to dig! :)

Why do you want to change the pairing order/sequence, though?

Whichever remote you use first (or use to turn on the Wii) will be controller #1 for that gaming session. I can't think of any situation in which it matters which unit you "paired" to the system first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

I did find the answer to this. When the Wii is booted to the initial Legal screen (the one where you press A to continue) you hold the sync button on the console for 15+ seconds. It clears all pairings.

Ah -- I vaguely remember that.

Still confused though -- does the Wii sometimes default to incorrect sequencing for paired controllers, or did you just want to remove one controller from the paired units?

(I feel like there might also be a way to do this on the "Controller Menu" you can access from the Wii menu using the HOME button, but I'm not sure -- it's been a while since I've fooled with them.)

I didn't find anything in the menus and Google was no help. The only support that Nintendo offered was to unpair everything then pair again. That worked and it wasn't really a pain now that I know.

My reasoning was:

- I got a Wii and authentic WiiMote and Nunchuck (over a year and a half ago!)

- I set up everything with jailbreaking and pairing the only controller I had.

- I decided I wanted a 2nd controller for 2 player gaming - especially for the kids - so I bought a $9 knockoff from Amazon.

- I THEN decided to get a Guitar Hero guitar but I wanted the knockoff to be the permanent controller in the guitar and keep the authentic controller set for regular use.

That's what started all this. ?

I have paid attention multiple times since you mentioned it though - when starting up the Wii my controllers stay the number they were paired no matter which one I use to start the console. I can turn it on with #2 and play through a session without ever turning on #1 and they stay numbered that way. I personally haven't seen it yet but I will keep an eye out.

Edited by ClassicGMR

On 1/30/2022 at 10:36 AM, ClassicGMR said:

I have paid attention multiple times since you mentioned it though - when starting up the Wii my controllers stay the number they were paired no matter which one I use to start the console. I can turn it on with #2 and play through a session without ever turning on #1 and they stay numbered that way. I personally haven't seen it yet but I will keep an eye out.

That's weird... if you only use a single controller, it should be synced as controller 1.  I'm puzzled as to how it's persisting that way...