IGNORED

No Mans Sky

neogeo1982

• 5 months later...

@neogeo1982 Curious what your take is on the newly released Endurance patch?

I loaded it up first thing when I got home from work last night and I've noticed a few things.

I have the same bug that seems to be present on all platforms where my scientist is showing up in the middle of the science terminal. However, the real issue with this, is that on my game at least. No matter where I place the terminals or rotate it, the scientist is always in the middle of the terminal and as a result, I'm unable to actually get them to show up to talk to them and I actually haven't completely everything with them yet. Ugh...

The other issue is all the hype on he new denser Asteroid fields. That might be true on the other platforms, but it isn't so much for the PS4. If anything, they aren't that much more dense than they already were but yet are MUCH further apart now than they used to be. At least, that is what I've experienced on several systems I've warped into. Also the different style of asteroids isn't that different from what we already had on the PS4 prior. 

Now I'm sure some of these concessions are required on the older and aging PS4 hardware compared to the newer consoles. I would be fine with that, if they didn't clearly have the same patch notes attesting that the same changes are present. I do like the new rooms for the freighters and I've noticed that all freighters and frigates have gotten a nice increase in overall graphical detail. But I'm not sure I'm a fan of the changed asteroid fields since they don't really seem to be that much different on the PS4 version of the game compared to what we had before.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@neogeo1982 Curious what your take is on the newly released Endurance patch?

I loaded it up first thing when I got home from work last night and I've noticed a few things.

I have the same bug that seems to be present on all platforms where my scientist is showing up in the middle of the science terminal. However, the real issue with this, is that on my game at least. No matter where I place the terminals or rotate it, the scientist is always in the middle of the terminal and as a result, I'm unable to actually get them to show up to talk to them and I actually haven't completely everything with them yet. Ugh...

The other issue is all the hype on he new denser Asteroid fields. That might be true on the other platforms, but it isn't so much for the PS4. If anything, they aren't that much more dense than they already were but yet are MUCH further apart now than they used to be. At least, that is what I've experienced on several systems I've warped into. Also the different style of asteroids isn't that different from what we already had on the PS4 prior. 

Now I'm sure some of these concessions are required on the older and aging PS4 hardware compared to the newer consoles. I would be fine with that, if they didn't clearly have the same patch notes attesting that the same changes are present. I do like the new rooms for the freighters and I've noticed that all freighters and frigates have gotten a nice increase in overall graphical detail. But I'm not sure I'm a fan of the changed asteroid fields since they don't really seem to be that much different on the PS4 version of the game compared to what we had before.

I wouldn't judge any NMS update right after it releases.   They are notoriously full of horrid bugs that you wonder how they made out the door.   Give it a week or two of bug fixing and see if it's gotten any better.

As for me personally,  I have not played it yet,  but I am interested  in what the new freighter building scheme provides.     I never cared much for freighter interiors post-1.5 (NEXT update),  they were boring and limited what you could build.   Prior to 1.5 they used the cube base parts and you could build more interesting things , like multi-level rooms with catwalks.

As for asteroids,  I've long wanted to see proper asteroid "belts",  not the frequent asteroid fields the game has had since launch.   I don't know if this update moves the game in that direction, but I'll see.

• Like 1

Well in further playing this quite a bit last night, the asteroids are different in that they look different than they used to. But on the PS4 version they aren't nearly as heavily dense as has been shown on the other platforms. Similar with the black hole in that its new effect is different on the PS4, but not as pronounced as I've seen for PC and other more modern systems. 

Again, I'm not surprised given the older hardware of the PS4 in general.

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

As for me personally,  I have not played it yet,  but I am interested  in what the new freighter building scheme provides.     I never cared much for freighter interiors post-1.5 (NEXT update),  they were boring and limited what you could build.   Prior to 1.5 they used the cube base parts and you could build more interesting things , like multi-level rooms with catwalks.

As for asteroids,  I've long wanted to see proper asteroid "belts",  not the frequent asteroid fields the game has had since launch.   I don't know if this update moves the game in that direction, but I'll see.

Some people aren't going to like the new frieghter changes because what they did was essentially remove the ability to build the individual bits and bobs and consolidate these options as new rooms. As an example, I lost my large refiner in the process of this update that I had on my freighter originally, along with my weapons, science, ag, and construction stations because I actually had those placed around the catwalk on the bridge. The new update doesn't allow anything on the bridge now so those were lost and I had to recreate them. But instead of them being little stations you can place pretty much anywhere, they are dedicated rooms. Now you can chain the rooms together and you have the ability to change the color scheme of the rooms, but for the most part the stations are always center in the rooms. 

Asteroids are still random smaller fields like they always have been, but there is much less of them as compared to before and when you do encounter the field of them, they are denser overall. So basically what happens now is that there are random solo rocks out and about throughout space and in some places you will come upon a much denser area that has a lot more of them. But again, on the ps4 they don't really seem to be that much more dense than they were before. I suspect much of this is due to the PS4 still having a more limited draw distance as compared to the newer platforms. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well in further playing this quite a bit last night, the asteroids are different in that they look different than they used to. But on the PS4 version they aren't nearly as heavily dense as has been shown on the other platforms. Similar with the black hole in that its new effect is different on the PS4, but not as pronounced as I've seen for PC and other more modern systems. 

Again, I'm not surprised given the older hardware of the PS4 in general.

PS4 has always kinda struggled with this game.   Although the have still managed to improve it a lot and add in PS4 optimizations along the way.

I have the PS5 and PS4 (for VR) versions installed on my PS5,  I'll check out what the differences are in the asteroids.

31 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The new update doesn't allow anything on the bridge now so those were lost and I had to recreate them. But instead of them being little stations you can place pretty much anywhere, they are dedicated rooms. Now you can chain the rooms together and you have the ability to change the color scheme of the rooms, but for the most part the stations are always center in the rooms. 

I didn't even realize you could place things in the bridge!  (Never tried)

One thing I miss in pre-1.5 was when there was a catwalk between the bridge and buildable area of the freighter and the catwalk was right over the docking bay, so you could jump off the catwalk (with a little jetpack boost to slow your fall) to quickly get to your ship

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I didn't even realize you could place things in the bridge!  (Never tried)

One thing I miss in pre-1.5 was when there was a catwalk between the bridge and buildable area of the freighter and the catwalk was right over the docking bay, so you could jump off the catwalk (with a little jetpack boost to slow your fall) to quickly get to your ship

Well it was limited on what could be placed. But yeah... I had my construction terminal just to the left of when you first walked onto the bridge on the lower level. Right next to it was my science terminal. A little further left from that was where I had my weapons terminal, and then on the upper level of the bridge I placed my Ag terminal. Each had overseers at them. The new update removed them completely and left other parts of my freighter architecture essentially messed up. So I ended up going through the entire thing, deleting section by section until only the bridge and initial corridor that is changed was left and redid it. 

The really interesting bit is that my research terminal that I started with... is still on the bridge immediately left of when you first walk in. 

The entire stairs bit from hangar to bridge is still there, but shorten up a bit on the distance you go, but... it is completely irrelevant with the addition of a new teleporter that is now in the middle of the sections of the hangar docks. When you enter it, it immediately takes you to the bridge with no load in time required. So... I've not used the stairs since.

Overall though, the game has received a lot of graphical overhaul from when I first played it back in 2016 when I first bought it. Honestly, this month has been the first time I've really gotten back into playing the game in several years and it was quite a shock at what all had changed and just as I thought I had the freighter stuff figured out, this new update completely changes that. 

BTW a new patch was dropped today that addresses the science overseer being stuck in the middle of the terminal so I should be able to get past that once I get that new update in place.

One thing they didn't do, that I had hoped they would was to make the random derelict freighters actually be able to be boarded and explored. It seems that is still locked down to only the ones you buy the locations for from the scrap dealers. I really dislike it when I'm taken out of random pulse drive and encounter one of these things and can't do anything with it but boost past it and then pulse right along again.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Overall though, the game has received a lot of graphical overhaul from when I first played it back in 2016 when I first bought it. Honestly, this month has been the first time I've really gotten back into playing the game in several years and it was quite a shock at what all had changed and just as I thought I had the freighter stuff figured out, this new update completely changes that. 

I just got a PS5 recently and am still redownloading everything still. So I will be onto NMS to play the new update soo hopefully.

• Like 1