IGNORED

The start of my adventure in archiving my A8 floppies

Tuxon86

Hi, 

I’m still waiting for my 65XL to get here from Mexico before I send it out for upgrading on the other side of the Atlantic. A U1MB and a VBXE is in its future thank to @flashjazzcat. I also, already have an SIO2SD, Fujinet 1.6, and an SIO2USB. The latter is hooked to one 1050.I’ve 3 other drives to test but I’m missing psu for those. I also have a kryoflux and 5.25 drive but  I haven’t set that up yet.

I would like to start archiving my disk. At the moment I only have APE and Prosystem. Seems to work ok for unprotected menu disk, but copy protected disk my need the use of a better software and setup. I’d also love to find  an application that would permit me to create/edit/modify ATR, something like DiskMaster for the C64.

For the moment I’m testing with Altria (from the Wudsn IDE). 

Can someone help me find whatever piece of software I may be missing, and maybe a few pointers…

Link to my archive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NOPM4fwfJai7CTtWkE1HpPcUfVVmXzRK?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

First couple done. I try making .ATR first and if this fails, I go for the .PRO, then I test them in Altira.

As I said in a previous thread, those are floppies that comes from an ex-bbs owner. Most are "menu" disk, where you chose which games/applications to run. I really miss an Atari version of DirMaster. I'd love to be able to create one atr per game instead of trying to index all those disk images.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

I'm using a 1050-2-PC right now. Super practical and easy to use if you have cracked / unprotected floppies and only want to set up your 1050. 

Hi

Besides from Lotharek...where do I get one of those 1050-2-PC?

Kind regards,

Luis.

16 hours ago, Tuxon86 said:

Hi, 

I’m still waiting for my 65XL to get here from Mexico before I send it out for upgrading on the other side of the Atlantic. A U1MB and a VBXE is in its future thank to @flashjazzcat. I also, already have an SIO2SD, Fujinet 1.6, and an SIO2USB. The latter is hooked to one 1050.I’ve 3 other drives to test but I’m missing psu for those. I also have a kryoflux and 5.25 drive but  I haven’t set that up yet.

I would like to start archiving my disk. At the moment I only have APE and Prosystem. Seems to work ok for unprotected menu disk, but copy protected disk my need the use of a better software and setup. I’d also love to find  an application that would permit me to create/edit/modify ATR, something like DiskMaster for the C64.

For the moment I’m testing with Altria (from the Wudsn IDE). 

Can someone help me find whatever piece of software I may be missing, and maybe a few pointers…

Thanks in advance!

Did they ever make a 65XL, or was that a Mexico-only model? I don't ever recall hearing of one? Or did you mean a 65XE? There's a big difference in build quality between the XL and XE lines.

Your basic setup should work just fine for backing up regular, user created, non-copy-protected stuff, but don't waste your time trying to copy commercial/copy-protected titles with it. For that you'll want to get your Kryoflux up and running and learn the ins and outs of it. Also, before you spend a lot of time trying to make flux copies of any of those types of titles, you really should look into the Atari Preservation Society and see if they're things that they've already preserved. If so, it may not be worth your time other than for a learning opportunity. There are different versions of some titles out there though, so I guess there's always a chance you may run into something like that.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, bfollowell said:

Did they ever make a 65XL, or was that a Mexico-only model? I don't ever recall hearing of one? Or did you mean a 65XE? There's a big difference in build quality between the XL and XE lines.

Your basic setup should work just fine for backing up regular, user created, non-copy-protected stuff, but don't waste your time trying to copy commercial/copy-protected titles with it. For that you'll want to get your Kryoflux up and running and learn the ins and outs of it. Also, before you spend a lot of time trying to make flux copies of any of those types of titles, you really should look into the Atari Preservation Society and see if they're things that they've already preserved. If so, it may not be worth your time other than for a learning opportunity. There are different versions of some titles out there though, so I guess there's always a chance you may run into something like that.

Good luck!

No that's a typo. It's a 65XE... 

I hate typing on glass...

My main motivation going through those disk is first for safekeeping. I know I can probably get a near complete collection of A8 commercial software from some site, but I like when I find something either homemade or some obscure titles that I'd never tried or sen before. It's like a treasure hunt!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

No that's a typo. It's a 65XE... 

I hate typing on glass...

My main motivation going through those disk is first for safekeeping. I know I can probably get a near complete collection of A8 commercial software from some site, but I like when I find something either homemade or some obscure titles that I'd never tried or sen before. It's like a treasure hunt!

I know what you mean. I had a hoot going through some of my old disks and finding old themes and term papers from college. It can be a real blast from the past! Enjoy!

Restarted the process this time with my Kryoflux instead of my SIO2PC. I've setup a shared folder on my Google Drive and will poste the links to it later on today. People will have the choice of the full archive (7z), incremental updates (7z), And single files (.ATX and zipped Kryoflux Stream).

File nomenclature will be: Title (*Version, Publisher [Developper], year, Creator [Programmer/Adaptor])

Ex.:  Sneakers (Sirius, 1981, Mark Turmell [Hunter Hancock])

Ex.:  Dandy (v1.0, APX, 1983, John Howard Palevich)

Ex.:  Realm Of Impossibility (EA [BRAM Inc], 1984, Mike Edwards)

Menu disk will be named: ###-Side and will have a text table of content of the same name.

I presently test for boot using Altirra, but not much more since I plan to test them on real hardware later on (APE with VAPI linked to my 65XE).

See you later, back to work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Please mark if the dumps are from original disks or copies.

I also have one specific request: It would be great if you upload photos or scans of original disks together with the dumps.

Thanks from a8preservation.com.

Will do!