IGNORED

Breakout: Recharged (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

1 hour ago, SabertoothRetro said:

The game is finally up in the store!

If you are using the Classic Controller, first go into the control settings and make sure Mouse Control is toggled off and Rotation is toggled on. It looks like the Classic is wired only (for me).  Otherwise, works just as hoped.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!  Should have a chance to buy and give it a go this afternoon. So are you saying that by default for this game on the VCS, Mouse Control is toggled "on" and Rotation is toggled "off?" Because that would seem super silly on the dev's part...The Classic Control only works when plugged in? Why would that be?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!  Should have a chance to buy and give it a go this afternoon. So are you saying that by default for this game on the VCS, Mouse Control is toggled "on" and Rotation is toggled "off?" Because that would seem super silly on the dev's part...The Classic Control only works when plugged in? Why would that be?

Yes, the issue and solution was shared by Atari's Moderator on the Recharged Series Discord. They are apparently working on a fix for the default settings.

In terms of Bluetooth not working, this is my experience. Others have said theirs is working OK. Just another day in VCS land.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Breakout: Recharged wasn’t in the Atari VCS store last night. ? I haven’t been able to check again since last evening, but what I am reading here and there online, is stating the game has not appeared on the VCS store yet.

The game is up in the store now. Someone dropped the ball at Atari.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've just scored 4420 in classic Recharged mode ?

The rotary mode with the classic controller is OK in Bluetooth mode for me. Disable the mouse option. When you start your engine, don't forget to connect first the classic controller before the modern controller ! Or quit the game turn off the modern and relaunch the game. 

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I first installed the game, neither the VCS Classic nor the VCS Modern controller worked to move
the paddle in the game; only the menus. I was baffled. I tried with and without the USB cable.

I checked that Centipede, Black Widow, and Missile Command ran OK. They did.
I went back to the Breakout game, and it worked, but still not with the spinner on the Classic Joystick,
but I found that option in the menu, and from there on, it worked fine. The mouse option should be off.

As a Linux sysadmin and programmer, the behaviour makes no sense to me since each game is isolated,
but these "quirks" with the Recharged games are unique to the games from that team, MC:R onwards.

I reported my problems also, and I hope after the long-delayed VCS AtariOS update, more updates to
the games themselves will enable the mouse in the other games, and maybe add Classic gameplay too.

The Classic and Classic:Recharged modes of the game are a tremendous advantage over previous ones
and I really would love that there would be a retro-fit of the Classic/Classic:Recharged for the others...

• Like 3

i am so glad atari added a classic mode with 2 options, with power ups and without.

funny, they made it an entire option screen, instead of just letting you check and uncheck the option box.

still, glad to see this game making it out.

it's not as good as off the wall, but its at least as good as arkanoid.

some of the original power ups are pretty cool, and having some shoot at you makes it harder.

i like the progressive moving bricks too.

i don't like the recoil of the paddle, and i don't like the physics. the original had a few fixed angles,

where you could predict where your shots go.

here its way too variable, even if you don't move.

later

• Like 1

The rotary works OK. It's responsive but doesn't seem quite tuned for this aspect ratio. Getting across the screen takes more than a full rotation which feels awkward. It should be 1/2 or 3/4 rotation from one side to the other. Would be perfect in 4:3. A sensitivity adjustment like in VCS Vault or Thrustlander could help a lot.

Still super fun!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

The rotary works OK. It's responsive but doesn't seem quite tuned for this aspect ratio. Getting across the screen takes more than a full rotation which feels awkward. It should be 1/2 or 3/4 rotation from one side to the other. Would be perfect in 4:3. A sensitivity adjustment like in VCS Vault or Thrustlander could help a lot.

Still super fun!

I hope that they can add that.   It seems like a basic thing that is necessary to play this too.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Still super fun!

Yeah, it is a bit disappointing at the moment due to a lack of sensitivity control, but presumably that can be added and everything'll be great with the Classic twist. Currently, using the mouse doesn't work well on the VCS and causes stuttering and lag, but that too should be fixed in the near future. I was getting higher scores with the mouse than the twist pretty consistently, though. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Yeah, it is a bit disappointing at the moment due to a lack of sensitivity control, but presumably that can be added and everything'll be great with the Classic twist. Currently, using the mouse doesn't work well on the VCS and causes stuttering and lag, but that too should be fixed in the near future. I was getting higher scores with the mouse than the twist pretty consistently, though. 

I am really looking forward to your review of Breakout: Recharged on Youtube. Your reviews have really helped me in purchasing games for the VCS.

• Like 1