IGNORED

SMS- error when inserting Hang On/Safari Hunt cart in SMS with them built in.

seastalker

After getting a SMS back in the collection (USA, NTSC) that is supposed to have Hang On/Safari Hunt [and Snail Maze] built in, at first I had no picture. I momentarilly thought there was a version where the games came packed in on a cart, but I was sure the lack of the Sega boot up logo and ability to do the snail game were baked in on all models. Too excited to wait, I had a Hang On /Safari Hunt cart on the way to at least make my experience feel more 'complete'.

I found out my fatigue didn't notice I was just on the wrong video input on the tv... duh.  All worked great.

Still when the cart arrived, I wondered what would happen if I loaded the cart on a system that already had them built in.  I got a software error black screen message (similar when I try to load up some bios varient in FPGA cores). I'm still left uncertain if that means I got a bad Hang On Safari Hunt cart or if this is a known incombatibility with my bios.  If I ever sell the cart, obviously I'd prefer to know prior to doing so to ensure an informed condition or if I need to repair the cart first. I only like fair and honost transactions.

Anyone know this tech issue?

On 1/20/2022 at 12:40 PM, seastalker said:

Anyone know this tech issue?

That's an interesting question. I never thought of what would happen in that case! I don't know the answer, but I would suggest you ask in the forums at smspower.org because there is a very technically-advanced community there who either already know the answer, or would love to troubleshoot it and figure it out!

• 2 weeks later...

I would venture to guess your card is just dirty or the cartridge connector. Clean the cart with some isoprop and a q-tip and the console connector with some sort of cart slot cleaning solution (I use a card with a cleaning cloth wrapped around it doused in isoprop).

Software error screen comes up when a game is inserted that cannot be read....has nothing to do with the game(s) pre-loaded in ROM. A game cartridge inserted overrides it...provided it is clean and working :)

Edited by eightbit

My jourmey with this topic is now complete. I now have two carts- the one mentioned and a flash cart (neither being read). I remembered I had an unused SMS adapter still in the box of my Analogue MegaSG, and both carts ran on it. My SMS was suffering from the common condition of carts not being read. Some youtube videos later, I re-opened my SMS, reflowed all solder points on the bottom of the the motherboard for the cart port, card port, and both controller ports for good measure.  All work great now!  I know the card port works because though I have no physical games for it anymore, the 3d adapter works. The 3d games were my main focus for even having SMS redundancy ( I have a Genesis v1, MiST, MiSTer, MegaSG, MegaSD, etc.)

...oh, and to answer the thread topic question, if you put a working Hang On/Safari Hunt cart in a SMS that has those two games built in, it plays the cart normally; that is, the same blue screen with the choice to select either game shows. It looks identical to the built-in version, though running from the cart instead of the built in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, seastalker said:

My SMS was suffering from the common condition of carts not being read.

I am glad you got it sorted, but I have to say that this is not a "common condition". I am a Sega Master System life longer so to speak. I have owned one since I purchased it brand new at Trader Horn in 1986 and have owned it as well as handled dozens of SMS consoles since. Never have I had an issue with reading carts or cards that was nothing more than dirty contacts. I never had to reflow any cart port solder joints. I guess someone was really slamming SMS carts into yours just like those crazy kids did in the old commercials! ;)

Edited by eightbit

Ha! Yes on those fantastic commercials!  Back then, advertising REALLY worked on me... 'Wait til they see Phantasy Star!" I loved my SMS I got for Christmas around 87-88. Never had problems with it until it got destroyed during a move. This SMS now is my first since then. I should rephrase my prior wording- when searching for the fix for my SMS cart reading issue, more than one Youtuber stated that this is a common problem, and I may be speaking out of turn by repeating their reports. I presume they have done this repair more than once to conclude this. Still, I don't think anyone is alleging any design flaw- just an observation of age-related wear; just as lasers and disc rot weren't problems back in the day but they might be now. I do stand by that IF anyone has this same problem (be it rare or common), try reflowing all the joints on the cart/card/controllers ' joints. It will likely fix the issue.

• Like 1

I remember seeing these commercials as a kid while having sleepovers with my best friend at the time. My life back then consisted of three things (not in any order of preference of course):

1. G.I. Joe

2. Transformers

3. Sega Master System

There were a lot of kids in school who had the NES of course and some who had both the SMS and NES. But for me and a few of my friends we were all about the SMS exclusively. I always hear how the system was so rare/niche in the USA, but here in New Jersey it was everywhere. I purchased mine at Trader Horn, but they were sold at TRU, Child World, Kay-Bee...other places. Games were everywhere too.

I adore this system. I have one still hooked up right behind me as I type ;)

• Like 1

I also had a few friends who had the SMS so between us we strategized about which games to get so we could trade and borrow them! We enjoyed debating with the NES kids as to which system was better, but it was usually a good-natured debate and we would also borrow each others' consoles for a week or so at a time. As for maintenance on my original SMS over the years, the only thing I've had to do is re-tension the cartridge port once.

• Like 1