IGNORED

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer on reviving old Activision games….

ColecoGamer

An excerpt from the interview:

“In discussing some of the intellectual properties owned by Activision Blizzard, Spencer’s excitement may have mirrored the enthusiasm of a “StarCraft” player noticing the long-dormant franchise’s logo in Microsoft’s acquisition announcement.

“I was looking at the IP list, I mean, let’s go!” Spencer said. “ ‘King’s Quest,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ … I should know this but I think they got ‘HeXen.’ ”

“HeXen,” indeed an Activision Blizzard property, is a cult hit first-person game about using magic spells.”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

“In discussing some of the intellectual properties owned by Activision Blizzard, Spencer’s excitement may have mirrored the enthusiasm of a “StarCraft” player noticing the long-dormant franchise’s logo in Microsoft’s acquisition announcement.

“I was looking at the IP list, I mean, let’s go!” Spencer said. “ ‘King’s Quest,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ … I should know this but I think they got ‘HeXen.’ ”

“HeXen,” indeed an Activision Blizzard property, is a cult hit first-person game about using magic spells.”

Yes this is the best thing to happen to Activision in decades. Looking forward to what Microsoft’s plans are for reviving classic Activision IPs and revamping the company. Now that the bean counters aren’t in charge anymore Activision can really spread it’s wings.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Like 2

Activision had a lot of great IPs collecting dust in their basement (including Sierra’s entire adventure series). I would love to see these older games receive modern day releases instead of another Call of Duty update.

Edit: I’m aware of the King’s Quest game that was released some time ago on modern systems. It was terrible imho.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

This is what I am most hopeful of with the announcement. Even if we don't get a new Heretic or Hexen, Nightdive conversions ala DOOM 64 and Quake would be welcome additions to modern console and PC gaming. How about a new retro compilation of 2600 Activision titles? Maybe a modern, easily-accessible conversion of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (with the Sega CD and PC soundtrack)? A console conversion of StarCraft, much like Diablo II Ressurected. There are so many things they could do with their old IPs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Definitely there is a lot of IP that MS is acquiring that could really use new installments in the series and/or remasters.  Hopefully they use this acquisition very well.