Looking for some details on launch titles if anyone has them. Most of the information I already have is from box scans from atarimania.

When the Atari VCS launched, nine launch titles were also released in gatefold boxes, the ones that open in the front like a book. The carts also have numbers on the end labels. Combat was the title bundled with the system, and it was packed inside its gatefold box. When I first started researching I assumed that all gatefold boxes were only released once, and that all subsequent releases of the titles would have been the traditional coloured box style. After digging, I realised that four of the nine releases have multiple gatefold variations. Now I have several questions that maybe you can help with.

Was Combat also sold separately? If it was bundled with every system, it seems like there would be no poin

Indy 500 could be purchased with or without racing controllers. If bought with controllers, the gatefold and controllers were packaged in a larger outer box. Indy 500 had two colour variations of orange and red. Were one of these specific for the controller package? 

Anyone with further information, especially dates, or even any details on gatefolds and launch, would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Looking for some details on launch titles if anyone has them. Most of the information I already have is from box scans from atarimania.

When the Atari VCS launched, nine launch titles were also released in gatefold boxes, the ones that open in the front like a book. The carts also have numbers on the end labels. Combat was the title bundled with the system, and it was packed inside its gatefold box. When I first started researching I assumed that all gatefold boxes were only released once, and that all subsequent releases of the titles would have been the traditional coloured box style. After digging, I realised that four of the nine releases have multiple gatefold variations. Now I have several questions that maybe you can help with.

Was Combat also sold separately? If it was bundled with every system, it seems like there would be no point.

If Combat was not sold separately, then why then are there multiple gatefold box variations? Some are a darker red, some have vertical slits for instructions while others have diagonal pockets (haven't seen any other gatefolds like this yet... Have you?) It would be cool to know what variation came with your system.

Indy 500 could be purchased with or without racing controllers. If bought with controllers, the gatefold and controllers were packaged in a larger outer box. Indy 500 had two colour variations of orange and red. Were one of these specific for the controller package?

Were Street Racer and Surround re-released in different coloured gatefold boxes? If so, when?

Were all of these variations just due to different factories producing the products? When Atari was doing gatefold I didn't think they had too many factories.

That's all for now. If you have any info, especially dates of reprints/ box changes, that would be awesome. Or any other info pertaining to launch or gatefolds.

• Like 2

I know there are some cartridge variations with some of the numbered cartridges and and at least a manual variation for Combat. I am not sure if I realized there were any differences in the boxes.

As far as Combat I believe it was sold separately in case you bought the Sears Tele-Games Video Arcade that came with Target Fun (Air-Sea Battle) as the pack-in.

I also did not realize Indy 500 was sold without the driving controller. I did not think that happened until the Atari Corp. rereleases in the mid to late '80s.

15 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I also did not realize Indy 500 was sold without the driving controller. I did not think that happened until the Atari Corp. rereleases in the mid to late '80s.

I guess I need to investigate that part further. It's likely you're correct. Thank you for your reply.

Edited by Just Tom
Misread the reply

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...