IGNORED

Crazy final prices on CMD HD-100 and FD-2000

OLD CS1

WTH? I don't get it to be quite honest. I mean, I guess if I were a museum collecting these for an exhibition or something maybe. But for real world usage there are so many better and more convenient storage options now for the Commodore that don't cost what would be a month of rent for me. 

I wonder what the person who spend $1600 is going to do with that hard drive. 

I mean maybe there is a real reason it is so desirable to pay that much aside from the collector standpoint knowing that other options exist? 

@eightbit I really cannot answer that.  I mean, it is really cool to have my HD-40 with a 256MB SD in it, but I would not have paid over $1,000.  I only paid a third, and that was just outside what I really wanted to pay for one.  Harking to another thread, the SD2IEC supports CMD native partition images meaning, other than a ready-to-die SCSI hard drive, a real CMD does not have anything functionally to offer other than a cool factor, IMHO.  I wonder if people are speculating on what software will be found on these drives.

Some other closings: HD-40 for $1,175; RAMLink w/unknown RAM for $709; CMD 1750XL 2MB REU for $374.  And those are just what I have been watching.  On the one hand, good for him for being able to pull that kind of money for his late brother's estate.  On the other hand, yeesh.

He just listed a SuperCPU, currently at $202.50 -- this one I definitely see going through the roof.

Meanwhile, someone else has listed a RAMLink w/16MB currently bidding at $676 with 16 hours remaining. This guy also has an MSD SD-2 at $355 right now.  Some really nice Commodore kit showing up this month.

• Like 1

[mention=21417]eightbit[/mention]Harking to another thread, the SD2IEC supports CMD native partition images meaning, other than a ready-to-die SCSI hard drive, a real CMD does not have anything functionally to offer other than a cool factor, IMHO.  I wonder if people are speculating on what software will be found on these drives.

I agree the prices are through the roof, but the CMD HD has more to offer than SD2IEC. The HD has a CPU that can be programmed like any other old school drive so applications can use this to load in the background without hickups. It also supports parallel loading through the RAMLink.

2 hours ago, bjonte said:

I agree the prices are through the roof, but the CMD HD has more to offer than SD2IEC. The HD has a CPU that can be programmed like any other old school drive so applications can use this to load in the background without hickups. It also supports parallel loading through the RAMLink.

It also has the SWAP8 and SWAP9 buttons, which are useful without other difficult to obtain hardware.  It is indeed a 64k 6502-based computer in the background;what utilizes this feature?

32 minutes ago, bjonte said:

Bruce Lee II. :D

Right, it utilizes the CPU of a 15x1 or CMD HD for back-ground loading.

34 minutes ago, bjonte said:

There are turbo loader systems around with support for CMD HD so games using them can at least be copied to the drive and started from there.

How good of a job does the CMD HD do of emulating a 1541?  Would most fast-loaders work with it (at least a helluva lot better than the SD2IEC?)  I know I am not using my HD to its fullest abilities, especially not running GEOS on it.

How good of a job does the CMD HD do of emulating a 1541?

A terrible job. It doesn’t even try to and says so clearly in the manual. It mimics the sector layout and if a program is using the kernal to access sectors it will be reasonbly compatible (but faster). But the hardware is different. I/O register layouts and CPU speed is different so as soon as you send code to the drive to do something (like turbo loaders do), you need to do something specific for the CMD HD.

11 minutes ago, bjonte said:

A terrible job. It doesn’t even try to and says so clearly in the manual. It mimics the sector layout and if a program is using the kernal to access sectors it will be reasonbly compatible (but faster). But the hardware is different. I/O register layouts and CPU speed is different so as soon as you send code to the drive to do something (like turbo loaders do), you need to do something specific for the CMD HD.

See, now all I am thinking about is a 1541 VM running on a 6502 with a CMD HD kernel running as a hypervisor. Something akin to how the 1541 DOS essentially runs two virtual machines, the job queue machine and the DOS machine, whereas each was run on its own CPU in the 4040.

• 2 weeks later...