IGNORED

Wizardry on A7800

Cris1997XX

Hello, everyone! I've recently read Hardcoregaming101's excellent retrospective on the Wizardry series, and I had learned one of the first 5 games was planned to be released on the Atari 8-bit computers (I don't remember the exact game, though). After that shocking discovery, I began wondering how Atari 7800 ports of Wizardry 1-5 might turn out. The dungeons would obviously be rendered with black and white lines -Unless you want to give them textures, but even that would be difficult-, same with the HUD, so we could go with either of the 320 modes. Monsters and items would be 16 colors, but still leagues better than Apple 2 and IBM PC's hopelessly primitive graphics. Sound would not be a problem either, as the TIA is an improvement over PC speakers, so no POKEY. At least, this is how I'd imagine these games on the console. Tell me if you agree with the choises, or would you change anything?

1 hour ago, Cris1997XX said:

I've just looked it up and found that there's a version for the 6502 (Microprocessor used by the Apple II, NES and Commodore 64, as we all know)

Since Wizardry originated on the Apple ][, that makes sense. ;)

I don't know if 6502 UCSD Pascal could be coaxed onto a 78 (prolly needs way too much RAM) but that would theoretically ease up a bit of the porting as it did the PC version?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

I'm in favor of this.  Wizardry is a hard game; I never beat the NES version.  But I would be excited to have it on the 7800.

Would this have all the funny stuff, like the quote "Cheap apostates!  Out!"?

I sure hope so, otherwise it wouldn't be true Wizardry ?

4 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

Since Wizardry originated on the Apple ][, that makes sense. ;)

I don't know if 6502 UCSD Pascal could be coaxed onto a 78 (prolly needs way too much RAM) but that would theoretically ease up a bit of the porting as it did the PC version?

Probably, and you're right on 6502 UCSD Pascal needing a lot of RAM. But the problem could be solved with a mapper which also functions as a memory expansion

4 minutes ago, ZylonBane said:

Seems like it would smarter to port something that people would actually enjoy playing. Wizardry may be historically significant, but as one of the very first dungeon RPGs, its gameplay is incredibly dated.

The first 5 games are still 'playable' if you actually use enough brainpower, and who said the port(s) need to be faithful? It's possible to lower the difficulty in multiple ways and add some QoL improvements -Maybe as an alternative mode-

• Like 1

I recently played through Wiz1-3&5 (DOS) and had a blast playing them.  Wiz 1 is balanced surprisingly well for such an old game, and Wiz 5 is pretty amazing overall with tons of depth.  I'd easily rank Wiz 1 and Wiz 5 among the top 15 RPGs of all time, and I've played/completed a LOT of RPGs.

Although it would be cool to see 7800 ports, I think if you were to draw a Venn diagram of "Wizardry fans" and "7800 fans" it would have exactly two people in it (@Cris1997XX and me), and I've already completed the PC versions of the games and have no interest in replaying them on a console tbh.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, Cris1997XX said:

Hello, everyone! I've recently read Hardcoregaming101's excellent retrospective on the Wizardry series, and I had learned one of the first 5 games was planned to be released on the Atari 8-bit computers (I don't remember the exact game, though).

I remember the Wizardry developers ruled out an Atari 8-bit version.   It had something to do with the Pascal runtime they used and disk access.

That doesn't rule out a rewrite though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One challenge that comes to mind is saving your progress. RPGs by nature need a lot of save data, especially with multiple party members that you can switch in and out. There are character names, classes, HP/MP, equipment held by characters, equipment held by the party, spells learned, and a whole lot of flags for events you've triggered, switches you've pushed, and chests you've opened.

Would it be better to set this up on an on-cartridge battery or use something like a SaveKey? And if the SaveKey, could the developer claim enough slots to fit all the save data?

(That said, it would be fantastic to see a full-fledged RPG on the 7800!)

• Thanks 2