IGNORED

3200 MHz compatible memory for the Atari VCS - READ THIS BEFORE PURCHASING!

Tidus79001

I had real hell getting memory that works at 3200 MHz in the Atari VCS. Apparently the Atari VCS MB has a fail safe mode that when memory doesn't work it will use the default values regardless of what the setting are you have. After setting the timing the Atari VCS goes to full fans on next boot and will not boot.  Then when then you unplug the power and plug back in again you can boot.  The BIOS will show you setting but when you run CPUID you will see that the memory is only at 2400Mhz and the Task Manager shows only 2 GB allocated regardless of what you have in the BIOS.

I have an Atari VCS Collects Edition console from Dec 2020 where G.Skill Ripjaws works fine, BUT I bought another set of this memory in Dec 2021 for the Black Walnut console I got in Dec 2021 and even though the part number was the same for the G.Skill memory (and specs) it would not work.  I know that my newer Atari VCS is not the issue because when took the set of G.Skill the memory (F4-3200C22D-32GRS) from Dec 2020 out of my other Atari VCS and put in the new one it booted without issue. G.Skill sells it as the exact same part number as my first set (same part, same UPC, same specs), but it isn't the same as the stock they sold in Dec 2020. I think G.Skill changed parts for something cheaper in the year since the set I got for my Collector Edition console (probably because of COVID shortages and they got some cheaper components).

My findings:
--------------
1) OLOy
(MD4S1632180BZ0SH) . I started with that but it crashed in GPU stress test even though it would boot ok after the setting the DRAM timing in the BIOS.  Returned it.  I thought that maybe I could get better as a few of specs were was a bit faster the the G.Skill RipJaws I had in my Collectors Edition console.
2) Bought G.Skill RipJaws (
F4-3200C22D-32GRS) from Newegg so it matched what I had bought for my Collectors Edition Atari VCS in 2020. High fans, no boot until unplugging the console and not matching the BIOS settings after plugging it back in to get the system to boot.  Returned it. (My set of this same memory from 2020 in my Atari VCS Collectors Edition console runs at 3200 MHz, but the set from 2021 I put in my Black Walnut console won't run at that speed, however if I take the older set of memory out of my Collector Edition Console and move it the Black Walnut console there are no issue, so I know that the issue is memory and not with the newer Black Walnut Atari VCS)
3) Bought G.Skill RipJaws (
F4-3200C22D-32GRS) from Amazon. High fans, no boot until unplugging the console and not matching the BIOS settings after plugging it back in to get the system to boot. Returned it.
4) Crucial memory (
CT2K16G4SFRA32A). High fans and no boot at all.
5) TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (TED432G3200C22DC-S01). BINGO!

The TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz works perfect in an Atari VCS when setting the DRAM Timing speed to 3200 MHz in the BIOS.  Good luck finding any other memory that works at 3200 MHz in the Atari VCS!  Do yourself a favor and by the TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (TED432G3200C22DC-S01) memory.

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-PC4-25600-Unbuffered-Notebook-Computer/dp/B08T17RQ87

https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820331504

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, marss said:

Thanks for the tip ;)

What changes did you do in the Bios?

If you add more memory there might be timing changes you should make as well as changes the amount of shared memory

The memory settings that I adjusted are as shown in this video at the 08:09 - 09:32 mark.

A few safe & useful things I did following the steps in this video I have linked here is as follows (the default settings in the BIOS are based on the stock 8 GB of DD4 2666 MHz memory so these should be adjusted to reflect the specs of the upgraded memory and allocate the additional memory to the GPU to optimize performance).

-------------------------------------------------

• Set the memory speed in the BIOS to ensure that clock on that is matches the rated speed for the memory (when I upgraded the memory in my Atari VCS put in 3200 MHz memory to replace the 2666 MHz stock RAM)
  • Allocate more system RAM as video memory (I increased the allocation to 8 GB since I have 32 GB installed in my Atari VCS and that will be a nice boost in games that use a lot of video memory and this is four time the default 2 GB that was based on an Atari VCS with the stock 8 GB of memory).

*One other thing shown in the video was how to change the TDP from 35W to 54W but I did not set this on my Atari VCS since I did not put any undue stress on the system and risk damaging or overheating it (for those who want to do this it is advised to replace the stock thermal pad with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to enhance the cooling as this has been reported by other to reduce temperatures on Atari VCS consoles where that was done).
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was referencing that same video and unfortunately. I Just purchased crucial brand 3200mhz 32GB ram. 

I'm hoping I don't run into boot issues. 

In that video. He mentions allocating ram to GPU in the bios and allocates 4gb out of his 16GB of ram. 

What was your allocation and is it safe to allocate 8GB out of 32 to GPU or could I go for even a higher dedicated framebuffer size? 

Capture.png

On 2/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, rayik said:

I allocated 8GB out of 32GB to video ram and it runs fine.

Good news and bad news. 

Good news is the ram is recognized but as 2400 mhz..

When I try to go into the bios, it does not accept "Piano18482" as the password. 

I'm not able to adjust my power on processing or my RAM speed, or allocation. 

Am I screwed here or has someone else figured out an alternate bios password? 

8 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Maybe someone else can help you, because I don't remember. But I do know that the password you used is no longer valid. It was changed to something much more difficult to type in.

Thanks I figured it out. It's on page 15 of the bios password thread. 

Unfortunately, after following the guide on upgrading memory speed, Allocating 8GB to framebuffer, and the wattage to 54w on the CPU, I saved my changes and was greeted with a black screen. 

What should I do now. I'm not able to get back into the bios. Should I go back to stock ram or is there a way to master reset? 

The ram upgrade was working when it was limited to 2400 mhz. 

I wonder what's causing the black screen and how to avoid it? 

If there's anyone out there.. Please help.. 

Are you using the exact ram the OP recommended? And your still getting a black screen?   

I have never found a compatible 32gb of ram for my VCS. But I never tried the OP's recommended ram, because I gave up and settled for 16gb over a year ago I think.

The black screen with high fan noise happened to me too with all versions of 32gb ram that I tested. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the VCS battery and reinstall it's default ram.

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Are you using the exact ram the OP recommended? And your still getting a black screen?   

I have never found a compatible 32gb of ram for my VCS. But I never tried the OP's recommended ram, because I gave up and settled for 16gb over a year ago I think.

The black screen with high fan noise happened to me too with all versions of 32gb ram that I tested. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the VCS battery and reinstall it's default ram.

I ordered the ram when I first got my VCS before I joined this group. 

I kind of expected this to happen after reading the OP's story and his crucial RAM brand which is what I bought. 

"4) Crucial memory (CT2K16G4SFRA32A). High fans and no boot at all."

I uninstalled the RAM and reinstalled stock and its working now at least. Then I instigated a return. 

I ordered the OP recommended RAM from NEWEGG and will see if it works. 

I have high hopes now. 

If anyone is unsure at this point.... 

DO NOT USE THE CRUCIAL BRAND 32GB 3200MHZ SODIMM RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

lol 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:05 PM, Gemintronic said:

Be interesting if someone picks up the TEAMGROUP kit and we have a second success story.

One could always tweak the memory settings and hope they are more forgiving.  I don't think memory speed is going to help enough to squeeze better performance out of PS2 and PS3 emulation (and other intensive programs).

Good news. The OP is spot on his recommendation.

I bought the TEAMGROUP RAM from his Newegg link: https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820331504

20-331-504-V04.jpg

C8-ADBD76-B826-4971-B6-CC-08-DB03664-EC8

The install went as planned and is 32GB and 3200Mhz speed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, Tidus79001 said:

--------------
1) OLOy
(MD4S1632180BZ0SH) . I started with that but it crashed in GPU stress test even though it would boot ok after the setting the DRAM timing in the BIOS.  Returned it.  I thought that maybe I could get better as a few of specs were was a bit faster the the G.Skill RipJaws I had in my Collectors Edition console.
2) Bought G.Skill RipJaws (
F4-3200C22D-32GRS) from Newegg so it matched what I had bought for my Collectors Edition Atari VCS in 2020. High fans, no boot until unplugging the console and not matching the BIOS settings after plugging it back in to get the system to boot.  Returned it. (My set of this same memory from 2020 in my Atari VCS Collectors Edition console runs at 3200 MHz, but the set from 2021 I put in my Black Walnut console won't run at that speed, however if I take the older set of memory out of my Collector Edition Console and move it the Black Walnut console there are no issue, so I know that the issue is memory and not with the newer Black Walnut Atari VCS)
3) Bought G.Skill RipJaws (
F4-3200C22D-32GRS) from Amazon. High fans, no boot until unplugging the console and not matching the BIOS settings after plugging it back in to get the system to boot. Returned it.
4) Crucial memory (
CT2K16G4SFRA32A). High fans and no boot at all.
5) TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (TED432G3200C22DC-S01). BINGO!

The TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz works perfect in an Atari VCS when setting the DRAM Timing speed to 3200 MHz in the BIOS.  Good luck finding any other memory that works at 3200 MHz in the Atari VCS!  Do yourself a favor and by the TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (TED432G3200C22DC-S01) memory.

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-PC4-25600-Unbuffered-Notebook-Computer/dp/B08T17RQ87

https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820331504

I've been watching this thread and thank you for the tip. I bought this memory and just installed it. It seems to be working fine at 3200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:05 PM, Gemintronic said:

Be interesting if someone picks up the TEAMGROUP kit and we have a second success story.

One could always tweak the memory settings and hope they are more forgiving.  I don't think memory speed is going to help enough to squeeze better performance out of PS2 and PS3 emulation (and other intensive programs).

I bought the Teamgroup memory and it works perfectly at 3200 MHz (the system boots properly on the first boot after setting the memory to 3200 MHz, CPUID show it is running at the correct MHz for 3200 and Unigine Heaven Benchmark stress test run to completion each time without any issues).  Whatever you do don't get the G.Skill RipJaws as they changed the components in the memory in 2021 and even though the part number, specs and UPC are listed as identical to what was being sold in 2020 the 2021 memory IS NOT the same as the memory that was being sold in 2020.

All I can say is after a lot of frustration with testing and returning several sticks of memory the Teamgroup memory was the only 3200 MHz sticks in 2021 that worked in my Atari VCS.  I don't think there are any other options out there that I didn't try.  Good luck trying to anyone trying to find another set of memory that works at 3200 MHz.

Good to to see that 2 other Atari VCS owners have tested the Teamgroup memory and is reporting back all is working for them as well using the memory at 3200 MHz in their Atari VCS.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, hoagtech said:

Good news. The OP is spot on his recommendation.

I bought the TEAMGROUP RAM from his Newegg link: https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820331504

20-331-504-V04.jpg

C8-ADBD76-B826-4971-B6-CC-08-DB03664-EC8

The install went as planned and is 32GB and 3200Mhz speed.

18 hours ago, SoCalAttorney said:

I've been watching this thread and thank you for the tip. I bought this memory and just installed it. It seems to be working fine at 3200.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Does any one know if the 16gb of team group ram would work just as well as the 32gb? Not looking for anything that intense and figured I could get the 2 8gb for half the price instead of getting 2 16gb sticks. The timings and everything match up, almost same part number also just 8gb stick instead of 16gb

I am having the strangest experiences with my VCS, it's like Bizarro VCS where nothing is as anyone describes. (mine didn't seem to have any sort of BIOS password at all, but it appeared to be entirely brand new, not sure how that's even possible. I couldn't get into the BIOS at all until I let it fully upgrade, but now I press ESC on bootup, go into settings, and I can access everything without a password and it says the password is cleared)

Sadly that is going on to the Team Group 32gb x 3200mhz RAM, I bought from the Amazon link in the OP because it was $12 cheaper than Newegg (sold by Team Group, Inc, and shipped from Amazon. I 'assumed' that was as legit as it gets) and got the dreaded Full Speed Fan Spin and no boot from the start-- I assumed it would at least boot normally until I pushed the RAM timings to 3200mhz, but it wouldn't even turn on with that RAM installed. Putting the original 8gb back in was fine, which is good, I guess at least I didn't break anything!

Not sure if I should try to replace it (Seems a bit like it's DOA if it won't even boot at default VCS timings), or order from Newegg, or if something's changed and this RAM isn't good anymore. I did notice the TG Ram had RAM chips on both sides of the module itself. Probably normal for RAM that dense but I'm curious what might have changed, not that it matters since it didn't work. Has anyone ordered really recently (in the last couple of weeks) from either place with success?

Edited by Justin42

• 2 weeks later...

TEAMGROUP memory is a partial failure for me at this point.  Bought from Newegg last week... Installed it and it ran great with default settings. Went in today and made the suggested bios changes for 3200.....black screen, full fan :(

Will go back in tomorrow to see if it will come back up after putting the old RAM back in and going back to default settings.....

19 hours ago, JR> said:

TEAMGROUP memory is a partial failure for me at this point.  Bought from Newegg last week... Installed it and it ran great with default settings. Went in today and made the suggested bios changes for 3200.....black screen, full fan :(

Will go back in tomorrow to see if it will come back up after putting the old RAM back in and going back to default settings.....

You mean 1600 right?

You have to set it to 1600 for the 3200 mz RAM

33 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

You mean 1600 right?

You have to set it to 1600 for the 3200 mz RAM

Yes.  Runs fine at 1200/2400 but no go at 1600/3200. Tried 1400/2800 but still get black screen/full fan.  Can live with 2400...

Has anyone done any checking if the compatibility issues are related to dual-rank vs single-rank RAM? I know the common Crucial set is a no-go, but the commonly mentioned and slightly cheaper set is CT2K16G4SFRA32A which is not guaranteed to be either single or dual rank. Theoretically dual rank would be better performance, but is usually a bit more expensive. 

There is Crucial CT2K16G4SFD832A which is specced on their webpage to be dual rank and I can't find if anyone's tried it. (it's also quite pricey) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q7T9NSC?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1