IGNORED

SprEd - New Atari Sprite Editor

@bocianu Thanks for making this tool better and better!  I have uploaded several animations to the library that the A/W/A team created with the old Flash-based PM animation tool and used in some of our games we have created in the past year.

I have a couple more suggestions:

1. Save feature: can you bring up a dialog that allows you to select the folder where the file will be saved?

2. Library: I think the library could be split into at least 2 sections: a. single frame bitmap, c. multiple-frame animations.    That way, if you are looking for a simple bitmap for a character, you can go to the "single frame bitmap" section.  

3. Sprite editor: It would be helpful to place the binary/hex/decimal values for each of the colors directly next to each row of the bitmap.  That way, if you make a simple change to just one or two bits on a row, you don't have to go through the entire export, you just see the changed values as you type them.   Even better, allow the user to type in a value in binary/hex/decimal for each row/color and it would update the bitmap for that row.

42 minutes ago, rra said:

1. Save feature: can you bring up a dialog that allows you to select the folder where the file will be saved?

No. Unfortunately it is impossible for now. I have checked this in several places and it cannot be done from the browser.

2. Library: I think the library could be split into at least 2 sections: a. single frame bitmap, c. multiple-frame animations.    That way, if you are looking for a simple bitmap for a character, you can go to the "single frame bitmap" section.  

Yes, the library will get updated soon. Search bar and some filters. This will happen sooner rather than later.

3. Sprite editor: It would be helpful to place the binary/hex/decimal values for each of the colors directly next to each row of the bitmap.  That way, if you make a simple change to just one or two bits on a row, you don't have to go through the entire export, you just see the changed values as you type them.   Even better, allow the user to type in a value in binary/hex/decimal for each row/color and it would update the bitmap for that row.

For single sprite it is not a bad idea, but I cannot imagine that for 4 players with missiles :) That would be a mess on the screen.

And if you want to type your sprite bytes manualy, then probably you do not need an editior for your work, because you already have your data :)

It like reversed editor function. Or maybe I do not get it :D I see no scenario where it can be useful. It's always easier do to one click with the mouse to set a bit than type whole byte for the row.

Edited by bocianu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bocianu said:

No. Unfortunately it is impossible for now. I have checked this in several places and it cannot be done from the browser.

Yes, the library will get updated soon. Search bar and some filters. This will happen sooner rather than later.

For single sprite it is not a bad idea, but I cannot imagine that for 4 players with missiles :) That would be a mess on the screen.

And if you want to type your sprite bytes manualy, then probably you do not need an editior for your work, because you already have your data :)

It like reversed editor function. Or maybe I do not get it :D I see no scenario where it can be useful. It's always easier do to one click with the mouse to set a bit than type whole byte for the row.

I understand what you are saying that if you already have the sprite data then you don't need a sprite editor.  But there is a lot of source code out there (BASIC and assembly) that has data for sprites, and you might want to copy that data into a sprite editor and see what it looks like, and then make edits.  Many people make tweaks to Atari 8bit games that are nothing more than improving sprites.  They get the sprite data from a hex dump of the game's binary data.  They could benefit from typing that data into the sprite editor, then making edits to the sprites and saving out the changes.

• Like 1

@bocianuGreat tool which seems to just be getting better and better!  I'd love to see some talented individual create the following iconic animations using this tool sometime, if for no other reason to see them running on the A8. (Flashback, Another World, Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Abe's Oddessey, and (anyone care to guess the last one... thrown in for fun?). I love the cat animation XEX earlier @bocianu ;)

Stealer pixel art GIF - Find on GIFER   Delphine software taiko out of this world GIF - Find on GIFER  another world gifs | WiffleGif  The Secrets of Monkey Island's Source Code | Video Game History Foundation

Day of the Tentacle, a timeless LucasArts classic | NeoGAF  KotroV | Oddworld inhabitants, Pixel art, Video game tattoo

18 Wonderfully Geeky 8-Bit GIFs Of Classic Movies | Pixel art, Pixel art  characters, Pixel animation

• Like 2

SprEd 1.0.3 is out

flamepaint.gif

What is new:

- You can search in the library from now on, for now only by name and author, but I will add some more filters
- I added option that you can draw during animation. The idea by pajero was brilliant. Drawing explosions and flames, has never been easier! (Option: Draw on Animation)
- The ability to edit multiple frames simultaneously. Select a range with the shift at the bottom and all operations work over the entire frame range (option: Edit Frame Range)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The next version of the editor SprEd 1.1.0

A lot of new features:
- library sorting
- animated previews in the library
- added ability to move and clone a selected range of frames
- optional linking of colours c0-c2 and c1-c3 when drawing on 4 sprites
- a new "Frame Delay" mode that allows you to set the duration of an individual animation frame
- export of animation to GIF file

cinema.png

cinema.gif

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

New version of the SprEd editor 1.1.2

New features (mostly proposed by @pajero_pn) :

- the prefix to the labels in the export has been added (set in the options)
- it is possible now to insert a sprite background as a picture (format *.mic, any size up to 64KB, assuming that the data is 2 bits per pixel and the last 4 bytes are colours)
- in the options you can set the width of the loaded background (in bytes), or give 0 - then the line width adapts to the width of the image (with one byte precision)
- the options now include vertical and horizontal offset of the sprite on the background (max 8 bits)
- various bug fixes

spredoptions1.png

These modifications required quite a lot of changes, so probably you can expect some new errors ;) 
For help in finding them I sincerely thank you and promise to correct them.

Edited by bocianu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cRc_atari said:

Hi,

I have strange colors in my animation

colors.png

skull.spr 1.05 kB · 2 downloads

probably I am not loading "common palette" option. 

just switch it and it should solve the problem.

thanks, I will fix it in next version.

EDIT: already fixed.

But you have to save this file again to store "common palette" option properly.

Edited by bocianu

SprEd 1.1.4

Fixes:
- Added "Image Offset" option for the background. Allows you to freely move the image in the background of the sprite.
- fixed bug preventing entering keyboard shortcut letters in the options textfield.
- fixed bug in storing/loading "common palette" option
- fixed rare palette error during export to gif file

• Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 9:03 PM, bocianu said:

A running cat in its natural habitat ;)

catrun.xex 1.93 kB · 29 downloads

@bocianu    Great ongoing work to the editor.

Just a quick one. Seeing the above Catrun.xex running on real hardware was great. Do you have any similar new animation XEX's you'd be willing to post up here like the Catrun one. It's nice to see it running on screen on real hardware in it's own right. I'd love to see these animations on screen in a very short one screen demo/game scenerio for example.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, Mathy said:

Like Mashed Turtles?

Not looking to hijack this thread, but seriously you haven't heard of Nintendo's Animal Crossing?  It's a game where you are a human living on a remote island along with a group of cartoon animals.  You build friendships with the animals, develop (and eventually terraform) the island, and collect lots of stuff.  The game has literally hundreds of different animals you can meet.

2021012909512300_s.thumb.jpg.f21be512c79d7d139c73b20e48746a18.jpg

Anyway, the animal sprites in the demo screen fit the aesthetic for a 2D adaptation of the game on the 8-bit.  I do hope the sprites end up in some game; the artwork is a lot of fun.

Edited by FifthPlayer

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

Is there a way to put the editor in single sprite mode (e.g., no sprite merge)? 

You can paint using only first color C0, and it mimics single sprite mode.

During export second sprite is just a set of zeroes to be dropped out.

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

Also, what if you want to create a single sprite using all 4 players?  Is that option available?

Yes, set options like that:

image.png.d0365c6302bbf9381c6682c9099ce285.png

and you have 40 pixels wide sprite - made of all the players and missiles:

image.thumb.png.db8c49edf29b8ead175540fdbcaa3d14.png

This little thingy:

image.png.c91380c690e58a31e4ffcee7b40d4213.png

when is active and OR colors are selected, lets you draw on all players at once.

To exlude missiles, use other mode and adjust distances (gaps):

image.png.5bfcd4ee8373bb0f2151fb07de401f80.png

Edited by bocianu
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PPR said:

Good morning,

i am using the editor from MatoSimi because of the export function "MADS Assembler + 3 shifts right"....  

whats about this function in the original SprEd??

Well, "my" editor is for software sprites, basically char-based animation.

The original editor is for hardware sprites (PMG) - it does not make sense to shift the data.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...