IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Offramps.

Cut him some slack, CyranoJ. He was on track to deliver the ultimate 3D experience for the Jaguar that would prove once and for all that it's more powerful than any other console of that gen.
I'm inclined to believe he created such a powerful 3D 64-bit engine that it generated a vortex and suck him into a different dimension. He's probably still here but we can't see him since we're very limited lifeforms interacting through a 2D forum which cannot do the required math. :(

• Haha 5

OK, OK, since nobody else is available, I will do it. ? Two quick questions first, though:

1. What is this 'Jaguar' everybody's talking about? Is this related to the car or something?
  2. How does creating video games work basically? I assume you create graphics first in a software like Paint, but how does the machine figure out what to do with them?
  • Haha 11

I have to admit it is very eager to work on a 3D engine for the Jaguar. Unfortunately I don't feel very motivated to work on OpenLara, as I have my own game ideas. If there is a way for this project to provide a generic 3D engine for the Jaguar that any developer can use, the I will support it to 100%.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 7

alucardX, thanks for your and admins support, looks like I finally have access to AtariAge forums )

I'll try to make a first iteration of OpenLara Jag port using the RetroArch core (Virtual Jaguar) and cubanismo's jaguar-sdk. Would be great if you guys have some recommendations or "getting started" guide for homebrew devs. I don't expect performance over 5 seconds per frame when running on Motorola, but I will learn how to tame other animals in the zoo.

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, XProger said:

alucardX, thanks for your and admins support, looks like I finally have access to AtariAge forums )

I'll try to make a first iteration of OpenLara Jag port using the RetroArch core (Virtual Jaguar) and cubanismo's jaguar-sdk. Would be great if you guys have some recommendations or "getting started" guide for homebrew devs. I don't expect performance over 5 seconds per frame when running on Motorola, but I will learn how to tame other animals in the zoo.

Start by looking at the demo under jaguar/3d in the jaguar-sdk. That demo already does a lot of the work for a 3D engine on the gpu:

https://github.com/cubanismo/jaguar-sdk/tree/master/jaguar/3d

This demo can also serve as an example how to get started on Jaguar development.

demo.c is the file containing main()

I must warn you that the state of Jaguar emulation is quite poor, I am not sure if any emulator is able to run 3D games well?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, XProger said:

Welcome to the forums! There are many knowledgeable people here that have a lot of Jaguar experience.

• Thanks 2

On 1/20/2022 at 6:54 AM, Gunther said:

Sorry about that, the title was unintentionally click-bait.

At least it prompted a discussion even if it did get a little salty towards the end.

That's okay, seems like your thread might help bring about OpenLara on the Jaguar after all! It's great to see things moving in the right direction in this regard!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, XProger said:

It's awesome to see you doing this, I wish you all the best with it!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Maybe. I'm certainly not saying they abandon anything. But maybe give insight, pointers. Plus they are probably the closest physically to him. Perhaps they can meet at a fest or something.

I'm just joking (kinda, Native would be excellent). 

Hopefully Duranik will see/hear about this thread.

• Like 1

I didn't find jaguar-sdk compatible with Windows, so I use the docker image under Linux + Virtual Jaguar as an emulator.

Also I can't find a compatible C++ compiler, when I try to build any cpp, it says

m68k-aout-gcc: main.cpp: C++ compiler not installed on this system

There is any solution other than rewriting all code in C?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, XProger said:

I didn't find jaguar-sdk compatible with Windows, so I use the docker image under Linux + Virtual Jaguar as an emulator.

Also I can't find a compatible C++ compiler, when I try to build any cpp, it says

m68k-aout-gcc: main.cpp: C++ compiler not installed on this system

There is any solution other than rewriting all code in C?

http://gnutoolchains.com/m68k-elf/

• Like 1