IGNORED

At Least Once A Year, Every Year...

8 hours ago, schuwalker said:

I really wished Tecmo would’ve pushed for a sequel in the NES or even the SNES lifespan.

A sequel in a similar vein of NES Rygar would have been great to see.  

Unfortunately, many years passed until a follow-up happened, in the form of the 'Legendary Adventure' PS2 title.  It was a good game, though didn't really 'feel' like Rygar to me.  

When playing the Arcade original game (Courtesy of the REM! emulator - circa ~1997), it is the only time I can recall being disappointed with the Arcade original compared to the console port.  I was expecting the NES game with better graphics and sound.  Instead, the Arcade original gameplay experience was such a let down.

NES ports did not always turn out to my liking, but in this case, it was knocked out of the park, spectacularly.

• Like 1

The ps2 version started out good, as you went on though, it didn’t feel like a Rygar game at all. That was my big complaint - no reference to the NES version at all.

Like you, I didn’t play the arcade version at least a year I first played the NES version. And I still don’t care for it. I think at that time it reminded me of Rastan which was the superior game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 10:40 AM, Trebor said:

A sequel in a similar vein of NES Rygar would have been great to see.  

Unfortunately, many years passed until a follow-up happened, in the form of the 'Legendary Adventure' PS2 title.  It was a good game, though didn't really 'feel' like Rygar to me.  

When playing the Arcade original game (Courtesy of the REM! emulator - circa ~1997), it is the only time I can recall being disappointed with the Arcade original compared to the console port.  I was expecting the NES game with better graphics and sound.  Instead, the Arcade original gameplay experience was such a let down.

NES ports did not always turn out to my liking, but in this case, it was knocked out of the park, spectacularly.

As a kid, I liked the arcade Rygar, but loved the NES version.  The Adventure/RPG thing was much more to my liking at that point in life.  And to this day, when I think of Rygar, I think of the NES first.

Also, I loved the PS2 version.  ?  I wasn't a big enough "Rygar" fan to know whether it did or didn't feel like a Rygar game, but as it was, I loved it.  God of War came along and I was like "hhmm... I think I've played this, but with a more likable (to me) character"

3 hours ago, schuwalker said:

The ps2 version started out good, as you went on though, it didn’t feel like a Rygar game at all. That was my big complaint - no reference to the NES version at all.

Like you, I didn’t play the arcade version at least a year I first played the NES version. And I still don’t care for it. I think at that time it reminded me of Rastan which was the superior game.

Rastan was a favorite of mine on SMS and arcade.  But I always pretended it was Conan and they just had a typo/lost in translation kind of thing.

• Like 2

I remember that, it also hit the Wii which probably enough people don't even remember.  I almost got it, but it just didn't seem good for me.  I never could figure out Rygar but never tried it until like the later 90s so maybe that's why.  I do realize though it's the superior game as far as design, mechanics, play defniitely, but at the same time via an early stand alone pre-MAME era emulator I put some decent free play quarters into the arcade which was nice, but quite linear.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:21 AM, roots.genoa said:

Damn Flo, you could have looked at their profile pic to get a hint! ;) It's like asking what is @digdugnate's favorite game! (it's Pac-Man)

I would have mixed up Rygar and Rastan anyway, I'm dyslexic about those games. They seem to have a real following though, maybe it's not too late to try them out and see if I can be a Rygarian too. 

• Like 2