IGNORED

5200 Trackball Issue

gbag

Hi Atariage electronics experts....I ordered an atari 5200 trackball...I oiled the bearings...ball rolls welll....when I try to play missile command...the cursor can move up and down fine....but it will ONLY MOVE TO  THE RIGHT....and it can not move left...any ideas on how to fix?

15 hours ago, gbag said:

Hi Atariage electronics experts....I ordered an atari 5200 trackball...I oiled the bearings...ball rolls welll....when I try to play missile command...the cursor can move up and down fine....but it will ONLY MOVE TO  THE RIGHT....and it can not move left...any ideas on how to fix?

It could be mechanical. You can operate these controllers with the top removed so it would be easy to see if the encoder wheel is actually rotating when spinning the ball to the left. You likely played around with this while messing with the bearings so would probably have noticed this problem.

I suppose there's some small chance that there's lint or something in the channel of the optical encoder that gets dragged into the optical path only when spinning in one direction. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean those encoders up.

Seems likely to be a bad chip. They're socketed so it's generally an easy repair.

I'd say that if the on-screen player token moves smoothly to the right, the optical encoders and LM339 are probably okay.

The d flip flop decodes the spin direction and gates pulses appropriately. I tend to think that if the failure was there, it would move to the right even when rolled left.

I'd be willing to bet on one of the NAND gates (4011b). On the other hand, one of the XOR gates of the 4030b is used to enable movement to the left (inputs tied together to make an inverter). That being so specific, I'd likely start my testing there if I were working on this.

The chips are commonly available and inexpensive. Given the relative cost of product vs shipping, just get replacements for all of the chips if you have to order them online.

Edited by BigO

....and while you're at it, for error-free keypad action that'll last a lifetime, I suggest getting some Best Lifetime Gold 5200 keypads, 2 sets of them, one for each keypad, they each include a numeric keypad, as well as a start/pause/reset cluster, and twin fire buttons (in which are moot point if you're just using the kits for a Trak-Ball), all, with gold contacts. I use Best Lifetime Gold keypad sets on my trak-ball when I restored mine a few months back and believe me they respond much better than the stock keypads ever did.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

....and while you're at it, for error-free keypad action that'll last a lifetime, I suggest getting some Best Lifetime Gold 5200 keypads, 2 sets of them, one for each keypad, they each include a numeric keypad, as well as a start/pause/reset cluster, and twin fire buttons (in which are moot point if you're just using the kits for a Trak-Ball), all, with gold contacts. I use Best Lifetime Gold keypad sets on my trak-ball when I restored mine a few months back and believe me they respond much better than the stock keypads ever did.

I will get started on this repair...I have to figure out all the chips...last time I bought chips I got them from Jameco...also....is it possible to replace the bearings?  Do you know where to find this size bearing?

Thanks for your time and great answers guys...much appreciated.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:51 AM, gbag said:

What happens if you play the game with a regular 5200 controller?

I'm not advocating against doing the repairs you've suggested; they're a good idea.  Just want to know a bit more beforehand.

8 hours ago, gbag said:

I will get started on this repair...I have to figure out all the chips...last time I bought chips I got them from Jameco...also....is it possible to replace the bearings?  Do you know where to find this size bearing?

https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-cx-53-trak-ball-service-kit-bearings-buttons-and-more.html

This is the same kit I used on mine, and recommend it.  I'll also recommend ordering the service tool, which will make your life easier.  As for the optical encoder wheels, your call - inspect and replace if you feel it's necessary, but at under $2 apiece I'd say do them anyway while you're in there.

• Like 1

The only current unobtanium part for the CX-53 Trakball is the Optos themselves. I was lucky enough to purchase a set from an ebay seller like 6 or 7 years ago but haven't been able to find replacements that are compatible for use in the trakballs since. I know in the case of one of my trakball controllers it has to be the optos (Not the encoders...) that is the issue because I swapped out all the chips from a working one to this one and still couldn't get any response from mine. I even replaced the cabling in case that was an issue but nope.

So just something to be aware of. If you only have one direction or rather... axis that works and replacing the logic ICs inside doesn't correct for it, then it is either a cable issue or possibly the opto itself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I never understood why the ball on that black trackball controller was yellow,why not grey? Because that would,ve better line up with black, unless that trackball controller was blue then a yellow ball would,ve fit well to it to indicate that it is ment for kids,also that trackball controller is HUGE,maybe they did this to make sure it’s more confortible to use and to attrackt americans with the believe that “size matters” because atari might have assume that americans would believe that “bigger is better”,BUT yeah am amezed that even the trackball controller from the AVGN didn’t work anymore for one reason or another,was it due dirt,dust,a mechanical failure or a combination of both? mmmm.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, johannesmutlu said:

I never understood why the ball on that black trackball controller was yellow,why not grey?

Because it is a cue ball... So technically it was originally more of an off white or ivory color and they have turned more yellow with age.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 11:23 PM, BIGHMW said:

^^this

I installed four and then repainted my A800 chassis with gold sparkly paint they work marvelously. Surprisingly easy to do... I also kept a couple of potentiometers from defective sticks in case the current ones wear out as well...

Also, most of the "defective" joysticks on eBay are due to the flexcircuit's contacts having oxidized and otherwise work great. Apart from the few that have crinkled start/pause/reset strips due to someone botching a repair, but with the new gold kits it's a moot point.

Edited by CommodoreDecker
  • Like 1